Any Spyderco Military sprint runs or exclusives coming out besides REX45?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Any Spyderco Military sprint runs or exclusives coming out besides REX45?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Thanks for the confirmation and pointing it out I missed that.
superposition

Post by superposition »

I believe this should be on your radar:
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ral--86311
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 pm
None that I have seen announced, which is quite a disappointment. I am definitely getting the Rex45.

My hope is to see these in 2019...though none have been confirmed or discussed in much depth

1. a new Cruwear Military with the CQI enhancement...same grey G10 with DLC would be perfect
2. a St Nick's Red G10 / DLC 4V exclusive
3. a Knifeworks Grey G10 / DLC 52100 exclusive
4. a BHQ Natural Jade G10 / DLC M4 exclusive
5. an Fluorescent Day Glow Yellow G10 / DLC LC200N Military Salt :D
6. MAXAMEME!...I mean Maxamet ;)
Looks like number 4 on the list is happening soon!!!
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sal, do you know of any Military sprints or exclusives in the queue? It's been some time now since we've seen a new Military. Maybe a DLC Cruwear sprint is in order? The last Cruwear Millie was pre-CQI, so it would be nice for a new Cruwear version.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
S90V

Post by S90V »

Are there plans to do a run of the REC exclusive (OD Green, CTS 204P, FDE PVD) in the Military? That would be fantastic :cool:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I've been thinking about a Military for my next Spyderco. At present, I'm lurking around on the BST forums looking for an S30V donor I can throw some Micarta scales on and still come out under $200 (a real challenge). If there was a sprint coming up, and if it was at or under $200, I wouldn't be mad to hear about it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am patiently waiting for a new Military, hopefully before they change it to a comp lock version. I would buy one in almost any steel that doesn't have orange scales. I wish though that we could have a K390 version like the BBS Para 3 and PM2.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

jdw wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:34 am
I am patiently waiting for a new Military, hopefully before they change it to a comp lock version. I would buy one in almost any steel that doesn't have orange scales. I wish though that we could have a K390 version like the BBS Para 3 and PM2.

Yeah, the Military has taken a back seat these days. Where it likely would have been the second or third exclusive released in a family a few years ago, we now have the Para 3, Para 3 LW, Shaman, Lil Native, etc that seem to be prioritized now.

I think we will definitely see one from St. Nick's at some point, but there are still models like the G10 Native, Para 3 LW, Manix LW, Chief, etc that may be ahead of the Military in the release schedule.

I'd love to see DLT drop the Millie as the next DLC Cru-ple model. I'd also be all over an Orange DLC CTS-XHP from Cutlery Shoppe or the REC PVD CTS-204P. Unfortunately it seems most dealers just aren't prioritizing the Military these days in their exclusive series. :(

If Spyderco was smart they would be working on a Cru-Carta production series in Matte OD Green with the Military as one of the models.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love my 204p military.

I think the s90v/ti frame lock variant (I believe it was a Knifeworks exclusive) is the nicest one I've ever seen (and I do own that one too).

I'd _love_ to see a 4v military. Cruwear or 3v would be amazing as well.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:44 am
I love my 204p military.

I think the s90v/ti frame lock variant (I believe it was a Knifeworks exclusive) is the nicest one I've ever seen (and I do own that one too).

I'd _love_ to see a 4v military. Cruwear or 3v would be amazing as well.
Totally agree Tom. Two of my favorites to carry.
I've sent both to Gerald's youtube channel @outpost76 for edge and HRC testing. Should have results fairly soon. Checkout his channel; he does some really nice reviews/comparisons and empirical testing.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 am
I have fallen in love with the Military can't believe it took so long to try one.

Current collection:

Military in CTS-204P Excellent favored Steel bought a back up after falling in love with this steel.

Military IN CTS-XHP

Military in M4

Partly Serrated Military DLC

Plain edge Military DLC

Vintage 1998-2001 Fully Serrated 440V Military the last two are in the mail.

Considering the REX45 what are the pros and cons people who have the PM2 and Para3 are experiencing? How is the patenaing and rust? Does REX 45 discolor and rust as swiftly as 52100?

Where did Doeswhateveraspidercan go and why is his username in BOLD on the thread index? :confused: I miss his humor. :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

S90V wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:16 pm
Are there plans to do a run of the REC exclusive (OD Green, CTS 204P, FDE PVD) in the Military? That would be fantastic :cool:

Sounds like they plan on rerunning the PM2 and Para 3 until demand for those two has waned. Bummer, a Military in that combo would have been phenomenal. Hopefully they do a Military next after they are done with the PM2 and Para 3 runs.
jdw

Post by jdw »

The REC line adds to a growing list of great runs of Exclusives that the Military seems to be left out. :o
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
brj

Post by brj »

Still hoping that the Maxamet Millie will show up any day now.
Or the S45VN one.
Or at the very least the plain Jane S30V fully serrated one, for that matter.
Or (dare I say it) a LC200N yellow-G10 one ;)
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Have said this before..these dealers know what sales fast and what doesn't..that's their livelihood and they see it every day..in these times they probably aren't in much of a gambling mood..

