Hey Spyderco!!?? Why Not Try A Conventional Multi-tool?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Hey Spyderco!!?? Why Not Try A Conventional Multi-tool?

Post by JD Spydo »

For years Spyderco has pleasantly surprised me with great products that have kept me as a constant fan over the years. I would say that at the time of this thread my cutlery and tool collection ( and I mean every knife & tool in my possession) is about 88% Spyderco. There are a couple of areas that I've really been disappointed that Spyderco has not seriously tried to compete in. One sector being how they have more or less abandoned the Multi-tool market by and large. The Spyderench did had a couple of modest runs and the two that I own will probably be permanent in my knife/tool arsenal. They pretty much only appealed to a market of extreme knife fans and people who love specialty tools IMO.

OK I think it's fair to say that the Spyderench wasn't really intended for the mass public. Oh it really appealed to fanatics like most of us here on the forum but I've heard from others that the Spyderench was just not handy to use nor was it easy to deploy in a pinch. And I can certainly appreciate that because it truly was a tool for knife and tool fanatics and I also believe the Spyderench design was in many ways "Ahead Of It's Time". Maybe down the road it might make for a super Sprint Run at some point but the overall mainline consumer market in my humble opinion wasn't receiving it well at all

So my question is "Why Doesn't Spyderco Consider Doing A Multi-tool With More Of A Conventional Design? I'm betting that not only would most everyone here on the forum would love it>> I also believe that something of that ilk might even appeal much more to the general public and your average "Rip-Mart" type of consumer. With VICTORINOX pretty much leading the way in that specialty market I just know in my gut that Spyderco could come up with something that would be "Head and Shoulders" above the quality that is currently offered on most of the conventional multi-tools out there IMO.

And take concepts like a set of "Locking Pliers" and/or maybe a built-in sharpener like the concept of a small "DoubleStuff 2" attachment. Because that was one thing that I really thought that Spyderco did right on that Spyderench was the fact that they put a sharpening tool on it. Maybe we could use this thread for many Spyderville citizens to chime in a let it be known what features would make up an ideal Multi-tool. Truly I think this could be a way to even lead that sector of the knife & tool market.
ferider

Re: Hey Spyderco!!?? Why Not Try A Conventional Multi-tool?

Post by ferider »

How about we go into 2 steps: can we have a Military or PM with a cork-screw first ? Pretty please ? :)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

ferider wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:43 pm
How about we go into 2 steps: can we have a Military or PM with a cork-screw first ? Pretty please ? :)
Your idea is good JD but I also like this idea that ferider posted. I would like a Pacific Salt or Endura with other blades/attached tools

How about we have a Wharncliffe Endura with included bottle and can opener? Or, a traditional multi tool with those blades?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:01 pm
ferider wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:43 pm
Your idea is good JD but I also like this idea that ferider posted. I would like a Pacific Salt or Endura with other blades/attached tools

How about we have a Wharncliffe Endura with included bottle and can opener? Or, a traditional multi tool with those blades?
Because the Spyderench even as good as it is can't be deployed easily and it not easy for a "non-knife" person to operate. For those reasons I believe a conventional type multitool would do much better in the field. I would really love a unit with "locking pliers" and a sharpening tool as well.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

The market is pretty saturated.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:44 am
Hi JD,

sal
Yeah I kind of figured that might have been one of the reasons :( . And the sad thing is that most of the multi-tools out there are not that good of quality units.

Also it's a real shame that the Spyderench was so under-appreciated for the most part.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

it's not that Spyderco has abandoned the market 100%,
they just released two clipitool models, :cool:

I see that as a start and wish them great success, potentially paving the way for further, more complex models and multi purpose tools/knives :rolleyes:
awa54

Post by awa54 »

With several other companies either specializing in multi-tools or having a major part of their line dedicated to them, why try to muscle in on that market? Not to say that Spyderco couldn't or hasn't made good designs in that segment, but it really seems at odds with what they do best...

