Exclusive Delica - Carbon Fiber with HAP40/SUS410

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rbb2

Re: Exclusive Delica - Carbon Fiber with HAP40/SUS410

Post by rbb2 »

Got mine this morning. It's my first Delica, so I can't compare it to the standard version, but it seems like a really nice knife to me. Fit and finish are great, apart from the slightly angled spacer as noted above. My scales, so far anyway, are nice and smooth with no blemishes or scratches. The only thing I can really say is that the lock is very stiff, but it should break in a little bit at least. Image

And here's the part that I really like.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:07 pm
So here's mine. A few very minor rough edges on the scales, that uneven backspacer edge (which my pakkawood delica has, too), and the lamination line is a bit wonky on one side (they're uneven btw the two sides on my pakkawood delica). None of these things bothers me especially, and actually I really like the knife. It's slimmer than the pakkawood by a fair bit, and feels really nice in the hand. Totally worth $106 imo, except...the one I got has quite a few smalls scratches on the scales. I'm wondering if this was a return that might have caught a few studs going in and out of jeans pockets or something. If it came this way from the factory, no bueno!

So, I don't have any other smooth carbon fiber to compare it to. Anyone that does, have you noticed it scratches up easily? I'd like to exchange this one for a "clean" one, but if it's just going to scuff up a bit in my pocket, then maybe it's not worth the effort to return it. The scratches are really only visible from a certain angle, making them hard to capture on camera.
After you posted in the deals thread that yours had scratches and scuffs all over the scales I took a better look at mine in good light. Sure enough there was what looked like a big scratch across the show side scale near the holes for the clip screws. It even felt like a scratch. I was debating whether or not to send it back. I was very happy with mine otherwise. The lamination lines were even, action seemed good, etc. It's one of the only Delicas I have where the blade drops when I depress the lock bar. So on a whim I decided to rub it with a cloth with some Breakfree on it. It took a bit but whatever it was appeared to be coming off. After the oil dried I could still see some of the "scratch" but part of it was definitely gone. So I put a little Goo Gone on a cloth and started rubbing again. Whatever it was was really stubborn but it's gone now.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:00 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:07 pm
So here's mine. A few very minor rough edges on the scales, that uneven backspacer edge (which my pakkawood delica has, too), and the lamination line is a bit wonky on one side (they're uneven btw the two sides on my pakkawood delica). None of these things bothers me especially, and actually I really like the knife. It's slimmer than the pakkawood by a fair bit, and feels really nice in the hand. Totally worth $106 imo, except...the one I got has quite a few smalls scratches on the scales. I'm wondering if this was a return that might have caught a few studs going in and out of jeans pockets or something. If it came this way from the factory, no bueno!

So, I don't have any other smooth carbon fiber to compare it to. Anyone that does, have you noticed it scratches up easily? I'd like to exchange this one for a "clean" one, but if it's just going to scuff up a bit in my pocket, then maybe it's not worth the effort to return it. The scratches are really only visible from a certain angle, making them hard to capture on camera.
After you posted in the deals thread that yours had scratches and scuffs all over the scales I took a better look at mine in good light. Sure enough there was what looked like a big scratch across the show side scale near the holes for the clip screws. It even felt like a scratch. I was debating whether or not to send it back. I was very happy with mine otherwise. The lamination lines were even, action seemed good, etc. It's one of the only Delicas I have where the blade drops when I depress the lock bar. So on a whim I decided to rub it with a cloth with some Breakfree on it. It took a bit but whatever it was appeared to be coming off. After the oil dried I could still see some of the "scratch" but part of it was definitely gone. So I put a little Goo Gone on a cloth and started rubbing again. Whatever it was was really stubborn but it's gone now.
I'll definitely try that. I did rub it down with alcohol to see if it was just goo, but maybe I need something better. I think I may keep it regardless, because as you said, it's really great otherwise - the action is great, and I love how slim it is.

Edit: I tried the Goo Gone and some serious rubbing, and it worked on almost all the "scratches"! I'm not sure if they're kinda buffing out, or if it was actually splatters of some crazy epoxy or something. But either way I'm psyched, and the cf still looks smooth and shiny. Only really one spot wouldn't come off, and it's right next to the tip of the pocket clip, so I'm not worried about it. Thx Sharp Guy - I'm a happy gal!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:24 pm
I'll definitely try that. I did rub it down with alcohol to see if it was just goo, but maybe I need something better. I think I may keep it regardless, because as you said, it's really great otherwise - the action is great, and I love how slim it is.

Edit: I tried the Goo Gone and some serious rubbing, and it worked on almost all the "scratches"! I'm not sure if they're kinda buffing out, or if it was actually splatters of some crazy epoxy or something. But either way I'm psyched, and the cf still looks smooth and shiny. Only really one spot wouldn't come off, and it's right next to the tip of the pocket clip, so I'm not worried about it. Thx Sharp Guy - I'm a happy gal!
:) Good deal! Glad it worked out for you. At first I thought maybe I was simply buffing out scratches too but the surface ends up being too much like the rest of it. Scratches would vary in depth and wouldn't buff out like that. I think it was some epoxy (or something similar) on the surface.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mine was supposed to arrive today, but it's delayed v.v
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Glad you two sorted out your delicas and are happy with the results! Great!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:58 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:24 pm

:) Good deal! Glad it worked out for you. At first I thought maybe I was simply buffing out scratches too but the surface ends up being too much like the rest of it. Scratches would vary in depth and wouldn't buff out like that. I think it was some epoxy (or something similar) on the surface.
CF is basically an epoxy resin. A strong solvent will dissolve epoxy resins. It is possible that the goo gone just took off a little of the top layer. Was there any black color on the cloth you rubbed it with?

