Police versus military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toxophilus

Re: Police versus military?

Post by toxophilus »

Luddite wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:27 am

Your comment has decided me to discount the police, it now a two way decision between the military and Manix 2XL.
Quick snapshot of the sizing between the Military & Manix 2 XL; both handles where butted up against the back wall, not a direct shot from overhead but it gives you an idea :spyder:

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Consider Pattada as well which is slimmer than both Police4 and Military.

Police4 has a 4.4" blade, Military 4" blade and Pattada 3.9" blade.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

I just bought a police 4, its a pretty awesome knife.
And the main reason I did so was because you just don't know your carrying it. I realized that no matter how good a knife is, if its a pain to carry you won't. The P4 just disappears, so it never leaves my side.

And other than that its does anything and everything I could want, and K390 is pretty cool (it takes an amazing edge).
I'd get a military if the handle doesn't work for you, but I get a great grip on the P4.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Vivi

That is a Suberb review.
I wish you wrote for magazines.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Luddite wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:27 am
Your comment has decided me to discount the police, it now a two way decision between the military and Manix 2XL.
My vote would go for the Military then. I carry a military fairly often whereas my Manix XL lives in my vehicle.
I like tip up carry and that is one of the big factors that got me interested in the Manix XL, but I like the ergos
of the Military a lot more and that carries the day for me. I honestly am starting to not care about tip up versus tip down carry.

The police 4 has tempted me, largely because of the K390 steel, but it keeps getting bumped out of the
"next knife to buy" position by exciting sprints and exclusives. Maybe someday.
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:45 pm
Manix XL gets my vote. Extremely comfortable handle and strong closed bias while still being easy to thumb flick open. It is a pocket hog, but I always keep a pocket dedicated to carrying my knife. I don’t use pocket clips, so reaching past the knife isn’t something I’ve had to deal with.
My next Spyderco will be the Manix Xl.
It wins on three counts.
Better grip
Better locking mechanism.
More substantial.

I already own a Manix Cruwear and it just feels more knife in the hand than any of my others, so a bigger version is going to feel even better

The police just looks flimsy compared to the other two and the Military handle doesn't give as many grip options as the Manix and the liner lock looks a if it wouldn't be as comfortable in the hand. I have a Tenacious and that doesn't feel comfortable to hold.
Subject of England, The UK, Earth.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Luddite wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:45 am
The police just looks flimsy compared to the other two
You couldn't be more wrong about that. My Police 3 is a decade old and works better than the day I bought it. I've chopped and batoned with it, and even used it as a regular pocket knife from time to time. Only reason I retired it, is because I got the P4.

Either way, enjoy the Manix XL. Great choice, and one **** of a knife. Really, couldn't go wrong with any three of your options. Just don't write off any of them either, they all have their pros and cons when compared to one another.

BTW, The Manix XL's carry IWB very nicely. Plenty of handle sticking out to make retrieval a breeze, and it frees up your pockets.
:unicorn
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:49 am
Luddite wrote:
You couldn't be more wrong about that. My Police 3 is a decade old and works better than the day I bought it. I've chopped and batoned with it, and even used it as a regular pocket knife from time to time. Only reason I retired it, is because I got the P4.

Either way, enjoy the Manix XL. Great choice, and one **** of a knife. Really, couldn't go wrong with any three of your options. Just don't write off any of them either, they all have their pros and cons when compared to one another.

BTW, The Manix XL's carry IWB very nicely. Plenty of handle sticking out to make retrieval a breeze, and it frees up your pockets.
I'm not ruling either out in the future, I want to experience both but for now the Manix will fuel my (our) obsession. :spyder:
Subject of England, The UK, Earth.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Luddite wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 am
Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:49 am
Luddite wrote:

I'm not ruling either out in the future, I want to experience both but for now the Manix will fuel my (our) obsession. :spyder:
It's one of their best designs.

It's a much different beast than the mini manix.
:unicorn
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

500Nitro wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 pm
Vivi

That is a Suberb review.
Agreed 100%
I thought this tread was going to be done after Vivi’s post:)
I’m just stubborn as **** or I would carry a Police over my 204 Mili. I’m left handed, so the ability to have a 4 way clip would be amazing, the locking system on the Police would also be easier for me to use. But alas, I keep plugging away stubbornly with my Mili:)
I’m getting the FRN Police when it comes out:)
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

rgrad80 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:14 am
500Nitro wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 pm
Vivi

That is a Suberb review.
Agreed 100%
I thought this tread was going to be done after Vivi’s post:)
I’m just stubborn as **** or I would carry a Police over my 204 Mili. I’m left handed, so the ability to have a 4 way clip would be amazing, the locking system on the Police would also be easier for me to use. But alas, I keep plugging away stubbornly with my Mili:)
I’m getting the FRN Police when it comes out:)
I think I might add one to the collection. Although would need to be SE.

Re Left handed, I don't think about it much but I use my Endura with both hands without thinking
so must remember that before I go buying a knife other than backlock.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Military here, I never did like the Manix2, gave one away and sold 2 of them. The police is also over the legal carry limit in Florida. 4 inches is the max here.