Lil Native Design Feedback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wolfgaze

Lil Native Design Feedback

Post by wolfgaze »

I just took delivery of a Lil Native DLC today and it's my first time handling this model.

For the record, I remove the pocket clips from all of my Spyderco knives/models (Manix 2, Para 3, DF2, Manbug)... The brand of cargo pants I often wear has a narrow, rectangular sized pocket on my knife holding side that is perfect for carrying the larger knives like the Manix 2 and Para 3, and the smaller knives I just pocket carry. I like removing the pocket clips because I feel it provides for a more uniform and comfortable grip. On the smaller knives, I always add some paracord with snake knots tied close to the handle, this provides for extra gripping and really makes the smaller knives like the Manbug and DF2 feel more comfortable in hand...

So that being said, I received my Lil Native today and was surprised at how comfortable it felt in my hand, despite its small stature... So I proceeded to remove the pocket clip as I do with all of my knives, and I used my Torx screwdriver to take out the screw and the other metal piece that it threads into, then I took out the pocket clip. As I'm attempting to thread some paracord through the lanyard hole, I couldnt get it through and peered into the hole and noticed that there was a spacer in there partially blocking the path. I retrieved something to help me poke at it and was surprised to find out that it was loose in there, between the liners. I removed it and set it aside. Examining the knife I now noticed that without the pocket clip and spacer installed - 1) The liners/handles have no structural support on the back end of the handle and you can easily squeeze the bottom portion of the handle together and make the liners/scales touch. You can do this with the knife open or closed. As you can imagine, while this may not interfere with the functionality of the knife, it doesn't exactly create a feeling of confidence/sturdiness/strength when the knife is in hand. 2) Also without the pocket clip and spacer installed, the liners will start to separate from the scales - with a little pressure on the scales with your fingers, you can peel back the G10 and the liners start separating from it...

So I'm wondering - was this knife designed to only be used with the pocket clip or the associated hardware installed (meaning no lanyard usage)? It doesn't seem feasible to be able to utilize a lanyard when you take into account how it changes the integrity of the handle. If this is how the knife was designed, it would really be nice if there could be improvements made to the design to address this matter and allow us the option to use lanyards in place of the pocket clip.

Does the backlock version have this same style design when it comes to the handles & lanyard hole? I forgot to add that I have a serious preference for the all black DLC models so that's why I had to go with the compression lock variant. While I don't prefer the satin finish models as much (purely for aesthetic reasons), I might consider opting for the backlock model with the satin blade should it turn out that it features a different design (on the back end).... Thanks for reading...
SG89

Re: Lil Native Design Feedback

Post by SG89 »

The Lil Native compression lock is kind of unique in that it lacks a standoff and screw towards the rear of the knife like the Para 3/PM2. It also lacks a lanyard hole. This knife is not intended to be used with a lanyard since it lacks the hole and rear structural support. However the backlock version has a lanyard hole and rear structural support consisting of 2 rear screws and a backspacer.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wolfgaze

Re: Lil Native Design Feedback

Post by wolfgaze »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:48 pm
The Lil Native compression lock is kind of unique in that it lacks a standoff and screw towards the rear of the knife like the Para 3/PM2. It also lacks a lanyard hole. This knife is not intended to be used with a lanyard since it lacks the hole and rear structural support. However the backlock version has a lanyard hole and rear structural support consisting of 2 rear screws and a backspacer.

Thank you... Guess this one is going back and I'll have to seriously consider the backlock version...