BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Post by Sumdumguy »

I bet my neighbors think I'm weird, staring at my mailbox like this... :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:49 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:58 pm
Lol if it’s good enough to make a knife out of then it is good enough to be used for things a knife does and that my friend is how it goes.

They wouldn't be my first choice, but I would would have no issue using M4 or 52100 in the kitchen in fixed blade kitchen knife. I also use Salt folders for food prep in places where I don't have access to my lichen knives. But I would never choose to use an M4 folder for food because of corrosion in the pivot from leftover food/juices or water from rinsing. Different strokes for different folks. I throw my Salts in the dishwasher. Don't think you would want to try that with M4 or 52100.
I agree the pivot is the issue. Fixed Blade no worries. Oh well I will just have to oil the heck out of it. 52100, M4, and K390 I have not had good luck with and decided to stay away from REX45 due to this. So I can not speak to K390 as I have no experience with it.

Surprisingly Cruwear has not exhibited these issues in my use and I am thankful for that.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm yet to see a Cruwear blade with any kind of rust or patina. I think their lying to us and it's actually stainless!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It's finally here, I'll report back later!

What I can say right now, the Natural G10 isn't as attractive as it was on the Lum Chinese. I'll be stopping by the store and picking up some RIT soon, I'm thinking a custom blended purple.

Also...

THEY HAVE TO MAKE ONE IN SE!!!!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:12 pm
I'm yet to see a Cruwear blade with any kind of rust or patina. I think their lying to us and it's actually stainless!
Lol I think it has something to do with the way the small amount of chromium is in suspension with the other elements that actually raises its anti corrosive values beyond the numbers.

Llaren probably has the answer.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:22 am
I bet my neighbors think I'm weird, staring at my mailbox like this... :p
Naaahh just tell them you have heard about all the package thieves this time of year and those robbing UPS trucks etc... No kidding In Florida in Miami they even stole the truck. It did not end well people died.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I''ve had mine two days now and I'm crazy about it. Plus, it's an ancestor of my favorite, the Manix 2. The ergos are perfect for me. Eric really outdid himself when he created the Dodo. He definitely inherited a good measure of his dad's creativity and ingenuity. I love the simplicity of the linerless construction and compact design. I wish they'd also make a knife with the same handle and lock, but modified a little to accommodate a slightly longer conventional blade.

The lock was stiff on mine too for the first few closings, but by evening it was very smooth. Admittedly the Dodo has some things in common with the Q-ball (it's misbegotten nephew that hangs out in poolrooms ;)), mainly that some people have a little trouble with the lock, but the ball is bigger and easier to grasp on the Dodo. Also, the ergos and general hand-fit are much better for me with the Dodo.* If you can release the lock with your thumb-tip and nail and flip the blade over with your index finger, it's great.

Now, I want one in St. Nick's livery more than ever, but would be tempted by a jade/DLC version if it comes out first. Still haven't decided if I need an SE version. As for high carbon steels, M4 and k390 are my favorite steels, and I've never had any problems as long as I was carrying the knife -- I did have some unwanted oxide on one or two high carbon knives (one Superblue) that I stopped carrying for a few months without checking carefully enough. And I never oil or coat my blades. I just clean them with water and wipe them dry. YMMV :D Also I rarely put much in the pivots, usually a drop of mineral oil if anything.

As for cooking, I was amazed that I could slice ginger almost thin enough to read a newspaper through with this knife after I learned to just drag the tip through to complete the cut (for my wife's ginger tea :) ).

Edit: *Really just kidding about the Q-Ball. I got mine out and compared it to the Dodo, and it really has good ergos but not as good for me as the Dodo and Manix 2 or Manix XL.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Dodo ruled Christmas morning! This was the first time my husband had handled mine, and his first reaction was grumbling that it looked wierd and he didn't like the lock. But after using it on a few clam shell packages and toys tied to boxes with thick twine, he grudgingly admitted it was pretty awesome to use. The lock just takes a little getting used to, imo. Several other family members did the same. I had so much fun using it this morning that I carried it all day, and I have to say, it was much better suited for around the house edc tasks than I previously gave it credit for. I'd love to have a stainless version, as well as a SE version, for a perfect trifecta.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

This may sound a little hyperbolic, but I think the translucence of the scales showcases the elegant simplicity of Eric's design... and that's speaking as someone who recently replaced the natural G-10 on his two Manix 2's in this series :D I actually think it looks good on the Manix too -- I just ran across some other scales I wanted to try out.

Meanwhile, I'm earnestly awaiting the DLC version, the SE version (and SE DLC version?) but most especially the St. Nick's Red G-10 4V version, which would fit this knife more than any other combination :cool:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Peacedivision

Post by Peacedivision »

Bhq is currently showing the dodo back in stock for anyone who missed out.
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

Peacedivision wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:31 pm
Bhq is currently showing the dodo back in stock for anyone who missed out.
I’m guessing it’s all the returns from people that either backed out from the original sale or realized they can’t get too much more for it on the secondary market.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Surprisingly consistent pricing on eBay for the Jade models so far this month. Figure in the fees and that's not too great a draw for speculators.

For myself, this model has joined the storied ranks of just being a collector piece for now. One of the few knives I've ever owned with that status, just seems like a knife I'll enjoy more in a few years than now.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Just got back from picking up my Dodo from BHQ. The lady at the counter did not know why they had more, but said there were several in the back. She also let me fondle them and pick the one I wanted.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:59 pm
Just got back from picking up my Dodo from BHQ. The lady at the counter did not know why they had more, but said there were several in the back. She also let me fondle them and pick the one I wanted.
It's because their IT is incompetent!

I missed out. I don't care to have one now! I blame BHQ!