BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:41 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:31 pm
If I owned that knife, I'd keep the scales as is, and send the metal parts to REK for a nice DLC. I really like the look of black DLC with higher colored scales.
Hey now that is an idea, please send ma a PM with a link to this service I wonder if they could also install a spydie edge? The DLC would have to be food safe not sure if they do it like Spyderco.

EDIT: Just figured out who that is no need for the PM thanks again.
You really plan on cutting food with such a small blade? Cut what, a grape or cherry tomato!? Seems silly with such a small knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

You might be surprised what this can cut there is tremendous amount of cutting ability in this design. So far I have used it to peal and dice Garlic cloves, slice and dice tomatoes, slice and dice onions, slice pepperoni, slice cheese it performed very well indeed. I actually prefer it to my VG-10 Lil matriarch from BBS.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:09 pm
You might be surprised what this can cut there is tremendous amount of cutting ability in this design. So far I have used it to peal and dice Garlic cloves, slice and dice tomatoes, slice and dice onions, slice pepperoni, slice cheese it performed very well indeed. I actually prefer it to my VG-10 Lil matriarch from BBS.

The kitchen knife mafia are coming for you :eek:

I think there is a market for small blade/normal handle folders. They can give increased control over the blade (ala scalpel).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:18 pm

I think there is a market for small blade/normal handle folders. They can give increased control over the blade (ala scalpel).
I've never understood the blade / handle ratio obsessed. I love using the small blade on Swiss Army Knives because its thin, cuts with ease, is enough blade for a lot of EDC tasks, and comes attached to a full sized handle. Same thing with the Izula 2. Blade is identical to the original but they made it fit adult hands.
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:

Lol :) well I did live in little Italy for quite a while, my mentor was Italian from Italy and my ex-wife was Italian and yes I even had a Godfather who was related to the older members of my family when I was a child, his name was Bill Step, he was a direct descendant of the Hatfield's and the McCoy's. https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/ph ... eKMOdVohN/

My Grandmothers, Mothers maiden name was McCoy as in the Hatfield's and the McCoy's.

Anyhow it turns out I actually cook Italian pretty well, I'll never forget the first time I made Sauce for the ex-wife, she always prided herself on her sauce. She tasted mine her eyes went wide and she looked dumbfounded, she looked at me strangely almost mystified and said oh my God I can't believe this, this is actually better than mine.

I never told her my secret, but I will share it here.

The meal was prepared with a Spyderco PM2 in S30V ..... Makes all the difference.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oops I goofed took so many pictures I forgot to show what I ended up with after flitz here is the final after letting it sit all night coated with Flitz before I try to do more.

These pictures also illustrates what I wrote about earlier, about how aggressive the grind marks are on the blade.

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I find BKF works well for removing corrosion, but it does need to be rinsed off completely pretty fast after it works. Best to not let it sit....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:55 am
I find BKF works well for removing corrosion, but it does need to be rinsed off completely pretty fast after it works. Best to not let it sit....
Yes it did a fine job of removing the rust the odd thing though is I did rinse the heck out of it and dried it with a clean cloth followed by paper towels to suck as much moisture away as possible before laying it down to finish air drying under an ac vent before putting it up in an enclosed space.

Next time just flitz with none stainless steels.

Someone asked earlier about my experience K390 I had it in a Police 4 which I sold. It has been worse than M4 so I do not look to buy any for my uses.

In fact it was so bad I tried my best to tell the buyer they probably did not want it.

They were aware of the issues and did not care so we both were under full disclosure and happy with the the transaction.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

oddly enough, K390 has performed better for me in terms of rust resistance than M4.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vivi

Post by vivi »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:04 am
oddly enough, K390 has performed better for me in terms of rust resistance than M4.
Same here.
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:28 pm
I've never understood the blade / handle ratio obsessed.
It is bench racing. Folks more worried about how it looks on paper then how it performs at the track.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I believe you guys I really do, has to be something with the water I am betting it is the chlorine. At any rate I have decided it is impossible to purchase this knife for a reasonable price on the secondary market in a more corrosion resistant steel so I am going to clean the scales super clean with Acetone and take the bottle of RIT Dye for Synthetics in sapphire blue and really soak the heck out of those scales. Based on what I have seen here viewtopic.php?t=80112 it is going to come out great.

