Spyderco p4 praise

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Spyderco p4 praise

Post by Deadboxhero »

murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:06 am
Carrying mine today. I really like how it patinas with red meat.
Nice, yeah we need more pictures in here boys!
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Lovely photo murphjd25! Nice to see that CRK didn't kick all your Spyders out of your pocket. ;) :D

I have a question regarding the Police 4: what is its "behind the edge" thickness as compared to the Military?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Yeah, I got real accustomed to HAP-40 and can't go back to stainless. Selling my Military to a friend so I can more easily afford the P4 AND spread the disease.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:07 pm
Lovely photo murphjd25! Nice to see that CRK didn't kick all your Spyders out of your pocket. ;) :D

I have a question regarding the Police 4: what is its "behind the edge" thickness as compared to the Military?
Eyeballing it the P3 and P4 are thinner behind the edge than the Millie. They're also thinner at the spine. Being only 3mm at the thickest and having a full distal taper, the knife penetrates thick materials more easily than a Millie.

Prior to deciding to not carry liner locks, the P3 and Millie were very, very close for me. The P3 cut a little better and had tip up, but the Millie was noticeably lighter and has so many different steel options.

Now that the weights are the same, and the FRN Police will be even lighter than either model in G10, I think the Police has the edge until Millie 2.0. Superior cutting performance, stays closed better in the pocket, four way clip and carries slimmer.
:unicorn
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks Connor! I still have a few I won’t part with! I am not sure exact measurements but I know it’s quite thinner then the Millie and it’s a wicked slicer!
Josh
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

I was very excited when the P4 came out, it seems like the perfect Spyderco for me. However, with the K390 and me living in southern Louisiana with 90-100% humidity I just cant do it. I feel like I would have to carry around a can of WD40 and a steel wool. Hopefully the lightweight version will have a more stainless steel. I always said that my ideal spyderco would be an Endura with a 4.5" blade, which seems to be what the P4 lightweight will basically be.
sal

Post by sal »

The FRN version will have a variety of steels. VG-10, ZDP, K390, etc.

sal
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

T-1000, I guess what sal just said ^^ the frn police will not only have k390 steel, but stainless variations!
Also very good to know sal and I think is the right choice as it seems it will probably have different price points and also make people happy by having more steel variations, as I expected Spyderco makes all their customers happy!
Police 4 vs military, p4 is definitely thinner then the military, but military and pm2 are thin enough to be good enough for any edc cutting job, but the p4 does cut through alot better, and with combination with the k390 steel it seems to stay sharp forever and slice all day, even after it gets dull it still cuts better then most knives.
Tho it has only gotten dull enough the 3 finger test would cut if u tried pretty hard
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:54 am

sal
Thank you for the reply Sal, that sounds great.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

DBCOOPER wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:18 am
T-1000, I guess what sal just said ^^ the frn police will not only have k390 steel, but stainless variations!
Also very good to know sal and I think is the right choice as it seems it will probably have different price points and also make people happy by having more steel variations, as I expected Spyderco makes all their customers happy!
Police 4 vs military, p4 is definitely thinner then the military, but military and pm2 are thin enough to be good enough for any edc cutting job, but the p4 does cut through alot better, and with combination with the k390 steel it seems to stay sharp forever and slice all day, even after it gets dull it still cuts better then most knives.
Tho it has only gotten dull enough the 3 finger test would cut if u tried pretty hard
Thats one of the many great things about Spyderco, they actually listen to their customers, and we are some hard buggers to please!
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:54 am

sal
That will be very impressive in ZDP-189. You guys keep taking my money Sal :D
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

That is awesome news Sal I'd like to see some more Rex as well
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
anycal

Post by anycal »

I will be picking up a FRN version. Out of the steels mentioned by Sal, I’d probably do VG-10. Don’t have this steel in my collection anymore.

Peter
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

Yea Spyderco is so awesome! They never fail to make all their customers happy, this is why Spyderco I'd the best knife company there is
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I could see myself buying every frn version just to have extra and save
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

I just got my P4 though in the mail yesterday, after snowmageddon delayed its delivery for a couple of days.

I've got to say I absolutely love it, its pretty much perfect!
It came pretty dull like most others are saying (no big deal), and the blade isn't perfectly centered, and the action was stiff... but after just 2 days its loosening off and already feels like its going to wear in really smooth. The lockbar was pretty stiff but its getting a lot better already.

There is absolutely no lock-rock, which I'm very pleased about. I'm loving the blade shape, and the steel took an edge almost instantly. Its so thin in the pocket, but the handle is easy to hold, its great :)

Keep up the good work Sal!
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

ZDP!?
I like my P3 and I like VG10 (never quite understood, why some turn up their noses at VG10) but Im a big fan of ZDP.
Ironically, the DF British Racing Green in ZDP is one of my Spyderco knives, I most often turn to.
I have no reason to be unhappy with my P3 nor with VG10 but might actually have to think about selling it and buying a P4 in ZDP.
I wish my Delica and my Endura were in ZDP as well. What a great steel.
Man, the constant craving for upgrades … ! :rolleyes: Just when you thought you were happy with the current knives, then another knife model can be had in ZDP, GRRRR... :mad:
:D