Anybody used any of the spydercos with the Emerson/wave opener?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M4Life

Anybody used any of the spydercos with the Emerson/wave opener?

Post by M4Life »

Hey guys I have been looking at some of the delicas and enduras with the Emerson openers on them I just wanted to hear from the people who have experience with the wave opener spydercos. What did you think of them, are how well do they work on backlock knives like the delica and endura, do you use the wave opener method or the spydiehole more, and your just your overall thoughts about the wave opener spydercos.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
koenigsegg

Re: Anybody used any of the spydercos with the Emerson/wave opener?

Post by koenigsegg »

I have the Endura wave and I love it. Great wave action, very fun to play around with. Def use the wave opener more unless I'm around a bunch of people I might use the Spydie hole
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

M4Life wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:45 am
Hey guys I have been looking at some of the delicas and enduras with the Emerson openers on them I just wanted to hear from the people who have experience with the wave opener spydercos. What did you think of them, are how well do they work on backlock knives like the delica and endura, do you use the wave opener method or the spydiehole more, and your just your overall thoughts about the wave opener spydercos.
My oldest daughter really wanted a wave opening Delica for working in the garden. Her idea made sense, holding a stem or twine or whatever in one hand and being able to quickly deploy the knife with her other. So, I bought her one and then I carried it for a few days before handing it off to her.

It works very well. In fact for me, it worked too well. I would have to make a conscious effort to rock the knife a bit to keep it from opening when pulling it out. Trust me, you don't always want a half-open knife. In fact, she didn't like it either and it ended up going back and being swapped out for a standard Delica.

As a speed or defensive thing, I still say no thanks.

Lots of people like them but they are not for me.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’ve had a delica with the wave-
Felt like a gimmick to be to be honest and while it works I don’t actually see a benefit.. it’s the same number of hands to open the thing and in exchange you get a knife that’s ugly as sin.
That said it may be my imagination but I think the tip was a bit stronger on the wave version.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I prefer zip ties. Both are just as ugly but you can remove a zip tie. I have a bigger problem with the lack of steel choices with the knives offered with the wave hook.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Can’t get the endurance out of my pocket without deploying the blade with the wave. So there is that. It’s not easily decided how you get it out of your pocket.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've used them The wave feature is convenient, but at least on Delicas and Enduras, it results in a blade with poor cutting geometry. I value edge geometry more than opening speed, so I go with unwaved models.
:unicorn
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Interesting comment above re blade geometry.
I know what you mean

Never tried but but would like to.

I use a very early Endura SE
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Spydieflick0909

Post by Spydieflick0909 »

I have the Endure wave and I enjoy it a lot! Really fun to carry and super functional. Would like to have a delica to go with it. It would be nice if they came in a different steel. But all in all it’s a solid knife... not much to look at though....
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

tip for pulling out of pocket without deploying, hold the blade closed with your fingers. Instead of just holding by the sides of handle, cover the spine of the blade with your thumb or index finger. I like the wave, particularly matriarch 2. Other than a fixed blade it's the fastest way to deploy a knife. Can't be beat for reverse grip draw either.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:05 pm
I've used them The wave feature is convenient, but at least on Delicas and Enduras, it results in a blade with poor cutting geometry. I value edge geometry more than opening speed, so I go with unwaved models.
True. The flip side of that is that the FFG Delica/Endura cut better because they are thinner with greater distal taper, and their lower blade mass (especially near the tip) makes them harder to wave open to full lockup. I have to really rip my waved FFG Endura very fast from its pocket to get a complete opening. The saber ground factory waved Endura is much easier to open completely.

The FFG Endura I waved cuts wonderfully because it’s even thinner than standard. I mostly use it on plants in my yard where long and thin are exactly what works best.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I had a waved delica. Enjoyed it but passed it on. I would be interested in waved enduras and delicas if one of two things happened:
1. Sprint runs. Even though they don't slice as well, I did enjoy my waved Delica. If Sal and Co. brought out a sprint run of either model in a different steel, I'd pick one up.
2. Serrated. I really want a serrated endura waved!
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yes, I have used them, and...

- best wishes, Jazz.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:57 pm
Yes, I have used them, and...

That should be the Jazz delica IMO.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

M4Life, first of all, I want to thank you for this thread. I have been blessed with both the Emerson Delica Wave and the Emerson Endura Wave and I like them both. They are two of my favorite knives. I like the blade grind and shape, the saber grind and the Emerson Wave Opener. It is very useful. There are some on this forum who have, infact, found that it can be used as a bottle opener and cap lifter, as well.

It is very strong, very sharp, and one of the best knives human minds have ever made. I say this with utmost sincerity.

Thank you again for this thread and thank you all for your posts and pictures.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:32 pm
There are some on this forum who have, infact, found that it can be used as a bottle opener and cap lifter, as well.
Non-waved ones work too :D

https://youtu.be/j54cnP0xU1M
:unicorn
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

The only Emerson wave opening model I own is the Matriarch 2 which only gets carried if I am anticipating walking around in an area I deem sketchy. In my EDC choice I never find myself wanting the wave function. I can open up just as fast with my middle finger or thumb. On the Matriarch I prefer to have 2 options to open for the "worst case" scenario.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Spydieflick,

Welcome to our forum.

The beauty in the model is not in the eye but in the function.

sal
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Personally, I dont like the look of the waved models but as a clever man once said, it all about the function
;-)

... and the waved models no doubt work.

Awesome, that one has the choice of buying either a waved or non- waved Spyderco
Eli Chaps wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:12 am

My oldest daughter really wanted a wave opening Delica for working in the garden. Her idea made sense, holding a stem or twine or whatever in one hand and being able to quickly deploy the knife with her other.
Thr stem and/or twine couldnt wait for her to open the knife via the hole whilst she was holding said stem or twine .... ?
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

My thoughts as well. It takes 1-2 seconds for me to open my Endura via the hole.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.