Is the CBBL dead???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Is the CBBL dead???

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I use my thumb and finger to close the CBBL. Helps me hold the handle securely while I flip the blade closed.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

@Wartstein I guess it all depends on finger strength, I guess. I have 3 Manix2s that have been part of my edc rotation and I believe have been broken in nicely and I still need two fingers to operate nicely.

Not that I don't like CBBL, in fact I love it! I've learned to love the two finger operation since I can still do it one handed and as a leftie I truly appreciate the ambidextrousness of the lock.

In fact, I much prefer the stronger lock of the CBBL And the two fingers needed; versus my BM Axis Locks, which though I can easily operate with either my thumb or index finger, are inherently dangerous since I can accidentally open them while drawing them out in my pocket when the thumbstud hits the edges of my pocket in just the right angle (like an emerson wave).
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kobold

Post by kobold »

I imagine Wartstein's fingers are the invincible, cliff-climbing kind.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:20 am

Mostly with just one finger….
kobold wrote: I imagine Wartstein's fingers are the invincible, cliff-climbing kind.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

kobold wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:41 pm
I imagine Wartstein's fingers are the invincible, cliff-climbing kind.

Haha, agree! 😁 (peace gernot 🙂✌️)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have been able to do thumb or index finger only for at least a couple of Manix 2s.

The stiffest Manix 2s I've used so far have been the LW Maxamet (hard to both open and close with one hand) and probably the LW SPY27 though it was not nearly as bad. I absolutely had to loosen the pivot on the Maxamet, the SPY27 might need a slight adjustment but it has improved. Most of the Manix 2s I've had have been a little stiff to start but they seem to get fairly smooth and roughly drop shut after a fair amount of opening and fiddling with them. Most of the ones I've had have mostly been index and thumb but the ones I've used most have broken in and my ringers have gotten stronger if they weren't up to it. It takes time and practice but totally doable for many people. Not sure about the threshold as far as finger strength, but it helps. I don't measure up to seasoned wall-climber but I've been able to shake a few of their hands while holding my own.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Instead of CBBL, the Sage 6 shouldn't be a shark lock? Just saying... :winking-tongue

My Manix LW BD1N can be open easily, and it's a drop shut action with no play. Maybe I was lucky. I did have to put no oil and use it for a month before it became hyper smooth tho.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Radetzky

Post by Radetzky »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:09 am
Instead of CBBL, the Sage 6 shouldn't be a shark lock? Just saying... :winking-tongue
This!

The AD 20.5 was the only non-Spyderco knife I bought this year and I really like the shark lock. A Spyderco / Demko cooperation would be a good thing in my opinion.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:09 am
My Manix LW BD1N can be open easily, and it's a drop shut action with no play. Maybe I was lucky. I did have to put no oil and use it for a month before it became hyper smooth tho.
I've had 10 or 11 Manix 2s. Some LWs & some G10s. The action on all have been fine. I might've loosened a pivot a tiny bit but no real breaking in needed. No blade play either
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm pretty harsh on blade play, I might have itghtened it up to the point it had no blade play even when pulling sideways like a maniac !

anyways, even if it was the case, it has perfect action now.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds