Need help with a scandi grind/microbevel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Need help with a scandi grind/microbevel

Post by PStone »

Greetings all! I am in need of some advice to remove the microbevel from the wolfspyder. I bought one a few months ago and thought I did.

I used a coarse diamond stone on the entire primary grind to raise a burr on each side, then a fine diamond, and a natural Arkansas stone to clean things up. I then went on my merry way using it. Then I posted a pic and a member pointed out that it still had a microbevel. Upon closer examination, it did in fact still have a microbevel.

So I went at it again. Coarse diamond until I got a burr along the entire edge. Flip and repeat. Then I did the same thing with the fine diamond, and followed with the Arkansas stone just like before. It sharp as heck, but I can still see a microbevel. So I check all my moras with bevels I’ve reset the same way. All my scandis have tiny microbevels.

I’ve been using it anyways for a week or so since, but it’s really bugging me. What am I doing wrong? I know I have a consistent angle.
Is it possible to raise a burr without totally removing a pre-existing microbevel?
Should I just stop trying and stick with the microbevel?

Thank you for reading this, and any advice or tips is very much appreciated.

Also some pics to show what I’m talking about
blues

Re: Need help with a scandi grind/microbevel

Post by blues »

It's not really zero ground unless you lay the whole bevel flat on the stone. And if you are doing so, you just haven't ground off the microbevel (yet). Yes, you can raise a burr on a microbevel.

If it were me, I'd not be concerned. That Mears knife is supposed to be a tough field knife. If it's cutting like you want it to, I'd not obsess about it at all. Just my opinion.

I own many Scandi ground knives from Finland, Norway, Sweden and here at home. Great knives that get the job done.
- Retired from the chase -
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Like you said all your scandis have a micro. Even if they came without one from the factory it will often get one the first time you field sharpen it. Nothing to worry about imho ;) And I'm a Scandinavian :D
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’ve found removing micro bevels from Scandi’s can be quite time consuming when you take into account how much metal you actually need to remove to get to the edge.

I have a set of five (5) Eze Laps I use. I clamp the knife’s handle to a bench and use the Eze Laps in progression with kerosene as a lube and follow the existing grind. It’s bloody tedious particularly with the harder steels and I don’t have the patience to do it all in one sitting so I tend to do one side of the blade and just use the knife till it needs sharpened and then I’ll do the other side. Either way it’s time consuming. :)
Last edited by Bloke on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
PStone

Post by PStone »

Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like I shouldn’t worry about it. I guess I’m paranoid that I’m doing something wrong.

I’m thinking I never actually removed enough metal in the first place. Just somehow must’ve mistook a burr when there was none. Time consuming is an understatement(4+ hours total so far).
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Sharpening a zero grind Scandi is something that has just always seemed daunting to me. Lots of metal to remove. I’d probably just convex it and never even try to preserve the zero grind.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Can you get it sharp, does it cut stuff like you want - carry on.

Most of my fixed blades I carry hiking/camping have a scandi-grind. I know I'm not putting a true zero-grind edge on it, but it gets very sharp and cuts what I need cut. Most of the time I just use my Spyderco Doublestuff to sharpen it. Just lay it flat along the bevel and have at it. Does not make for a pretty finish along the bevel, but it gets very sharp.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Oh yeah. It’s sharp as heck. I carry this knife a lot and like how it feels in hand. So I’m gonna carry on just as suggested. And like you said, I lay it flat on the bevel, put on some tv, and go at it.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Eventually through sharpening you would work it out. Sometimes when I get a small chip in an edge I'll just leave it. It'll sharpen out with use and those microbevels will do the same. I used to be in the school of sharpening out any imperfections in the edge. It's just very time consuming and wasteful.