As for future rust I intend to keep it coated even sopping wet with food safe mineral oil after each and every exposure to food prep in the kitchen this design is just one I do not want to be with out in my EDC rotation.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

OG Dodo prices seem(ed) to stabilize between sprints at a much lower value than we're seeing now. I'm curious if this effect continues with the M4 Dodo. BHQ's marketing and social media presence seems to be much more effective than in the past, so demand may have increased in the mid-term. Honestly I think if you set a goal to acquire a Dodo at the same price as BHQ ($154.95) you'd probably be able to "get" 2-3 blue ones, a black one and maybe an orange one in a few months time with a watchful eye.

Regardless, eBay sold listings are pretty benign right now, the initial wave seems to have reached it's crest 2-3 days ago. $40-$80 over list is pretty good for the last several auctions. One went on BF for $185.

I'm keeping mine in the box for the time being, my daily tasks are better served by larger knives. I did take it out to give it a once over, the aesthetics of the handle, hardware and blade are excellent. Shiny backspacer sets the knife off nicely and like the SS Stretch, the handle color is more pleasing in person.

Does M4 take a patina? I improved the corrosion resistant of ZDP-189 blades with forced patina and then later one with a natural patina as well.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

spoonrobot wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:50 pm
OG Dodo prices seem(ed) to stabilize between sprints at a much lower value than we're seeing now. I'm curious if this effect continues with the M4 Dodo. BHQ's marketing and social media presence seems to be much more effective than in the past, so demand may have increased in the mid-term. Honestly I think if you set a goal to acquire a Dodo at the same price as BHQ ($154.95) you'd probably be able to "get" 2-3 blue ones, a black one and maybe an orange one in a few months time with a watchful eye.

Regardless, eBay sold listings are pretty benign right now, the initial wave seems to have reached it's crest 2-3 days ago. $40-$80 over list is pretty good for the last several auctions. One went on BF for $185.

I'm keeping mine in the box for the time being, my daily tasks are better served by larger knives. I did take it out to give it a once over, the aesthetics of the handle, hardware and blade are excellent. Shiny backspacer sets the knife off nicely and like the SS Stretch, the handle color is more pleasing in person.
Thanks I appreciate the market study and agree the handle color is very pleasing in person, dying one of these has been a goal of mine but I keep selling the natural jade ones from Blade H.Q. because I never use them. Lol too precious to use and abuse can't really have a home with me.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:18 pm
Vivi wrote:
It is bench racing. Folks more worried about how it looks on paper then how it performs at the track.
Agreed. I also don't understand ad nauseum harping on the "golden ratio" (no more than 1oz of weight per inch of blade), and lack of a sharpening choil.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:

Yep, there is a reason I still use a box cutter to break down cardboard boxes for recycling when I have plenty of good Spydies within arms reach. I've tried them all and nothing blasts through cardboard like a good old box cutter with long handle to blade ratio and thin blade. I use the Stanley carbide blades and they last FOREVER. It is crazy how sharp they still are after miles of Amazon boxes.

I'm in the kitchen knife mafia too. Lol. Using an M4 folder in the kitchen??? Crazy talk.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Lol if it’s good enough to make a knife out of then it is good enough to be used for things a knife does and that my friend is how it goes.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Out for delivery! >:)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:58 pm
Lol if it’s good enough to make a knife out of then it is good enough to be used for things a knife does and that my friend is how it goes.

They wouldn't be my first choice, but I would would have no issue using M4 or 52100 in the kitchen in fixed blade kitchen knife. I also use Salt folders for food prep in places where I don't have access to my lichen knives. But I would never choose to use an M4 folder for food because of corrosion in the pivot from leftover food/juices or water from rinsing. Different strokes for different folks. I throw my Salts in the dishwasher. Don't think you would want to try that with M4 or 52100.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:18 pm
Vivi wrote:

I'll be honest I'm guilty of this myself. I don't mind admitting that looks matter to me when I'm spending this kind of money on a knife. On one hand I do think there's something to be said for a design that packs as much edge as possible into a given handle size, but on the other hand if I broke half the blade off one of my knives I would regrind the spine and I'm certain I would find uses for a Dragonfly sized blade in a Caribbean sized handle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David