Anybody used any of the spydercos with the Emerson/wave opener?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
T-1000

Re: Anybody used any of the spydercos with the Emerson/wave opener?

Post by T-1000 »

The waved Endura is an excellent work knife. It can be drawn and deployed with gloves on. Plus I believe the blade stock is a little thicker than the regular version. I love mine.
TomH

Post by TomH »

I hope we can get a few more knives with the Spyderco version of the Emerson opener that is on the Delica, Endura, and Matriarch. It's a great option.
Lee48

Post by Lee48 »

Ah, The Wave. Or, as I affectionately call it, The **** Hook.

I haven't tried a Spyderco with the wave feature for a very good reason--I have an Emerson that has the wave. Rather, it HAD the wave feature but a Dremel took care of that.

The wave hook kept getting caught on the seams of my pants pockets and opening the knife whether I wanted it to open or not. The final straw was when the **** hook hung up on a frayed pocket seam and I cut my hand trying to get it loose. Plus it was really hung in there and I had to untangle it while dripping blood. That was enough for me, out came the Dremel.

No more waves for me.
TomH

Post by TomH »

I assume that was a linerlock. As much as I liked my P'kal, I got rid of it because of a similar problem - twice. I have never had any problems with the Spyderco lockbacks that are "waved", and I've carried them for years in all kinds of clothing and all kinds of pockets.
Last edited by TomH on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonp1

Post by jasonp1 »

I carry the waved endura on duty (LEO) and teach defensive tactics. I have MANY converts who now carry the waved endure and/or the waved delica. GREAT knives, hard to beat. I used to own several emerson but have since sold them all. I still own the waved ZT tanto tip but the spydeco performs way better IMO.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Two things that are good with a wave hook:

1) A lock with a firm closing bias (such as CBBL or lockback)
2) A handle that sticks out far enough that you can grasp the spine of the blade when you draw the knife in those circumstances when you don’t want it to open on the draw.