Let me just state for the record that I don't want Spyderco to branch out into Swiss army style knives, traditional folders, knives with whisles and fire lighters built in, toxic green zombie fetish accessories, ninja swords, bayonettes, rainbow PVD coated knives with excellent blade to handle ratios or multi-tools ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:15 am
it's not that Spyderco has abandoned the market 100%,
they just released two clipitool models, :cool:

I see that as a start and wish them great success, potentially paving the way for further, more complex models and multi purpose tools/knives :rolleyes:
Yeah PEACENT you are right>> Because ROME certainly wasn't built in a day either. Oh how I would love to see Spyderco do a really nice, high quality multi-tool.

Or maybe just do a multi-tool from a totally new concept all together?
atv223

Post by atv223 »

How about a pair fishing pliers made out of H1? The options out there in the high end aren't great unless you want to spend +$300 on a pair of Titanium Van Staal pliers. Everything else is essentially disposable.

I would think an H1 set with braid cutters would grab a descent market share at $150, maybe more.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I want a multitool that the base tool is a set of 3-3.5" tin snips with locking handles. I'm always needing to cut aluminium and stuff.

Make it happen!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I carry a Leatherman rebar and an 8 inch crescent wrench in my backpack because I couldn't get a spyderench. I think they were ahead of their time and competing in a market that was used to more conventional ideas. They even have companies copying the spyderench and very poorly at that.

If anything I would rather see spyderco reintroduce their model instead of falling in line with other makers. Maybe even a CQI version.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

atv223 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:54 pm
How about a pair fishing pliers made out of H1? The options out there in the high end aren't great unless you want to spend +$300 on a pair of Titanium Van Staal pliers. Everything else is essentially disposable.

I would think an H1 set with braid cutters would grab a descent market share at $150, maybe more.

an H1 pliers based tool has been in the dreams of us for many, many years and asked for several times throughout the years :rolleyes:

no one has made a rust-proof multitool yet, and Spyderco knows the steel and its limits and how to work with it, so they have the advantage there. :cool:
I can imagine the possibilites... :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:20 am
atv223 wrote:

an H1 pliers based tool has been in the dreams of us for many, many years and asked for several times throughout the years :rolleyes:

no one has made a rust-proof multitool yet, and Spyderco knows the steel and its limits and how to work with it, so they have the advantage there. :cool:
I can imagine the possibilites... :eek:
Now that's a very interesting possibility because a completely "RUST PROOF" Multitool would be just out right great for many people who live in very harsh environments. And corrosion is a factor that it seems like very few of the survivalists and preppers have really addressed and dealt with.

And Spyderco with their edge on "Rust Proof" knives as with the H-1 Salt Series would be the ideal marketing theme for sure. PEACENT you never cease to amaze me with some of your ideas :) Actually I would like to see them made with a harder nitrogen based steel like LC200N. But that is something they could sort out easily. But a SALT SERIES Multitool

SAL I know you just said that the market is really saturated and to a large degree I can't disagree with you. But who else in the entire Multi-tool market has a completely "Rust Proof" multitool? Right!! No one yet that I'm aware of. And as successful as the Salt Series is this might just be the niche you are looking for to take on the market.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

atv223 wrote:

They made a set of rescue shears in H1 that never made production. Handled the proto and it was very nice. Afaik price/demand didn't make it viable at the time.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

NoFair wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:27 pm
atv223 wrote:

They made a set of rescue shears in H1 that never made production. Handled the proto and it was very nice. Afaik price/demand didn't make it viable at the time.
Both exciting and disappointing. Disappointing that it did not make production. I wish there was some alternative, like people have asked for: Some form of short limited run for those who would truly want that type of prototype.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are indeed several multi-tools currently on the market but unfortunately the really good quality units are not that many. Victorinox is one of the few companies that seem to take it seriously and give you a tool instead of a novelty. And I believe because there are so many extremely cheap, trash multi-tools out there that it has turned off many consumers who would love a high quality unit.

I just know that Spyderco could make a really top notch multitool. A good quality multi-tool with several tools that are real usable tools would sell very well I'm certain. It seems like it's only been in the past 15 years or so that we are finally seeing very high quality flashlights now being made available. At one time you had MagLite and maybe two other hardware store brands>> but with Surefire, STreamlight and and 4 other great companies I could mention it's taken that sector of the market to much higher levels. I believe that the same could be done in the multi-tool market.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:17 pm
There are indeed several multi-tools currently on the And I believe because there are so many extremely cheap, trash multi-tools out there that it has turned off many consumers who would love a high quality unit.