The 52100 Millie..of which 1000 were made.. took years to sale out..the KW Green 204P and TI/CF S90V took awhile to sale out even when they reduced the prices substantially..OTOH the Orange Rex 45 Millie sold out fast but I read somewhere that less of those were made but have no idea if that's true.

The Millie needs a update..call it a ParaMilitary 4 because of the 4 inch blade or to fit inline with the 2 and 3 if they have to but its time..always thought it would cool with a compression lock..
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:01 pm
Have said this before..these dealers know what sales fast and what doesn't..that's their livelihood and they see it every day..in these times they probably aren't in much of a gambling mood..

The 52100 Millie..of which 1000 were made.. took years to sale out..the KW Green 204P and TI/CF S90V took awhile to sale out even when they reduced the prices substantially..OTOH the Orange Rex 45 Millie sold out fast but I read somewhere that less of those were made but have no idea if that's true.

The Millie needs a update..call it a ParaMilitary 4 because of the 4 inch blade or to fit inline with the 2 and 3 if they have to but its time..always thought it would cool with a compression lock..

I agree that not just any Military sprint/exclusive is a guaranteed fast sellout. But, something like the St. Nick's 4V, the REC PVD, the DLT DLC Cru-ple, or even the Knife Joker Green DLC Cruwear, and you can guarantee a quick sellout if the dealer just does the minimum order. The dealer also needs to do their part with a little bit of hype and FOMO. The dealers I mentioned are good at that.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:05 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:01 pm

I agree that not just any Military sprint/exclusive is a guaranteed fast sellout. But, something like the St. Nick's 4V, the REC PVD, the DLT DLC Cru-ple, or even the Knife Joker Green DLC Cruwear, and you can guarantee a quick sellout if the dealer just does the minimum order. The dealer also needs to do their part with a little bit of hype and FOMO. The dealers I mentioned are good at that.
Yeah that's one way to do it.
Would trade all of those for a Millie in K390..If BBS ever did a Ranger Green K390 Millie I would probably be done buying Millies for a long time..K390 really rides a fine line between being to brittle to use hard but still retaining a crazy amount of edge retention and being relatively easy to sharpen..
Thing is they still have the Blue S90V Millie in stock 4 or 5 years after they got it in..they might not have the appetite for doing another Millie exclusive..
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:25 pm
Would trade all of those for a Millie in K390..If BBS ever did a Ranger Green K390 Millie I would probably be done buying Millies for a long time..K390 really rides a fine line between being to brittle to use hard but still retaining a crazy amount of edge retention and being relatively easy to sharpen..
Thing is they still have the Blue S90V Millie in stock 4 or 5 years after they got it in..they might not have the appetite for doing another Millie exclusive..
Count me in for the Ranger Green K390 Millie, or Millie 2. I messaged BBS directly about it, but I don't think they're interested yet.

K390 has proven a bit tougher than Rex 45 for me. I've chipped (or heavily rolled) both my Native 5 and my Para 3 in Rex 45 by glancing off some metal. My K390 Para 3 got rolled in a similar (but smaller) fashion when a buddy hit a staple or a nail or something, but never had a problem since. On top of that, it seems like K390 is a bit easier for me to sharpen.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

A cru-ple would be too close to my gray-dyed-wine cruwear millie! But forest green and satin cruwear and you’d have me at attention! I could be happy with the cruple I guess. I like the idea of 4V, but don’t want red scales or dlc blade.
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:25 pm

That BBS S90V Millie is pre-CQI, so that probably damps the enthusiasm a little. I also get the feeling that tool steels are a hotter on the market than Stainless these days, S90V maybe not so hyped up anymore, close (?) to regular production S110V, etc.

The Military might sell slower than the PM2 or Shaman but the market/FOMO/appetite for sprints has gone up substantially of late - a Military with DLC Cruwear and purple scales, or K390 would sell like hotcakes. And even if they don't sell out in nanoseconds, that might be OK too. Not every exclusive/sprint has to be a feeding frenzy with elevated secondary prices to be a success.

So please Spyderco, Dealers, and anyone else who cares - don't forget about the Military or deprecate it in the mix of products. There's clearly a lot of Millie-lovers here and we are patiently waiting to try novel steels on Spyderco's most versatile showcase knife.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them