Spyderrazor

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Spyderrazor

Post by Bodog »

Seems there is some interest in a spyderco straight razor. I was thinking of making a poll but there are a lot of things going on that wouldn't fit into a poll.

Sal said he'd like to hear from us so i tried to assemble some questions that could/would lead him to pull the trigger on this.

1) Do you have experience shaving with a straight razor?

2) Would your experience/inexperience keep you from buying a straight razor from spyderco?

3) Would you like a razor that needs sharpened or a shavette where the blades are disposable/replacable?

4) What steel would you like to be used?

5) Would you like it to be a high end showoff type of razor or a very basic user?

6) Would you like it at a lower rockwell where stropping made a difference or a higher rockwell where stropping matters less?

7) Would you like spyderco to include a strop and/or stand?

8) What would be a reasonable price to pay for a razor that meets your requirements stated above?

9) Would you be okay with spyderco sending the razors not truly shave worthy and having a honemeister or yourself doing the work to make it that way?

10) What level of finish would you want, satin? Polished? Stonewashed?

11) Would you want a traditional Japanese design like a kamisori or a more traditional European folding design?

12) What would you choose for handle materials be?

13) Would any specific colors dissuade you from buying it if everything else was interesting?

14) Are there any specific design styles you wouldn't want?

15) Is this something simply interesting to you or is it something you actually lay some cash down to fund?

16) If spyderco had a kickstarter type of campaign to fund the project for us spyderholics, would you participate even if the project took two years to come to fruition?

17) Would you like to see Sal create a "how to" video on the best way to use and sharpen the razor?

Thank you
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bodog

Re: Spyderrazor

Post by Bodog »

My own answers:

Aside from my knives, no. Currently use double edged safety razors.

2) Would your experience/inexperience keep you from buying a straight razor from spyderco?

Not at all.

3) Would you like a razor that needs sharpened or a shavette where the blades are disposable/replacable?

On the fence. Learning to sharpen and use a good straight razor would be fun, using a shavette would be easier.

AEBL

5) Would you like it to be a high end showoff type of razor or a very basic user?

Fairly high end. Want it to look nice presented on my bathroom counter.

6) Would you like it at a lower rockwell where stropping made a difference or a higher rockwell where stropping matters less?

High hardness, very fine grained. Open to advice from people with more real knowledge than me.

Yes

8) What would be a reasonable price to pay for a razor that meets your requirements stated above?

By itself, $100 depending on level of panache and finishing quality. Maybe more if warranted.

9) Would you be okay with spyderco sending the razors not truly shave worthy and having a honemeister or yourself doing the work to make it that way?

Yes

Polished, ideally. The finish on the slysz bowie was superb, though. I'd definitely be okay with whatever they did to get that done.

11) Would you want a traditional Japanese design like a kamisori or a more traditional European folding design?

Kamisori, but folding design would be acceptable

It's spyderco. G10

13) Would any specific colors dissuade you from buying it if everything else was interesting?

I'd like to see ivory or white with palladium bug. Purple or pink or some other nonsense color is obvious.

Personally I'd like a Spanish nose but that's just conjecture. I don't know enough.

15) Is this something simply interesting to you or is it something you actually lay some cash down to fund?

Yes

16) If spyderco had a kickstarter type of campaign to fund the project for us spyderholics, would you participate even if the project took two years to come to fruition?

Yes, within reason.

17) Would you like to see Sal create a "how to" video on the best way to use and sharpen the razor?

Absolutely
supracor

Post by supracor »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:07 pm
Seems there is some interest in a spyderco straight razor. I was thinking of making a poll but there are a lot of things going on that wouldn't fit into a poll.

Sal said he'd like to hear from us so i tried to assemble some questions that could/would lead him to pull the trigger on this.

Thank you

1- yeah, with a 5/8 boker king cutter

2-obviously i would buy the spyderrazor

3-i would buy also a shavette, but i think that a spyderco straight razor could be interesting, especially in the HT choice

4-i would say AebL, but what i truly want is shirogami; also superblue or 52100 are good steels

5-basic user, but with the typical spyderco fit and finish

6-high rockwell

7-it would be majestic

8-i would pay ~ $ 150, but i don't know all the variables involved

9-when i buy a razor i I expect it to shave; even though it might be better since I always change the edge corner of my knives

10-polished, especially if in a carbon steel

11-i would buy it in every shape; i believe it's more important the geometry

12-ironwood; otherwise i would love a blurple razor (obviously not in S110V)

13-i don't think so, but i hope that spyderco will choose the right colour

14-like i said, i think edge geometry is more important than the design, but I'd be curious to see a razor designed by Ed Schempp :D

15-i will buy it, i don't know if tomorrow or the next year

16-yes, within reason

17-i would buy the razor just for that

A pair of details:
I think it'd be better if the razor has at least a 7/8 blade (or more), and i think that i'd apply a lock on a folding razor.

Thanx :)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sorry if i i am not going point by point, but my criteria is pretty simple.
I'd buy what would basically be a early to mid 1900's razor, shaving out of the box, no fancy pansy steel as i feel that's not what a straight razor is about.
"scales" could be polished G10, Raffir Noble or FRN, preferably with bug inlay.
I'd pay $150-ish for one. It would be nice if it came with a strop/compound.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
supracor

Post by supracor »

It would be interesting a handle with interchangeable blades with Superblue and Vanax 35/ Nitro V-B blades, but I think it's going a little further :rolleyes:
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Yes, also a Boker king cutter

No

I will not buy a shavette

I'm sure Spyderco will choose a great steel. Happy with carbon since I'm used to it on my only straight. But will try a stainless if Spyderco decided to go with that.

I will be interested ether way.

I don't have enough experience with different straights to have a strong opinion on it, and will trust Spyderco to make a good choice to go with that steel.

This could be quite a nice addition. My spyderpac is the place where I store my straight at the moment.

Boker king cutter price till double that if it made with interesting materials.

Yes, I would be happy to hone it my self as this will decrease the cost a little bit.

A finish that works well with the look of the scales.

I enjoy my current European style straight but will be keen to try out a Kamisori.

Not picky about the handle material.

I'll probably buy any colour. Pink isn't my colour but if Sal decides thats what it has to be, I'll still have to see how the razor preforms.

No

I'll buy one.

I'll have to see how this sort of thing will get organized first. But I will be ok with waiting two years.

Yes. Sal got me into straight razors the one time I talked to him and would like to know how he sharpens.

I hope to use a Spyderrazor one day. I think a small flash batch (600) would be great to see if it is worth while for Spyderco.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:39 am
Sorry if i i am not going point by point, but my criteria is pretty simple.
I'd buy what would basically be a early to mid 1900's razor, shaving out of the box, no fancy pansy steel as i feel that's not what a straight razor is about.
"scales" could be polished G10, Raffir Noble or FRN, preferably with bug inlay.
I'd pay $150-ish for one. It would be nice if it came with a strop/compound.
Dude, i didn't really think about that but raffir noble or marbled carbon fiber would be truly something special on a razor. Nice.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

supracor wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:35 am
It would be interesting a handle with interchangeable blades with Superblue and Vanax 35/ Nitro V-B blades, but I think it's going a little further :rolleyes:
Interesting. That would open the field to many different types of steel if spyderco wanted to experiment.