I just know that Spyderco could make a really top notch multitool. I believe that the same could be done in the multi-tool market.
I agree and disagree with your comment. Yes, a great multitool is a natural progression in the high quality tool world and is needed. I don't believe spyderco can or will enter or dominate this market. I'm starting to see that spyderco is overpriced on a lot of stuff. And i don't mean by a little to fund charities. They are charging a lot more than necessary as compared to what else is available. The hatchethawk just burned me. As did my M4 PM2. They're great products, just 70% over where they should be priced. That's a lot.

I think we need to focus our efforts on WE and Millit to get an AFFORDABLE, super high quality multitool. They just don't have an easily accessible forum to BS on where they can hear what the market wants. I could go on about what i think but no one here cares and i really don't either. I want the highest quality tools at reasonable prices. I'm truly starting to question if these can be found here.

Like you and others have repeatedly said, this isn't 1990 where there isn't any real competition. There are several very high end OEMs that are willing to step up in both quality and price if the big names aren't willing to. ****, benchmade just had a big downsizing because of their policies and pricing. ZT and Kershaw just took big hits. It won't be very long until spyderco is next. Either they listen and demand higher quality for lower prices or they'll drop in customer demand. That's capitalism and I'm fine with it.

The hatchethawk was a great idea with poor execution. I feel a little insulted that i paid 175 for what i received.
The m4 pm2 was really overpriced, too. I would think that we as customers can demand more given what else is starting to crop up on the market. Logging out now. Don't know when I'll be back.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bodog wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:40 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:17 pm
There are indeed several multi-tools currently on the And I believe because there are so many extremely cheap, trash multi-tools out there that it has turned off many consumers who would love a high quality unit.

I just know that Spyderco could make a really top notch multitool. I believe that the same could be done in the multi-tool market.
I agree and disagree with your comment. Yes, a great multitool is a natural progression in the high quality tool world and is needed. I don't believe spyderco can or will enter or dominate this market.

Like you and others have repeatedly said, this isn't 1990 where there isn't any real competition. There are several very high end OEMs that are willing to step up in both quality and price if the big names aren't willing to. ****, benchmade just had a big downsizing because of their policies and pricing. ZT and Kershaw just took big hits. It won't be very long until spyderco is next. Either they listen and demand higher quality for lower prices or they'll drop in customer demand. That's capitalism and I'm fine with it.

The hatchethawk was a great idea with poor execution. I feel a little insulted that i paid 175 for what i received.
The m4 pm2 was really overpriced, too. I would think that we as customers can demand more given what else is starting to crop up on the market. Logging out now. Don't know when I'll be back.
Some interesting things to consider for sure. But I will give Spyderco somewhat the benefit of the doubt because of their innovations and always using better blade steels and a huge selection of different handle materials as well. With their guarantee and customer service I can cut them some slack. If Victorinox would use better blade steels they would be a huge threat to the USA knife market because I've said for years that no knife company gives you a bigger bang for your buck than they do. It also seems like they are doing better quality work on their multitools than anyone else out there IMO.

Well Sal himself said that he believes that the current multi-tool market is way over saturated. However I would think that the knife sector would be as well with all the players we have here in the USA alone. But it's their super good quality, customer service and constant innovations that keep people coming back. But you might be right thinking that market forces will eventually lower everyone's prices>> especially the direction the world economy is going. Most people's disposable cash supply is shrinking due to overall necessities costly far more in the past 2 years especially. The medical expenses I've had this year has really slowed me down. But super high quality always seems to have a way of attracting people regardless.

Now I do think that Spyderco's sharpening equipment is still a great deal for the quality and results that their sharpening tools give you.
JDWY

Post by JDWY »

sal wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:44 am
Hi JD,

sal
That's for sure plus it would be hard to surpass the quality of any of the good old Leatherman models. Seems like in their own multi tool niche they have the same good rep as Spyderco does in its knives.