Either way, I am glad it worked. Not sure where mine is as I didn’t receive any tracking info but hopefully it will arrive Monday.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jdw

Post by jdw »

Just a reminder that Monday is a postal holiday.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Or Tuesday? Good Things i have a knife to use until then. ;) :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:16 am
CF is basically an epoxy resin. A strong solvent will dissolve epoxy resins. It is possible that the goo gone just took off a little of the top layer. Was there any black color on the cloth you rubbed it with?

Either way, I am glad it worked. Not sure where mine is as I didn’t receive any tracking info but hopefully it will arrive Monday.
I thought about that before using it. Tested on a small spot and it didn't seem to harm the finish at all on mine. The area I rubbed with Goof Off looks just like the rest of the knife. I used a white cloth (piece of old t-shirt) and no color coming off on it either.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I bit on this CF model using the referenced Delica coupon which set the price right for risking a trial. Huge fan of the FRN model; disliked the stainless and titanium models enough that I wouldn't keep them (mostly due to the weight and feel in the hand). So I'm figuring I will have the same experience with the CF model but want to use Hap40 regardless.

Going into this I knew I wasn't a fan of the smooth CF used on this model, and the youtube video re the CF workmanship didn't help with positive expectations. Additionally, if you look at the pictures on the dealer's website you can see more of the same but to a lesser degree.

Mine shipped out the day it was ordered and arrived in my mailbox shortly thereafter.

First impression was what I had anticipated; I'm not going to like it and I will be selling it. Again, not happy with the feel in hand.

Fast forward a few more days, and messing with the knife some ... it has grown on me and I am starting to like it.

Looked at the knife closer after my first impression and found blade wobble due to a loose pivot screw, and found the sides of the CF scales unfinished enough to feel like they were coursing into my hand.

Tightened the pivot screw which ultimately loosened back up and is now re-tightened with threadlocker and is currently drying.

Took a sharpmaker medium triangle stone and worked the face of the edges of the CF smoother so it now feels noticeably better in hand. My unit does have some extremely fine occasional chips in the finish layer around the handle edges and screw holes as some have reported, it shows up if you get the light reflecting just right across the glass smooth surface. It isn't objectionable but it isn't perfect/flawless if that is what you are looking for. I did notice, however, that one scale is a little more angled across the face of the edge than the other scale (and not from the little bit of polishing I did).

Going to call it a keeper and it is going to get used for the Hap40 experience ... but not interested in a second unit to put away in my collector drawer.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

So I decided last night (or early this AM) to open mine up and see if I couldn't clean it up a bit. You wouldn't believe the amount of carbon fiber shreds/dust all over everything. I ended up taking it fully apart, wiping it all down, and lightly lubing the moving parts with gun oil. The lock is much smoother now, but the pivot still had to be kept pretty stiff to avoid blade play. After looking it over again today I think I'm happy with the knife at the discounted price, but definitely would not have been at original price, or maybe even at the new price without the coupon.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Ugh, sometimes I hate USPS!

This is my Fradon Delica's trip so far...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Do you live in the Syracuse area??
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Not even close. I'm in Georgia.

It got to Nashville and then decided to turn around!

-Thomas Jefferson
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I sell some items online that I've designed and make on my 3D printers. Some of the stuff I've seen packages do in the care of USPS is flat out ridiculous.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I just know it was supposed to be here on Saturday, it's now Tuesday and it's back in NY.

My sister-in-law lives in Rochester, not that it does me any good!

Edit: Sent the picture to my father and he replied "Must've missed that left in Albuquerque!"

I laughed WAY too hard at that... now I'm cleaning up the water I was drinking. Thanks, Dad!

-Thomas Jefferson
jdw

Post by jdw »

Well, I bought one because of the deal and I am really glad that I didn't pay $170 for it. Mine came in with a gritty pivot and scarred like the others in this thread but for the cost I will just use it. It's still a good deal for HAP40 that isn't burnt orange.

EDIT: Is the wonky back spacer safe to use? Mine sits about 40% across the blade.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Still waiting!

I have a problem with patience...

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

jdw wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:47 am
Well, I bought one because of the deal and I am really glad that I didn't pay $170 for it. Mine came in with a gritty pivot and scarred like the others in this thread but for the cost I will just use it. It's still a good deal for HAP40 that isn't burnt orange.

EDIT: Is the wonky back spacer safe to use? Mine sits about 40% across the blade.
My pakkawood delica has the same crooked/uneven backspacer, if that's what you mean. I actually never noticed it until I compared it with this delica, and it's never caused any problems at all.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.