My NEW Spyderco Tenacious!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

My NEW Spyderco Tenacious!

Post by tps3443 »

My fresh, and new, Spyderco Tenacious! I love this knife.

nh4 formula name
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Daveho

Re: My NEW Spyderco Tenacious!

Post by Daveho »

They are a nice blade to be sure-
I’ve have had my little ambitious for a long time and it’s my most prized little knife
sonoma

Post by sonoma »

I am going to need one of these.
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

Congrats tps3443 on the new knife. Good choice. The tenacious was my first Spyderco that pulled me back in. It is a strong and well built reasonably priced knife. It is a great platform to learn on. I acid etched and stonewashed my blade as well as practiced my sharpening skills.

Enjoy your awsome knife.

JonesE
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

A good little entry to Spyderco knife.

May it have lots of siblings.
Subject of England, The UK, Earth.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i isn't the last.
you've been warned.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

It is a great knife. Amazing for the price and will serve you well.
Welcome aboard.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

I just got my first Tenacious a couple of days ago. The build quality is amazing on these things for the price you pay for 'em. Might just have to get a Polestar now to see what else China can do.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:13 am
I just got my first Tenacious a couple of days ago. The build quality is amazing on these things for the price you pay for 'em. Might just have to get a Polestar now to see what else China can do.

Build quality is amazing. If it had S30V stamped on the blade, and the MSRP was $199 I’d be thinking, wow the quality you is amazing! You get what you pay for.

I’ve heard this same thing ^ in (2) other Tenacious reviews online so far. Spyderco puts there name on it, so I assume they don’t want people talking junk no matter where it is made.

I can’t wait to try out something made by Spyderco that actually does cost around $200.. I’m sure I’m in for a treat!
“My daily razor blade”
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:13 am
I've been carrying a Tenacious as my beater knife for about three months, and I'm pretty happy with it overall. Since then, I bought a second Tenacious, a Resilience and a Polestar.

The Polestar is *not* a clear-cut winner over the Tenacious. My Polestar arrived brand new from BHQ with a number of issues, including an extremely stiff lockbar, severe lock stick, bulging G10 on the lockbar side caused by the high lockbar pressure, an extremely stiff and gritty pivot that was absolutely loaded with threadlocker, off-center drives on the pivot screws, and a weird/uneven finish on the non-presentation side of the blade.

A substantial amount of breaking-in got rid of most of the lock stick, and the pivot is better after complete disassembly, cleaning and lubrication, but it's still not as smooth as a brand new Tenacious. The Polestar's design and finish is nicer than the Tenacious overall, but the Tenacious has a much better action.

Last edited by Accutron on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Accutron wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:13 am
severe lock stick, bulging G10 on the lockbar side caused by the high lockbar pressure, an extremely stiff and gritty pivot that was absolutely loaded with threadlocker, off-center drives on the pivot screws, and a weird/uneven finish on the non-presentation side of the blade.
Interesting to see you mention these. Pretty sure I have exactly what you're talking about. When you say "weird uneven finish", do you mean it looks like the mesh netting layer is wavy/wrinkled in spots? I have some of that on the show side of the G10. And yea, mine came with a gritty action, too. But that got smoothed out. It has some lock stick too, but I don't mind. I also have some off center drives on the screws, but again I don't think it matters much.

The Polestar has grown on me. When I first got it, I can honestly say the $13 Ganzo I bought before it had better fit and finish. Very smooth pivot, everything nice and centered. But after some TLC, I can say the Polestar is a better knife.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

The 'weird uneven finish' I have is on the blade, not the G10. The presentation side of the blade has a nice clean brushed finish, while the non-presentation side has a bunch of squiggly lines which seem slightly recessed relative to the brushed surface.

BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Ohhhh.... yea mine has those too. I thought it looked pretty cool though. So that's not just a normal characteristic of BD1?
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I don't know if it's normal for BD1 or not, but it doesn't match the other side of the blade. It seems like a QC issue, as though the surface finishing process was applied more heavily on the presentation side.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Accutron wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:01 pm
I don't know if it's normal for BD1 or not, but it doesn't match the other side of the blade. It seems like a QC issue, as though the surface finishing process was applied more heavily on the presentation side.
Yeah, but will the knife cut potatoes with a surface like that, that is the question??

Doggone you guys, you make me want to hunt up my Tenacious and see if one side has wiggles, not that I'll be all that concerned if it does,
ah, but wait, you guys are talking about the Polestar. Never mind, but my potato question still stands.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

The Tenacious! Instant favorite and all round great knife. It’s the knife I use when I’m going to be doing something suspect and I wouldn’t want to take my prized Military for the ride. Helping someone move, real camping (as appose to car camping) loaning out a knife, first knife to try on the Sharpmaker:) I scored a deal at Walmart a while back and bought 4. Love them.

Congratulations!
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Glad you are enjoying your knew knife!
My friend gifted me a tenacious roughly 2 christmas's ago and to be dramatic it definitely changed my life.
It changed me into the Spyderman that I am today because never before did I own such a pocket knife.
One that felt like it was molded for my palm, razor sharp, and best of all fully operable one handed.
The Tenacious is definitely a great knife... Also, you may be interested in the Civivi lineup (WE Knives budget brand).
I own the Praxxis and to be honest... had this been around back then it would of been a tough call... it only gets harder now a days too because Bestech is killing it with their budget d2 lineup... but you can never go wrong with a Spyderco. If anything we are literally drowning in knife choices as consumers in present day (which is not a bad thing in my opinion).
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Here's mine

But the G-10 thing I was talking about looks like this. Right above the cutout for the lock bar you can see where it looks like that netting is "wrinkled" under the top clear G-10 layer. I still really like the knife and don't ever plan to send it back or anything. It's not like I bought it to be a show piece.

Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:47 pm
Yeah, but will the knife cut potatoes with a surface like that, that is the question??
I've only had the Polestar for a couple weeks and I haven't tried to cut any potatoes with it yet :p It's definitely thinner behind the edge than the Tenacious, and it's been excellent at cutting open shipping boxes for other knives.
BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:50 am
But the G-10 thing I was talking about looks like this. Right above the cutout for the lock bar you can see where it looks like that netting is "wrinkled" under the top clear G-10 layer. I still really like the knife and don't ever plan to send it back or anything. It's not like I bought it to be a show piece.
Mine does not have any wrinkles in the G10 pattern like that.

I'm glad to know that the squiggles, off-center drives on the pivot screws, etc. are standard production and not just my unit. They certainly don't bother me enough to return the knife (I had it taken apart on the first day anyway), I'm just interested in the QC differences between the Tenacious and the Polestar. It's very obvious that the Tenacious, while a slightly cheaper knife, has been in production forever and they've worked out all of the kinks. In contrast, the Polestar has a higher theoretical build quality but hasn't been in production for very long, and it shows.

Probably the most unusual issue with the Polestar/Alcyone (and you won't be able to unsee this) is that the Spyderco logo is wrong, on both the blade and the clip. As somebody who has been involved with the development of corporate identities for the past 20 years, I can say that this sort of thing is a serious problem. Large corporations usually have very strict guidelines about what color their logo can be printed in, what background colors it can be printed on and soforth. Printing an altered logo directly on a product would typically be a non-starter.

tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Accutron wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:29 pm
The 'weird uneven finish' I have is on the blade, not the G10. The presentation side of the blade has a nice clean brushed finish, while the non-presentation side has a bunch of squiggly lines which seem slightly recessed relative to the brushed surface.

My Tenacious does not have that issue, my resilience didn’t have it either. Very strange.
“My daily razor blade”