How did ZDP189 go from a stainless steel to carbon steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: How did ZDP189 go from a stainless steel to carbon steel?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:04 pm
It sounds like you're saying that the stain resistance of ZDP is just like the stain resistance of almost any knife steel--it depends on the heat treat. Is that right?
This is also a question I have on ZDP. One of my main reservations for choosing not to get a ZDP Endura, infact, was precisely this issue. I do not want a blade that will develop pits or flakes of rust in it if I can help it.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I guess the biggest thing that put me off on ZDP 189 is a YouTube where a guy cut coax cable with his ZPD189 Stretch (or maybe Endura, don't recall) and he took a chunk out of the blade. And I just thought; wow this is brittle steel. I will grant you that was a stupid thing to do. He seemed to feel it was a reasonable task for a working knife. I have never fretted over corrosion resistance. I am pretty good about keeping my knives clean.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

And when I say chunk; I mean a notch the size of the wire core in the 75 ohm cable. He wrecked that blade.
vivi

Post by vivi »

dreadpirate wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:29 am
I guess the biggest thing that put me off on ZDP 189 is a YouTube where a guy cut coax cable with his ZPD189 Stretch (or maybe Endura, don't recall) and he took a chunk out of the blade. And I just thought; wow this is brittle steel. I will grant you that was a stupid thing to do. He seemed to feel it was a reasonable task for a working knife. I have never fretted over corrosion resistance. I am pretty good about keeping my knives clean.
Turns out cutting steel cabling can damage strips of steel only a few microns thick, if that.

I think the ZDP/CF Stretch is one of the best folders Spyderco has put out.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:01 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:21 pm
I've seen ZDP get a few specks of rust. But my buddy who carries ZDP exclusively is the kind of guy who doesn't do much knife maintenance, he'll cut food with it and give it a paper towel wipe off and put it back in his pocket (if he wipes it off at all). With absolute minimal (to no) maintenance even after 2 years his knives look pretty good. They look used, but not rusted, and not patina'd like a tool steel would be.
He’s like me and here’s a tip when using knives for lunch time food prep you can give your knife a sneaky wipe on your sock to remove the yuck ;)
Perfect
:D Ha. I'll pass along the tip.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

It's just a matter of time until I get a ZPD189 steel knife.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

dreadpirate wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:45 pm
It's just a matter of time until I get a ZPD189 steel knife.
Good plan! I've been very happy with my ZDP knives.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpyderEdgeForever

Why doesn't Spyderco and the Japanese steel people come up with a form of ZDP that is more rust resistant but retains its basic qualities?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:56 am
Why doesn't Spyderco and the Japanese steel people come up with a form of ZDP that is more rust resistant but retains its basic qualities?

ZDP 189 is already at the outer fringe of both performance and alloy content, any significant change to the makeup would likely alter the characteristics as far as carbide volume and hardenability go (which are the things people love about ZDP).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Swap a portion of the carbon for nitrogen.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
SpyderEdgeForever

Mattysc42 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:58 pm
Swap a portion of the carbon for nitrogen.
This is an interesting idea you propose. That would be a sort of "Nitrogen ZDP steel". I like the idea. I would very much appreciate more feedback on this.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:38 am
If you read threads on this forum from five years ago, apparently everyone viewed ZDP189 as what it is - a stainless steel used on some Spyderco knives.

If you read threads from the past year, ZDP189 is now considered a carbon steel with no corrosion resistance.

Why has the perception of this stainless steel changed so much and what started this false rumor that ZDP189 is not a stainless steel?

Can anyone show me a ZDP189 knife with worse corrosion resistance than D2? Every single ZDP189 knife I've used has been magnitudes more corrosion resistant than D2, and in a completely sifferent dimension than stuff like O1, S7, 1095 etc.

Why is the corrosion resistance of these steels being equated, when they're so clearly on different levels?

ZDP189 is not a stainless steel, almost all of the chromium is tied up into making carbides.

It was developed that way.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:13 pm
ZDP189 is not a stainless steel, almost all of the chromium is tied up into making carbides.

is why my cruwear is more corrosion resistant than my zdp?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:13 pm
Vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:38 am
If you read threads on this forum from five years ago, apparently everyone viewed ZDP189 as what it is - a stainless steel used on some Spyderco knives.

If you read threads from the past year, ZDP189 is now considered a carbon steel with no corrosion resistance.

Why has the perception of this stainless steel changed so much and what started this false rumor that ZDP189 is not a stainless steel?

Can anyone show me a ZDP189 knife with worse corrosion resistance than D2? Every single ZDP189 knife I've used has been magnitudes more corrosion resistant than D2, and in a completely sifferent dimension than stuff like O1, S7, 1095 etc.

Why is the corrosion resistance of these steels being equated, when they're so clearly on different levels?

Do you have any sources?

ZDP189 certainly behaves like a stainless steel for me, and I push corrosion resistance much harder than most. All sources I've read agree it's on par with 440C in this respect.

This is data from Hitachi themselves:

What do you know about ZDP189 that Hitachi does not?
:unicorn
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

My ZDP CF Stretch has gotten light staining on the sides of the blade, not rust just slight patina. It's been used for everything since it came out and I've never seen rust on it. Never chipped either, but I try not to hack or torque the blade when cutting :D
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Wouldn't consider my cf Caly 3.5 stainless. Without routine and fairly quick maintenance it will have rust forming along the clad lines, edge and jimping. Hit it with quick Flitz pretty often. Though the chromium content is high, I don't consider ZDP a stainless steel.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Two things put me off ZDP-189, the staining/rusting issue was one, but just as important was I see it as paying more for deferred maintenance in that, while it holds an edge longer than VG-10, it take similarly longer to sharpen.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have had mine randomly stain. It was always a strange sort of staining that looked bad so have always polished it off. I definitely do not consider it stainless.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?