Largest Spyderco Folding Knife Currently Available / in Production?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zvinets

Largest Spyderco Folding Knife Currently Available / in Production?

Post by Zvinets »

Hi everyone, since this is my first post apologies in advance if similar or exact same topic have been asked before :)

Moving on to discussion, as the subject title says:
I wonder what are the largest folding knife options currently available from Spyderco? *Only still in production models since I'm thinking of getting a brand new one. :)

I'll provide details of my search criteria, bits of background and usage profile. For my background, in one of my current occupation I run as a Independent Private Protection Personnel and so my usage profile is oriented towards Tactical, Emergency, Survival and just in case scenarios. Which luckily never gets into "grave situations" where myself or someone is potentially or had been in harm. With that said here's my search criteria for my 1st Spyderco folder:

1. Large one. Combination of the blade length itself and overall deployed length.
2. Built in glass breaker would be nice since that one day it does get into car window breaking, but that's optional.
3. Pointed / able to cut tip.
4. Blade material is focused for edge retention / holding, tough and resistant against wear and abrassion. Rust resistance doesn't matter that much.
5. Mainly I worked around urban areas. Buildings, streets, warehouse, be it indoor / outdoor around the said urban vicinity.

So yeah, that's my search criteria and the important points of this post is concluded. Looking forward for feedbacks, suggestions and recommendations from everyone around here and every each of it is appreciated~

Kindly thank you for the given time and attention. Cheersie, good luck, and stay safe everyone :)
*Spydies in Care :spyder:
1. Manix 2 XL - named "Fluffy" (19/8/2019) :)
2. Military S30V, G10 Camo - simply "Millie" (6/9/2019)
3. Police 4 LW #189V (5/11/2019)

*Wishlist Spydies :spyder:
PM2 M390 (DLT Exclusive, Crimson scales), Native Chief, Military S110V - 204P, Police 4 (K390), PM2, Resilience, Tatanka, Amalgam, *to be continued
:spyder:
Slash

Re: Largest Spyderco Folding Knife Currently Available / in Production?

Post by Slash »

Hi, welcome to the forum.
I'm sure if the owner of spyderco wasn't so busy atm, he would have posted by now. I honestly can't remember the name of the one they made with a glass breaker or if it's still being produced.
Someone with more knowledge or better memory might reply soon with more info.
I kinda know of one with a carbide tip that went in and out of the handle when squeezed. But, that knife has a rounded nose. Think it's called the rescue.
I saw a video shot show 2018 with eric showing a couple new ones. I'll have to rewatch to see what they were.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think the rescue is the only one with a glass breaker, but it doesn't meet your third criteria.

Do you have legal limits on blade length in the urban areas you are working in?

Aside from the glass breaker, I'd look at the Military.
Last edited by TomAiello on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Zvinets.

As Tom said, your only choice for a glass breaker is the Rescue, which has a blunted tip.

What do you consider "large"?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Well, I'd suggest the Police 4. It's bigger than the Military, uses K390 steel, has a pointed tip, but no glass breaker.

As pointed out by others, Spyderco currently only offers a single knife with a glass breaker, though it's actually the Assist model, not the Rescue. That one is decent sized, but not one of the largest and it also has a blunted tip, so not really what you wanted.

The recently discontinued Tatanka is even bigger than the Police, but uses VG-10 steel that is decent, but not among the top performers for abrasion resistance and edge holding.
Last edited by jabba359 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ferider

Post by ferider »

1) The largest Spyderco folders (blade and overall length) are Tatanka, Szabo, K2 and Police. K2 and Police are still available new. Tatanka and Szabo are discontinued.
2) If you want a glass breaker, I would think about accessorizing the knife. Should be easy on the K2, for instance.
3) and 4) K2 and Police4 have great steels. Police4 has a more acute tip, K2 has a convex spine, useful in different ways.
5) Not sure about the question

Probably would get the Police4 if I were you.

Roland.
Last edited by ferider on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

K2 was discontinued two years ago.
-Kyle

ferider

Post by ferider »

jabba359 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 am
Doesn't say so on Spyderco.com and still available new at BBS.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

ferider wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 am
jabba359 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 am
Doesn't say so on Spyderco.com and still available new at BBS.
When I search for it on Spyderco.com, it shows up in the "archived" (aka discontinued) section. Spyderco doesn't always do the best job of maintaining their website, so probably missed putting "discontinued" on the K2 product page. As for BBS, they have lots of discontinued knives still sitting around in stock (since they tend to be fairly expensive there), not to mention even they label the K2 as "discontinued."

So yes, you can still find them new if you search around, but will pay a premium.
-Kyle

ferider

Post by ferider »

You are right, Kyle, I guess I just have a soft spot for the K2 :)

In any case, just checked on the Tatanka - while also discontinued, many stores still carry it. Then again, while I love the knife, this one might be too big to carry even for the OP (I use a Sheath).

