Heirloom Spyders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Heirloom Spyders?

Post by JD Spydo »

We've talked about every aspect of these great blades that Spyderco has so blessed us with. But there is one aspect of Spyderco's knives that I do know is dear and near to many Forumites hearts and that is the very few Spyders you all might consider to be "Heirloom Spyders". I have my 4 models I do consider to be of Heirloom quality. Brother TVENUTO has hit the nail on the head with the original skeletonized, ATS-34 version of the "R" model. My old boss had me to get him a set ( SE & PE) of original "R" models while telling me that he would sell them later on>> But I'm now beginning to believe that
Donald Trump will turn into a liberal Democrat before that happens :rolleyes:

And those would most certainly be Heirloom Spyders for me. So let's discuss which Spyders you all have that you personally consider to be "Heirloom Spyders"? And it doesn't necessarily have to be a super high end model to qualify either. For instance my original Blue handled, plain edge, VG-10 Spyderhawk is about to become one of my Heirloom Spyders.
Daveho

Re: Heirloom Spyders?

Post by Daveho »

My Spyderco ambitious-
It’s beat to heck and was my only spyderco for years
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:34 pm
My Spyderco ambitious-
It’s beat to heck and was my only spyderco for years
And that's a darn good point you make there "Daveho" because I had similar feelings about my very first Spyder which was a GIN-1, Stainless handled, Spyderedged MARINER model that I used a lot for about 5 years and like an idiot I traded it> now I wish I would have kept it as an Heirloom Spyder. Also I have more users I'm thinking of retiring and relegating them to my footlocker and later to become Heirloom Spyders.

I can't tell you all how many "users" I've had over the years that I wish I hadn't sold or traded. The one RENEGADE, GIN-1, CE model I carried for over a year I would now put in the "heirloom" category. DAVEHO is right on because it can also be a really loved User-Spyder you had with great memories that would qualify.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Besides the time I’ve spent with the knife,it was also a gift which adds to it being just a bit special to me
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

In my opinion, the vast majority of Spyderco knives are not heirloom objects on their own merit. They are fantastic tools, but I don't consider a 20 year old NIB Delica to be an heirloom. Something like Deacon's bolstered Stretch gifted by Sal or a hand made prototype would be much closer. Another possibility would be something like the Caly 3.5 that a gentleman used to save his son from a mountain lion attack a few years ago. But that would be important to only a select few people just like the knife a close relative carried for years. You or I would not see that as anything other than a knife, but the association would make that important to a certain few people.

There are a number of Spyderco knives that I really like and treasure, but those are really only important to me. One of my favorites is just a regular S30V Military that I carried while hiking Appalachian Trail. If I am off base and misunderstood the thread, please excuse me.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

My 16 Kopas, C27 Jess Horn and first thin clip Delica spring to mind.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

I picked up the Ti/CF Military specifically to pass it down to my daughter along with a MT Socom a Colt 1911 and a Sig 226.
I personally think the Spyderco Mili is one of the most iconic knives of all time. Pair that with TI and CF...well that’s just stunning.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

Not to go too far away from Spyderco being at the root of the discussion but for me heirlooms in general are things tied to a specific person or memory. My dads hunting rifle, his Boy scout pocket knife from the late 50’s, my Damascus Robert Klass lockback I picked up in Munich. These are small things that jump out at me as heirlooms. While I carry a spyderco of some kind everyday it will be the one or ones my son favors that I will call heirlooms.
Slash

Post by Slash »

I forgot the name of the first one. Kinda know what it looks like though as I've seen it before. That one and the kopa series. Think there are some with web handles also.
Didn't sal make some blades before the c01 worker? Have to guess that's up there. Heirloom quality or not.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

As already been said, heirloom "quality" lies as much in the memories it brings as in the pure quality and monetary value IMO
for example, i once saw a picture of a Hohner harmonica with a huge dent from a bullet fired at the owner during WW2. That harmonica saved his life.
A thing like that, to me beats any and all knife to be honest :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

certainly the knife I carried on my wedding day will get passed on to my kids, hopefully :)

It's become a 'knife of theseus' in a way, but the continuity is there.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

My heirloom Spydie is the Embassy. One of the most unique knives in my Spyderco collection. Plus it is my son's favorite.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
benben

Post by benben »

Mine would be my Wegner Jr. It's only valuable to me but I'd never ever get rid of it for any reason! It and a serrated Cricket were my only two Spyderco's for over 10+ years.......I really knew nothing about Spyderco except I loved those two knives! So when I thought I lost my Wegner, I hopped my happy butt over to Spyderco.com to order another. Found out it's DISCONTINUED, what!!? I didn't know they discontinued knives, that's crazy!

Months went by and I found my Wegner (very happy day) but I'd already joined here and bought 4 new knives already. That was in 2011. I haven't actually looked for another Wegner to buy, but if I saw one at a gun show, etc. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, cause honestly I'm too scared to carry my old Wegner anymore!

