BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Post by DougC-3 »

I've found the small reverse-s to be very useful in the kitchen and around the house in general... a Cricket in my case -- not a Dodo :(
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:32 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:55 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:35 am
DougC-3 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:00 pm
Nice shot JuPaul! Looks like a nice, even reverse S grind (not reversed for southpaws ;)
Hopefully I can keep it that way...this is my first foray into such a curved blade.

It really shouldn't be a problem if you use the corners of the Sharpmaker. Those curves aren't that severe. It'll really depend on what angle the bevel is ground at, if it's higher than 40 inclusive then reprofiling may be a PITA.
I'll give it a shot on the sharpmaker, but I think I may also get an oval diamond hone for my KME. We'll see how the sm does first.
The Sharpmaker works great on reverse S blades. My Dodo came with a really uneven grind. I'm about to hit it with the Sharpmaker now.... Let's see how it does.

-Turbo
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:43 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:32 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:55 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:35 am

Hopefully I can keep it that way...this is my first foray into such a curved blade.

It really shouldn't be a problem if you use the corners of the Sharpmaker. Those curves aren't that severe. It'll really depend on what angle the bevel is ground at, if it's higher than 40 inclusive then reprofiling may be a PITA.
I'll give it a shot on the sharpmaker, but I think I may also get an oval diamond hone for my KME. We'll see how the sm does first.
The Sharpmaker works great on reverse S blades. My Dodo came with a really uneven grind. I'm about to hit it with the Sharpmaker now.... Let's see how it does.

I'd definitely appreciate a report back! Are you using the 15° setting for the dodo, too? How much more difficult was the m4 vs the vg10?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Well Crud!!!

Girlfriend saw it said it is cute would look good hanging from my pocket!

****!

Merry Christmas Baby!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Yes it seems to hit the 15° angle perfectly except at the tip and heel on mine. The M4 is much more of a PIA than VG-10 on the Sharpmaker! If you don't have diamond or CBN rods I'd recommend a set. Fixing the heel was quick with the CBN rods, the tip was giving me a hard time so I'm gonna finish it up another time.

Just opened a box with it...This is going to be the greatest Christmas present opener ever! :D
-Turbo
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:16 pm
Yes it seems to hit the 15° angle perfectly except at the tip and heel on mine. The M4 is much more of a PIA than VG-10 on the Sharpmaker! If you don't have diamond or CBN rods I'd recommend a set. Fixing the heel was quick with the CBN rods, the tip was giving me a hard time so I'm gonna finish it up another time.

Just opened a box with it...This is going to be the greatest Christmas present opener ever! :D
Thanks for this! I do have diamond rods for the sm, will definitely start with those. I'm thinking seriously about getting a lil' matriarch just so I can practice first on a softer steel, though (and on something I could replace if I really screw it up!). Or I may still get the KME hone and go that route instead.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:25 pm
Well Crud!!!

****!

Merry Christmas Baby!
It is better to give than to receive. ;) Hopefully she will let you borrow it. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:49 am
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:25 pm
Well Crud!!!

****!

Merry Christmas Baby!
It is better to give than to receive. ;) Hopefully she will let you borrow it. :D
Lol Ho, Ho, Ho,

It’s good I was not even certain I would like it and was thinking of making sure a forum member got it. Atleast this way It is going to someone whose eyes actually lit up with glee over a knife. Wow what a woman!

She asked me do they have this in pink?

Laughed, explained the nature of this sprint run.

Pretty sure I can not rit dye this pink, maybe blue or something like that? She likes blurple on he PM2 in S110V.

I did use this to open some clamshell plastics and dismantle the box it cane in and killed some magazine paper.

All I can say is wow Eric way to go love the design. Ergonomic as all be done get out!

M4 is not difficult to sharpen it is in fact very easy, if you are using the sharpmaker there is no need for those coarse rough diamond rods.

Use the brown rods and make sure to clean them as they will load up with steel being they are ceramic.

Use barkeepers friend a pair of dish gloves and a paper towel rub the powder on wet and in moments the rods will be clean and ready to go again and cut much, much better.

Just use a sharpie to make sure you are getting where you need to on the blade.

