Do you care about deep carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you care about deep carry pocket clips?

Yes, because I want to try to hide my knives from view
30%
Yes, because I find them more comfortable in the pocket with deep carry clips
17%
No, I don't care if it's 1/8" or 1" sticking out of my pocket
37%
Other (explain in post)
16%

Total votes: 127

Bloke

Re: Do you care about deep carry?

Post by Bloke »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:43 pm
I bet Mrs. Bloke loves that! :D
:eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

For my smaller knives that I carry at work/in the city I want deep carry. For other use it doesn't matter and I just want a functional clip that is comfortable in use and makes the knife easy to access and carry.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I was out and about with a Street Bowie on my belt yesterday. My shirt hangs over it mostly. That is OK here in Arizona.

I guess this means that deep carry is not a big deal for me. Shiny clips are fine too.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

At work I need to get to my knives easily and quickly, deep carry gets annoying very quickly. The military clip is perfect for my uses, that’s one of the reasons I still tend to prefer the original para over the para 2

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Do i care about deep carry? Yes...and no.
I've never been hassled for a knife and don't really see this as an issue, although I every so often do worry about getting grief do to some people's attitudes. However, when it comes to larger knives I could see it being an issue because of the construction of the knife. Also deep carry is to me connected to the issue of unobtrusive carry (i.e. non shiny clips). That may be more of an issue to most...
In short, I care about it, depending on context. To me it is more important that a pocket clip is solid and well-designed, but it is a component of how I look at clips.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

My main issue with deep carry clips is usually the screws. The heads are usually domed and stick out. This causes snagging problems because the fabric catches them. If the screw heads were flat and counter sunk it would solve that problem. Haven't had good luck with any yet. My jeans just have a thick seam on the pockets. Of course if a knife I'm looking at has a clip that exposed half of the knife I'd probably avoid it. I don't mind the knife showing but where I'm from people barely bat an eye if you use a knife. If i were worried about concealment I'd just carry the knife iwb. This would hide the knife and the clip behind the belt. Most people see a clip and figure it's a knife around here anyway.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Yes. I live in San Francisco and associate with city people, many of whom never held a fishing rod or pitched a tent in their life, much less carry a pocket knife (shame on the parents who raised these people, but I digress). Once I've been on the receiving end of sharp criticism for taking a SAK "Compact" out of my backpack to slice some peaches for lunch while on trail hike in Marin County, so I'm particularly sensitive to carrying and using around non-knife people.

One popular Youtube knife reviewer (can't recall who) once stated, "You use your pocket knife maybe only 10% of the time you carry it, but you use the pocket clip 100% of the time you carry it." I couldn't agree more. Deep carry pocket clips is the one feature that I dearly wish production knife makers pay greater attention to. Clips integrated into the overall design of the knife rather than an universal, off the shelf, cookie cutter clips. Clips designed not only to look good with the design of a particular knife but also not to shred your pants. I think ZT, Spyderco, and Rike have produced some great examples. I would gladly pay the premium to see more clip designs such as these.

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:48 am
My main issue with deep carry clips is usually the screws. The heads are usually domed and stick out. This causes snagging problems because the fabric catches them. If the screw heads were flat and counter sunk it would solve that problem. .
I agree. Check out blade4sell on Ebay and Amazon. They have a variety and I think they are the only one I know of that is countersunk. My favorite after market clip so far. If you zoom in on the clip screws...

ferider

Post by ferider »

With few exceptions, my knives don't have clips. I don't like the feel of the clip when using a knife.

Roland.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I will second the fondness for counter sunk screws - blades4sell. Although on the native, this particular clip had a hot spot in the back, so I went back to the stock clip.

Peter
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

I’m willing to bet that 99.99% of people you come across on a daily basis have no clue whether or not someone is carrying a knife regardless of the clip type. People are pretty much blind and deaf when it comes to their surroundings these days - eyes on phones with earbuds in. The .01% of people that do notice are wondering what brand the knife is, scale material, blade steel, action, etc. In other words, they’re a knife person.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)