I've got over 20 Spyderco's now and NONE sound like that Wegner does when it locks open!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Like these other gentlemen have said, it's not the tool itself that makes it heirloom, it's the memories and stories that accompany that tool.

It's not my grandad's shotgun in itself that i want. There are now and always will be shotguns coming out that will surpass it. I want the shotgun to hang on my wall because my grandad shot and killed a man with it who was trying to steal their car after a bank robbery back in the early 50's. My grandad risked his own life to keep his family, including my mother, safe using that shotgun. It's a cool story and it's worth passing on the tool that shows a certain mentality far after the man wielding the shotgun has passed away. If you do nothing with your knives except carry them and open the occasional envelope or break down a random cardboard box, they mean nothing as an heirloom. You as the man or woman carrying it and creating memories and attaching stories to that knife or gun or car or house or whatever is what makes it an heirloom and represents a morality and great stories that cannot easily be found in the current or upcoming generations.

Live your life in a way that makes great stories for the next generations and carry tools that can be associated with those stories and pass all of them on. Our children will be blind unless we pass them meaning from our own lives and the lives of their ancestors. Tools we use only help solidify those stories and that's what makes them heirlooms
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

For me, heirloom means something I can give to my kids and they can use / appreciate them as much as I have. By that definition... all my Spydies fit the bill. I believe they are built for 2 lifetimes of use. That being said, I'll play.

Fluted Ti Millie
CF bolstered Caly 3
Any Kiwi or Kopa
CF ZDP Stretch
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

xceptnl wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:25 pm
For me, heirloom means something I can give to my kids and they can use / appreciate them as much as I have. By that definition... all my Spydies fit the bill. I believe they are built for 2 lifetimes of use. That being said, I'll play.

Fluted Ti Millie
CF bolstered Caly 3
Any Kiwi or Kopa
CF ZDP Stretch
As a gift my father rehandled a small mallet and a claw hammer my grandfather used for a long time and gave them to me. The hammers held no good stories, at least according to my dad. In fact, they were rarely used. They don't mean much to me except that they belonged to my grandfather. I still want my other grandad's shotguns and rifles. Not because I'll ever use them, but because of what they've seen.

To put it in context, my stepmom's dad and brother meant a lot to me. Great role models and they cared for my sister and me like we were one of their blood relatives. They were both roofers. My step-grandfather killed two dobermans with only his roofing hammer who were attacking my step-uncle. It's a story unto itself. Anyway. I'm not a roofer and never will be one although i spent a Kansas summer working with them as a kid. I have no need for a roofing hammer. But i want the roofing hammer that my step-grandad carried and used everyday. I'd find a way to tastefully hang it next to the shotgun that belonged to my actual granddad.

Like i said, it's not the tool itself, it's what you as a person attach to that tool. I want my kids and grandkids to know what it means to stand up and fight, to protect, those you love. I hope my son or grandson wants my pistol for the same reasons. I have no doubt that most of my possessions will mean nothing to them, but i hope my life does and i hope the stories from my life can be attached to something tangible that they can turn around and pass to their grandkids.

Heirlooms equate to meaning. Just owning something means little, especially to the younger generations. Have a meaning attached to the tools and your kids won't think twice about keeping the item and passing the stories attached to the item to the following generations. Otherwise we really are forgotten once we die.

Of course, I'm just a man and my opinions are just that.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Bodog wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:05 pm
Anyway. I'm not a roofer ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 pm
Bodog wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:05 pm
Anyway. I'm not a roofer ...
Pretty much
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Bodog wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:42 pm
Pretty much
:)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bodog wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:16 pm
Like these other gentlemen have said, it's not the tool itself that makes it heirloom, it's the memories and stories that accompany that tool.

It's not my grandad's shotgun in itself that i want. There are now and always will be shotguns coming out that will surpass it. I want the shotgun to hang on my wall because my grandad shot and killed a man with it who was trying to steal their car after a bank robbery back in the early 50's. My grandad risked his own life to keep his family, including my mother, safe using that shotgun.
Hey "Bodog" thank you so much for sharing that most interesting story with us. I just wish your Grandfather was still alive I would like to give him a big sincere hug and a "High Five" for his bravery and his caring to protect his family.

Yeah everyone's idea of what makes something into an heirloom is different in many people's views. There are so many aspects into what would qualify as an heirloom. Take for instance one of my late father's old "Kutmaster" pocket knives that he carried for at least 30 years that I know of. When you compare it to a modern Spyderco model it's not even close in quality at all>> but when I think that my dear old dad carried it for 30 years plus it does end up meaning something special.

The word "heirloom" could take up at least a half a page on a "Merriam-Webster's" dictionary if you listed every item considered that would make an item worthy of being called an heirloom. But your story really gives us a lot of perspective and insight. Thanks again for sharing that with us :)