Diamonds are unforgiving if you slip the ceramics are far more forgiving, just don’t let the blade get dull and you will be fine.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oh and one more thing, Dear Sal and Eric, please bring regular production of the Dodo back, allot of us were not into Spyderco when it was available and I am certain the interest in Spyderco is greater than ever based on how things sell out and the strong secondary market.

This knife would be perfect with a Spydie edge.
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

Wow. I just got mine in the mail and I can only hope that there are more to come! This thing is amazing. Any color & steel combo would be a must-have for me. Thanks Spyderco & Blade HQ!
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:41 am

Pretty sure I can not rit dye this pink, maybe blue or something like that? She likes blurple on he PM2 in S110V.
Check out this thread if you haven't already:

viewtopic.php?t=85083
~andrew
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:46 am
Oh and one more thing, Dear Sal and Eric, please bring regular production of the Dodo back, allot of us were not into Spyderco when it was available and I am certain the interest in Spyderco is greater than ever based on how things sell out and the strong secondary market.

This knife would be perfect with a Spydie edge.

Agreed. BHQ can always still release a Satin/SE, DLC/PE, and DLC/SE Dodo given the success of this run.

I've tried to get St. Nick's to do one in 4V. Maybe they will now seeing how quickly the BHQ sold out.

I doubt these will come back in full production. Part (most) of the demand is due to the fact they only come back every 5+ years.

Now the Dodofly would be a great production model! Cheap, light, small, and functional!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

My Dodo has landed! :D

I'm going to go ahead and jump in the "hoping for more Dodo's" line! :spyder:
I handled one briefly while waiting in line at the seconds sale last year, and knew I would like to own one. Cut to today, I own one and now I want more. :D
-Nick :bug-red
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Ahhh :mad: ! I'm getting jealous seeing all these pictures/reviews! And nervous because my Dodo is still caught up somewhere in the d*mn bermuda triangle of shipping that seems to plague every one of my orders from BladeHQ. USPS tracking has it arriving today, but the last entry in the history says departing Oakland distribution facility, so I don't think that's going to be the case. Why the F my Dodo is in California now, on the exact opposite side of the country, I do not understand at all haha.. I swear every package I receive from BladeHQ seems to take an extra day or two to reach me, taking its sweet time on the most illogical possible route to my doorstep.. If this was a DLT drop, I would have ordered on Tuesday and had my knife on Thursday!!

Maybe I should have dished out the extra $ for the two day shipping. Oh well.. hopefully Monday!

End rant. Enjoy those Dodos everybody!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Joey

Post by Joey »

I have to say, I’d love a St. Nick’s Dodo! Their color scheme would look great with this design.
This is my first Dodo as well, and I find it to be a good amount more user friendly and useful than I expected. My wife likes the grip, but is more for a traditional design. I’m just glad she tends to be more interested in a Kizer or Civivi. Or maybe it is my wallet that is glad about that.

I generally would like to echo the others in this thread. The Dodo needs to be fully revived, but I understand the hesitation.

I had to fix my bevel, too. It was pretty whack. Gotta work on those factory bevels! A friend of mine recently got a Para 3 with a “kris” grind from the factory :P looked like he took it to a work sharp grinder.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well mine was due to show up today but it's "running late". :rolleyes:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Got mine today. I like it and think it will be useful, but I don't see it as an EDC. It will sit in my drawer as a box and clamshell packaging opener. Now a Dodofly I could get behind as a nice small barely noticeable 2nd blade to carry for niche tasks. An H1 SE Dodofly Salt I could see being a big seller. I'd be down for a Cricketfly Salt or a Cricket 2 Salt in the same regard.

I believe that this model makes for an AWESOME exclusive for these dealers like BHQ, St Nick's, DLT, Cutlery Shoppe, etc who have "families" of exclusives in the same color/steel. I think any one of these dealers can expect another 10 minutes or less sell out of a Dodo. But I don't see this being a model that needs to come back into full production as the demand for it won't be there if it isn't a rare exclusive. That said, I will buy any and all exclusive Dodos from the dealers mentioned, especially SE and DLC versions.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Grumble, grumble.

Atleast I have some Superblue waiting on me when I get home. >:(
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:56 pm
Well mine was due to show up today but it's "running late". :rolleyes:
I also have a spyderco running late today with usps... 😢
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BLM

Post by BLM »

Got mine today it’s awesome
The only thing with my fat fingers as others have said gonna take some getting used to the lock