BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toxophilus

Re: BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Post by toxophilus »

:spyder: Well, that was quick :spyder:

I can certainly get a good grip on it!

Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Thought i recognized the pic. Didn't know your forum name before :)
Congrats, mine will hopefully arrive in Sweden sometime next year..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:09 pm
Like you said... it's not yours until the local Post delivers it to your hot sweaty mitts!!! :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I totally forgot these are linerless, that makes the jade look a lot cleaner.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rivy

Post by rivy »

So pretty - sad I missed these. Missed the Knife Joy PM2 today too... off my game this week.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Has there been any official mention of SE & DLC models? Sal often says it's up to us... so maybe we should start whining already. I agree that the lack of liners enhances the jade appeal, I hadn't thought about that.

Also, has anybody mentioned anything about a rerelease of this one?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

DougC-3 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:44 pm
Has there been any official mention of SE & DLC models? Sal often says it's up to us... so maybe we should start whining already. I agree that the lack of liners enhances the jade appeal, I hadn't thought about that.

Also, has anybody mentioned anything about a rerelease of this one?

BHQ has never re-released any of their Jade/M4 exclusivea, so I don't see that happening. I do think we will see a DLC version though. If they really wanted to get crazy they could do Satin SE, then DLC PE, then DLC SE. I'm sure all would sell out in minutes.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I skipped out on the pm2 today and sold my v-toku delica so I could try out this strange little knife instead...and mine arrived today. Oh man it's a cute little thing! I might go as far as to say adorable. :p The lock is definitely a little stiff at first, but is much easier to disengage after just a few minutes of playing with it. For once I think having small hands is an advantage - I can really get my finger tips into the grooves around the lock and grip onto the ball. I'm not gonna lie, I'd prefer dlc over satin with the jade g10, but I'm still just happy to have a dodo at all. It'll never be an edc kinda knife for me, but I think it'll be very useful when I'm weaving, crafting, etc. And of course I'll give it the ol' cardboard challenge. If spyderco or blade HQ ever releases another SE version, I'll definitely get this guy a brother.

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Nice shot JuPaul! Looks like a nice, even reverse S grind (not reversed for southpaws ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

toxophilus wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:09 pm
Like you said... it's not yours until the local Post delivers it to your hot sweaty mitts!!! :D
Don't remind me man.. It's always agony buying from overseas, even more so when they can't simply send you another one if the brown stuff hits the fan during transit..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I got a board warning for asking for help getting one of these >.>

I'm such a bad dude! How dare I want a knife?!

Can't get one through normal channels.
Can't ask anyone for assistance on this forum.
I don't like to complain, but it kinda rubbed me the wrong way getting dinged for something that happens quite regularly on this forum...

Either way, I'll bow out now. Good luck everyone!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DougC-3 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:00 pm
Nice shot JuPaul! Looks like a nice, even reverse S grind (not reversed for southpaws ;)
Hopefully I can keep it that way...this is my first foray into such a curved blade.
- Julia

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:35 am
DougC-3 wrote:
Hopefully I can keep it that way...this is my first foray into such a curved blade.

It really shouldn't be a problem if you use the corners of the Sharpmaker. Those curves aren't that severe. It'll really depend on what angle the bevel is ground at, if it's higher than 40 inclusive then reprofiling may be a PITA.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:55 am
JuPaul wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:

It really shouldn't be a problem if you use the corners of the Sharpmaker. Those curves aren't that severe. It'll really depend on what angle the bevel is ground at, if it's higher than 40 inclusive then reprofiling may be a PITA.
I'll give it a shot on the sharpmaker, but I think I may also get an oval diamond hone for my KME. We'll see how the sm does first.
- Julia

Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:49 am
I got a board warning for asking for help getting one of these >.>

I'm such a bad dude! How dare I want a knife?!

Can't get one through normal channels.
Can't ask anyone for assistance on this forum.
I don't like to complain, but it kinda rubbed me the wrong way getting dinged for something that happens quite regularly on this forum...

Either way, I'll bow out now. Good luck everyone!
Awwww don’t go away I got dinged too Taz is just doing her job.

Yes it goes on regularly, I probably rubbed some cat the wrong way and they went went and complained is the way I see it.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:32 am
Evil D wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:

I'll give it a shot on the sharpmaker, but I think I may also get an oval diamond hone for my KME. We'll see how the sm does first.
I was just thinking Spyderco’s Gauntlet sharpening system would get the job done, might make for a good idea to drop a hint on someone before Christmas ;)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:41 am
JuPaul wrote:
Evil D wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

I was just thinking Spyderco’s Gauntlet sharpening system would get the job done, might make for a good idea to drop a hint on someone before Christmas ;)
Ha - I wish! My husband refuses to support my knife addiction...er, hobby. ;)
- Julia

Doeswhateveraspidercan

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:58 am
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:41 am
JuPaul wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Ha! Tell him it is for the kitchen, he likes to eat does he not??

If the knives in my kitchen fail to slice tomatoes swiftly and easily my girlfriend becomes rather grumpy.

I am certain Spyderco has literature supporting the kitchen narrative pretty sure I have seen it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:07 am
JuPaul wrote:
Lol.

That totally worked with my wife. Our kitchen drawer now has a Big Chris in Nitrobe-77 and a Phil Wilson custom in it, as well as a super nice TRC kitchen knife (which is actually her favorite). I haven't had a conversation with her about how much each of those knives cost, though.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:53 pm
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:07 am
JuPaul wrote:
Lol.

That totally worked with my wife. Our kitchen drawer now has a Big Chris in Nitrobe-77 and a Phil Wilson custom in it, as well as a super nice TRC kitchen knife (which is actually her favorite). I haven't had a conversation with her about how much each of those knives cost, though.
I've found when discussing knife prices with the wife, the formula for the number she usually thinks is reasonable is to take actual price, (minus shipping and taxes of course lol) divide by 2, then multiple by 1/2. :p

Yes my Nitrobe 77 Kase' Knife was about a hundred bucks ;)
-Turbo