Paramilitary 2 S110V “My first real Spyderco”

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Paramilitary 2 S110V “My first real Spyderco”

Post by tps3443 »

Thanks Spyderco! And thanks BladeHQ!

It finally came, I love it! I’ve yet to cut anything yet. Not even paper lol! I’ll keep cutting to a minimum until I get my KME Sharpening system with (4) Diamond stones and base.

If anyone has been following my quick downhill addiction lol

It all started with a Spyderco Resilience at Walmart. Then I exchanged it for a Tenacious, then I decided I wanted a PM2 in S110V a few days later, I almost bought a “Sharpmaker with all accessories” But instead, I’ve ordered a KME D4 with the base to keep this Blurple hair splitting sharp!

I love the color of this knife. I love the quality too! The handle is bigger than my tenacious by a good little bit.

I’ve never been a knife guy, and now I’m just a week or two in, and I’ve invested about $425 bucks in (2) knives, and a really good sharpening setup.

And now I’m wanting more knives... I love Spyderco! What can I say?

“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Re: Paramilitary 2 S110V “My first real Spyderco”

Post by kodai78 »

One of my favorite knives is my PM 2 S110V. Bought at SFO store last year.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

The Spyderco Tenacious for $39,99 really surprised me quality, and build of the knife. So, I thought a USA made Spyderco from Golden, Colorado wouldn’t be much better, if any at all. Besides steel difference anyways.

Boy was I wrong.. ^^^

The G10 is totally different, screws, edge sharpening quality, everything is way nicer or larger and better quality in every possible way!
“My daily razor blade”
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

tps3443 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:10 pm
The Spyderco Tenacious for $39,99 really surprised me quality, and build of the knife. So, I thought a USA made Spyderco from Golden, Colorado wouldn’t be much better, if any at all. Besides steel difference anyways.

Boy was I wrong.. ^^^

The G10 is totally different, screws, edge sharpening quality, everything is way nicer or larger and better quality in every possible way!
The Taichung, Taiwan made Spydercos are as good as the Golden, CO, USA, Earth Spydercos, if not a little better. Almost all of my Spydies are from the Taichung factory, because almost all Spydie frame locks (or Reeve Integral Locks in Spyder-ese) are made at that factory. Don't let the made in Taiwan scare you away if find a Taichung model you like.

I think you made a good choice on the KME sharpener, too.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Love my blurple pm2. Just so you know there is no cure for the Spyder bite! :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Sharpen s110v coarse. There's absolutely nothing wrong with ending on 300-400 grit. It is a specialized steel made for prolonged slicing ability and corrosion resistance. Welcome, congrats, and good luck, since you've obviously caught the bug.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Congrats, Blurple PM2 is a favorite of mine.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:37 pm
tps3443 wrote:

Boy was I wrong.. ^^^

The Taichung, Taiwan made Spydercos are as good as the Golden, CO, USA, Earth Spydercos, if not a little better. Almost all of my Spydies are from the Taichung factory, because almost all Spydie frame locks (or Reeve Integral Locks in Spyder-ese) are made at that factory. Don't let the made in Taiwan scare you away if find a Taichung model you like.

I think you made a good choice on the KME sharpener, too.
My Tenacious is made in CHINA. Quality is much better on my USA made, grip screws are twice as large and machined finish on them, G10 grip is also better quality, the Apex is even on both sides visually. The machining on the clip is much better on the edges. No blade play, but the blade falls free when lock depresses.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:55 pm
Love my blurple pm2. Just so you know there is no cure for the Spyder bite! :D
Yea when I first saw the PM2 Blurple, It just stood out really strongly to me for some reason. The color, the steel, just love it.

I may get another one just like it, or Para 3 Blurple.
“My daily razor blade”
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

The resilience was my introduction too. I went back for a tenacious and then got a PM2. Now I'm 12 deep and getting deeper.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

tps3443 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:34 pm
I’ll keep cutting to a minimum until I get my KME Sharpening system with (4) Diamond stones and base.
I don't think you need to worry in that way. The S110V will hang in there much longer than you think.

Congratulations on getting the KME. I have hovered on the edge of springing for one multiple times. Apart from just spending money, my head gets to spinning with all you can read about, and aftermarket stones and I just stick to the Sharpmaker. Maybe someday I'll dive into that deep water.

Be clear that the Taiwan Spydercos are on a different level than the mainland China Spydercos. The mainland China knives are darn good (like your Tenacious), but the knives from Taiwan are up at the same level as knives from Golden. Some say even a notch above. You actually can't go wrong with any of them.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Brown_Recluse wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:42 pm
The resilience was my introduction too. I went back for a tenacious and then got a PM2. Now I'm 12 deep and getting deeper.

