Do you care about deep carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you care about deep carry pocket clips?

Yes, because I want to try to hide my knives from view
30%
Yes, because I find them more comfortable in the pocket with deep carry clips
17%
No, I don't care if it's 1/8" or 1" sticking out of my pocket
37%
Other (explain in post)
16%

Total votes: 127

vivi

Do you care about deep carry?

Post by vivi »

Time for another poll. Do you care about deep carry pocket clips? Seems like there is a lot of talk about how high a knife rides in the pocket.

Generally I don't have strong feelings one way or another. I've carried knives that are completely hidden besides the clip and knives with over an inch sticking out. I like about 1/2" to stick out for pocket carry, and about 1" for IWB carry, but it's not something I'll think twice about.

If for some reason I wanted to hide my knives (Something I've never had reason to be concerned with) I'd unclip them and put them in my pocket.
Last edited by vivi on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
abbazaba

Re: Do you care about deep carry?

Post by abbazaba »

I like the discretion, but I'm also not one to wear any accessories or "bling". Shiny clips and flashy handles hanging on my pockets just isn't me.

Military in pocket right now
Last edited by abbazaba on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i used to care and want my knives to ride deep, but if the clip is still visible anyway, i might as well have enough knife to grip easily.

the real answer is that it depends. if i’m dressed up, i’d like a knife to carry deep and be less obvious. otherwise, i don’t care and prefer the knife to be more accessible.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't really prefer either for an absolute every time option, they both have their merits. It's more of a knife by knife situation for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Other. I want the knife to be comfortable to carry so I carry it, and there is more to this than the height it sticks out of my pocket. 1/8" might be acceptable on some designs and not on others. 1" is probably excessive in any case, since I'm going to be sitting and standing.

For the record, my preferred clip is the spoon style standard clip that comes on the delica/PM2 etc. Especially on the FRN designs, the clip hits directly over the "escutcheon" and makes it easier to draw but still holds it secure. Given that this clip already has a dead area where it connects to the scale, I like it positioned as close to the end of the knife as possible.

I've had issues with clips that aren't height related. A few examples:
-The stock clip on the Slysz bowie hit the scales directly over the lockbar cutout, and would snag on your pants when drawing.
-The PPT clip has a relatively sharp end, and even though it doesn't look like it sticks out all that much, it is the only clip I've had trouble with snagging on things as I walk by them or sit down.

Usually, spyderco does a very good job with their clip designs.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It depends on where and when.

I do care about deep carry for a knife I am carrying in some situations--more the "gents knife" or situations where I don't want to advertise that I have a knife.

In normal daily use, I actually prefer not-deep carry because I find it makes the knife easier/faster to use.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I prefer deep carry. I usually wear button up shirts untucked, and find that my shirts usually will catch on knives that ride high.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
vivi

Post by vivi »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:07 pm
I like the discretion, but I'm also not one to wear any accessories or "bling". Shiny clips and flashy handles hanging on my pockets just isn't me.

Military in pocket right now
I voted "No," but I'm with you on shiny clips. I put a black stock clip on my CTS204P Military, for example.
:unicorn
alinla

Post by alinla »

I usually carry tip down IWB, so that 1/2 inch or so it's important so I can grab the knife. In fact, the clip screws provide important friction to grab it. When carrying in pocket tip up, I still like the extra bit as it gives me faster access. If I want my knife to not be visible, then I don't use the clip and just slip it into the pocket.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I voted other. For me it just depends on the knife, how the clip makes the knife feel in hand, if the stock clip makes the knife ride really high in the pocket, what I'm wearing, etc. I usually don't feel the need to change out a clip (I have on my Para 3s). I'm perfectly happy with the stock clips on most of knives whether they're deep carry or not.

And I agree with comments regarding shiny clips. I'd rather have something that's a little more subdued.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

When out I carry mine in my pocket and only use the clip around the house in shorts or light sweats. If I was trying to hide my knife I wouldn't be using a clip. If a deeper carry clip enhances comfort and convenience for someone then I'm all for it it. I'm happy with the stock ones for my needs.

Joe
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

My biggest thimg with clips is how they feel in hand. Which clip I prefer on a knife depends on the knife design. I didn't like the clip that came in the rhino but it didn't feel bad in my hand. I bought a feel carry clip for it but that clip ruined the ergonomics. Now I use no clip for that one. So I voted no, I don't really care about deep carry. If I'm going more formal and don't want people t know I have a knife, I'm going to carry a pretty traditional in a pocket slip.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I care more about how it feels in hand. That is one of the reasons I prefer tip down with the standard hourglass clip, I find it more comfortable.

I have zero interest in deep carry unless I am dressed up and that might happen once a year. Otherwise I like a little bit of the knife sticking out for easier extraction.

I have never worked in an office environment and I hope I never do. I also live in a very rural area. No need for discretion here. I do understand why many would want discretion. We all live and work in different areas.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My preference is "other". It isn't based on a standard, but more of a proportional minimum amount of knife inside the pocket vs. exposed. On the Military, I don't mind almost 1" of exposed knife above the pocket seam. I couldn't say the same thing if my Dragonfly was the same way. As a rule, for me, deep carry wire clips like those on the Spydiechef, Caly, Dragonfly, etc. are my most preferred and desirable.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

No. If I want to disguise my knife I drop it in the pocket. So far, if I move the standard clip to the show side, and at the pivot, if that is an option, it works fine being away from my palm when I use the knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Its got to be proportionate to the knife, like Landon said. I think the Para 3 is a tad high, for example. I have an old Kershaw Wild Turkey that is ridiculous. I won’t even carry it.

On the other hand, I don’t like deep carry. You’re not hiding anything, people. There’s a big old clip hanging out of your pocket, plain as day. Also, I like some knife to grab on to.
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I picked other, because your poll specifies "deep carry" with a pocket clip, while I practice "original recipe deep carry", no clip, just put the darn thing in my back pocket. Can't get any deeper or more discreet than that. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I answered other.

Deep carry is nice, but not at the expense of ergonomics. I don't mind my knife sticking out as long as it feels comfortable in-hand and carries well. Deep carry that makes the knife difficult to get out of my pocket also is a no-go. I also prefer matte or black clips instead of shiny.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I have to disagree that deep carry dosnt make carrying more discrete, especially for knives where your dealing with bright polished hardware or say Jade g10 scales..
deep carry clip makes a knife less visible as there is in fact...less knife visible and a black clip on black pants are generally overlooked...
That said when your walking round looking as good as I do your better off just embracing people ogling your sweet body.
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

It just depends on the knife. Of the two dozen our so spydercos I own I've only felt the need to put a deep carry clip on two. My para 1 and para 3. I find both really uncomfortable to carry without one. I put a blue deep carry clip on my burple military and you can't really notice it when I wear jeans, but I never bothered putting one on any of my other militarys or other knives.