Roland.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jabba359 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 am
Well, I'd suggest the Police 4. It's bigger than the Military, uses K390 steel, has a pointed tip, but no glass breaker.
Police 4 would actually be a great choice in this case. Since stainlessness isn't an issue, the K390 is going to be much better than the current options in the Military.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I know it is one more thing to carry, but for breaking car glass and cutting seat belts, the puny looking RES-Q-ME is hard to beat IMO.
me and my fiance have one each on our car keys. You could buy a carton of these little fellas for the same price as a half ar..baked knife mounted one :)

https://youtu.be/z1J30v89gtY
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

I carry a Military and love it, but would have to say the Police 4 is probably going to be a great knife for you. Also, Spyderco knives are waaay better in person/hand than in videos or pictures.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I too vote Police 4. Another great thing about it is how concealable it is despite its size. It is very thin.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:00 pm
jabba359 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 am
Police 4 would actually be a great choice in this case. Since stainlessness isn't an issue, the K390 is going to be much better than the current options in the Military.
Police 4 sounds perfect for Zvinets.

Might want to take a look at the $50 Resilience as well, maybe keep it in the glove box as a back-up.
:unicorn
Zvinets

Post by Zvinets »

Hiya everyone, sorry to leave all the replies unreplied as I've been away for a while and just recheck this post while again on the look for largest Spydie out there :D

Firstly, kindly thank you for every and each reply guys. It's a warm welcome and I've read every and each replies to be very informative :)

Now that I'm back and in condition to fuel my hunger for more sharpies, I decided to go for BOTH the Military and Police 4 Spydie has to offer 😈.

Plan to purchase from Knifeworks or a reputable eBay seller named Belote *(based on some research regarding the seller and previously had experience of earning two legit blades from other brands from him)

Next a bit of my "first love story" towards Spyderco as I've never owned or handled one before. I'll just write it out here as it is one experience for me in finding a quality blade that I fell in love for lol.

At first I had hard time choosing between the two for sometime, and next is like ah heck it I'll try both after reading and trying to get deeper insight of Spydie products. Which tbh, at first, the moment I saw some Spyderco products with the signature "leaf shaped" blade and Spydie hole was like kinda turned off as I have those days of "Tanto point, all black TACTICOOL, with a good steel" is the only aspect to make a purchase *(No offense dear Spydie owners, as turned out I was very wrong explained by the next pharagraph) :D

Then I encountered a friend who had both Police 4 and Military in satin finish with black G10 handle. He lend me the blade, tried it...that very moment, that day, marks my love towards Spyderco.

Seriously...the Spydie hole which at first was kind of "weird" to me makes for smooth and quick open flick with various opening style, the leaf shaped blade as it cuts through paper and paracords...beautiful..beautiful delicate satin right sized piece to me, not to mention the handle quality and smooth yet strong mechanism...one fine piece (two piece) it was. At instant I want it both, too bad guy said it's not for sale lol, looked up for the Manix 2 XL and Para in Maxamet but guess I'll stick with the Police 4 and Millie for now *(that, I for sure, feel wont be my end in exploring the instruments Spyderco has to offer) :p :D

As for the Tatanka, I've noticed that it is one of the larger (if not largest) option Spydie ever produce however discontinued...then, before I wrote this reply, I saw a seller from my local forum puts one for sale in good condition overall. Well, guess I might have 3 blades in total for my first ever Spydies lol :)

*I'll get to the replies one by one. Once again, kindly thank you for all of your insights and time to this topic gents. Can't wait to have some genuine Spydie piece, cheers~

PM2 M390 (DLT Exclusive, Crimson scales), Native Chief, Military S110V - 204P, Police 4 (K390), PM2, Resilience, Tatanka, Amalgam, *to be continued
Zvinets

Post by Zvinets »

Slash wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:19 am
Hi, welcome to the forum.
I'm sure if the owner of spyderco wasn't so busy atm, he would have posted by now. I honestly can't remember the name of the one they made with a glass breaker or if it's still being produced.
Someone with more knowledge or better memory might reply soon with more info.
I kinda know of one with a carbide tip that went in and out of the handle when squeezed. But, that knife has a rounded nose. Think it's called the rescue.
I saw a video shot show 2018 with eric showing a couple new ones. I'll have to rewatch to see what they were.
Hiya Slash, kindly thank you for your insight :)

I've done some search that the only model with glass breaker is the Assist rescue tool with blunt rounded tip. Also have serrated combo edge for seatbelt cutting and cutting other materials, a fine multifunction piece but the rounded tip makes me decide the other option which are still fine tehee :D

Zvinets

Post by Zvinets »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:41 am
Welcome to the forum Zvinets.

As Tom said, your only choice for a glass breaker is the Rescue, which has a blunted tip.

What do you consider "large"?
Hiya The Meat Man, yeah...I've noticed the glassbreaker option for me is the Rescue but the rounded tip turns me away from it :(

As for "Large" it'll be something with 3.5" - 4" blade length and 9" up overall length (which is my preference in having the biggies for EDC and yep the Police 4 and Millie got me hooked for good lol)

Today I'm more into looking something "working" which means ease of deployability, while still large enough for my taste. Been having days carrying something sort of "pocket Buster Sword" which turns out to serve little advantage to carry something not as big and opens smoother with fine cutting performance. Which yep I've found the perfect Spydie for it ;)