Yea I need to get my hands on a Para 3 in 4V too. Probably the best looking color combo I’ve seen IMO next to Blurple.
“My daily razor blade”
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

tps3443 wrote:

Boy was I wrong.. ^^^

Congrats on the pm2 midnight blue in s110v. quick tip, make sure you got diamond abrasives for sharpening. at least for Coarse and Fine finishing.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:57 pm
tps3443 wrote:
I’ll keep cutting to a minimum until I get my KME Sharpening system with (4) Diamond stones and base.
I don't think you need to worry in that way. The S110V will hang in there much longer than you think.

Congratulations on getting the KME. I have hovered on the edge of springing for one multiple times. Apart from just spending money, my head gets to spinning with all you can read about, and aftermarket stones and I just stick to the Sharpmaker. Maybe someday I'll dive into that deep water.

Be clear that the Taiwan Spydercos are on a different level than the mainland China Spydercos. The mainland China knives are darn good (like your Tenacious), but the knives from Taiwan are up at the same level as knives from Golden. Some say even a notch above. You actually can't go wrong with any of them.

Yea, I was at nearly $145 on a sharpmaker with the diamond rods, and UF rods. And that’s how I would have ordered it until I found the KME.

After watching a video on the KME, and this kit was including (4) Diamond stones, and base for $189.99

(140) Grit, (300) Grit, (600) Grit, (1500) Grit.

From what I’ve researched, and gathered utilizing only Diamond stones on S110V through each stage of grit, and people having maintained shaving sharp, or even a hair whittling sharp edge even still after several hundred feet of cardboard cutting, and cutting through a 2x4. I was blown away.. The further it is away from dull, the longer it takes to get back.

I’ve learned so much. I had no idea. Sharpening is like a entire hobby it’s self. I’ve got a lot more to learn though.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I do not doubt the Taiwan quality one bit. Never seen or handled one yet. The China made Spyderco’s are impressive to say the least. For $40 bucks a Tenacious is just the ultimate go to.

The Tenacious is going to be my KME’s first victim for practice.
“My daily razor blade”
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Don't forget to put some tape over the blade before clamping it in your KME!!!! Or you will get some nasty scratches from the tinny grit getting stuck between the blade and the clamp heads. Besides that it's a great system.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

emanuel wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:41 am
Don't forget to put some tape over the blade before clamping it in your KME!!!! Or you will get some nasty scratches from the tinny grit getting stuck between the blade and the clamp heads. Besides that it's a great system.
Hey, thanks for the tip. So the KME is limited to 17 degrees each side and 34 inclusive is that correct? I guess that’s what I’ll have to sharpen at the lowest possible angle.

From what I’ve gathered this PM2 is about 14 or 15 degrees on each side. So I’d be sharpening the very edge, Is that correct?
“My daily razor blade”
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

tps3443 wrote:
Thanks Spyderco! And thanks BladeHQ!

It finally came, I love it! I’ve yet to cut anything yet. Not even paper lol! I’ll keep cutting to a minimum until I get my KME Sharpening system with (4) Diamond stones and base.

If anyone has been following my quick downhill addiction lol

It all started with a Spyderco Resilience at Walmart. Then I exchanged it for a Tenacious, then I decided I wanted a PM2 in S110V a few days later, I almost bought a “Sharpmaker with all accessories” But instead, I’ve ordered a KME D4 with the base to keep this Blurple hair splitting sharp!

I love the color of this knife. I love the quality too! The handle is bigger than my tenacious by a good little bit.

I’ve never been a knife guy, and now I’m just a week or two in, and I’ve invested about $425 bucks in (2) knives, and a really good sharpening setup.

And now I’m wanting more knives... I love Spyderco! What can I say?
Congratulations! You'll love it.

James
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

tps3443 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:18 pm
Hey, thanks for the tip. So the KME is limited to 17 degrees each side and 34 inclusive is that correct? I guess that’s what I’ll have to sharpen at the lowest possible angle.

From what I’ve gathered this PM2 is about 14 or 15 degrees on each side. So I’d be sharpening the very edge, Is that correct?
I don't really know the exact limits of that system, since my experience comes from limited use of one owned by a friend. I usually freehand sharpen or use Spyderco sharpmaker fine rods for touchups.

As for PM2, if I remember correctly, they aim for a 15 degrees angle per side, but from my own reprofile experience it's usually anywhere between 15-20