Think the motherbase can fix this?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BadFish

Think the motherbase can fix this?

Post by BadFish »

Hello all I’m not sure if this is the appropriate section but I figured I’d ask before just sending it in. Kw native exclusive xhp brown handle. When these came out they had lockbar issues if I remember. I got one of those with issues. I chose to ignore them.

This knife was a gift from my wife the first year we were together so the knife means a lot. It’s a user always has been and I love the **** out of this thing. It’s been put through **** but the lockbar was an issue from the day I got it and has since got worse.

Considering this is a pinned knife and I openly admit I’ve abused the **** out of it so you think spyderco could do anything in the repair department to help fix the lockbar. Or should I retire it for good. It’s the only native I’ve ever had and I’d hate to retire it but if the lockbar isn’t repairable I may have too.

Here’s a couple pics. Any input welcone

Bloke

Re: Think the motherbase can fix this?

Post by Bloke »

How does the lock bar sit when the knife is folded?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

You can split the difference if you like and grind the lock bar flush with the scales with the knife folded. From the pictures it doesn’t look like it would remove enough metal to bring the lock bar back to flush with the scales when the knife is open but it wouldn’t hurt.

Personally if it was my knife I’d do like I said above and blend/fudge the lock bar as best I could when the knife was shut. It may never be perfect but ... better?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I was afraid there wasn’t much that could be done. Maybe time to just retire it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would contact Spyderco and see what they have to say before I went to messing with the knife. Just ask them. Actually, I think this is something they can fix.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely wouldn't hurt to call Spyderco, or shoot them an email, before tinkering with it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!