I've been bit by the bug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rsm801

I've been bit by the bug

Post by Rsm801 »

Hey crew, just thought i would say hello and introduce myself.
Ive recently been bitten by the spyder bug, and the symptoms are for real, hah.

My name is Ryan, im 44 years young and ive been a knife nut for as long as i remember, but for some reason or another, i had never gotten in to spyderco.
There was just something about the spyder hole and the excess steel there that didnt quite suit my fancy.
I had been an emerson guy for years and years, but something happened late last year that soured my like of emerson so i have been selling all my emersons, well trying at least, haha, they are tough to move, lol.

Well, rewind back to this past xmas.... Sometime before xmas i put a spyderco on my xmas list since emerson was out, and low and behold, my wife got me a manix 2 in m4 from bhq.
I opened that up and was hooked and have been carrying it since.

Since i liked it so much and carry it so much i decided to see what all the hype was on the pm2 when i found a like new carbon fiber m4 pm2 locally for $125 a couple months ago.
That purchase is what finally set the sickness in from the bite and now im hooked. Now all i do is eat, sleep, work, and think about spyderco, haha.
Im really only in to dealer exclusives and sprints at this point in time, and since i work two full time jobs its really tough to score the good ones, but thats all part of the game and excitement and hype, its great.
The search for and reading about what i want next is all part of the fun.

In short, i can now see why the brand has such a large and loyal following, these knives are stellar.

If you read this, well thanks for reading, andnits nice to be here, now to continue the daunting task of tracking down a red scale m390 para 2 or 3, its proving to be quite a chore, haha.
Take care guys and see you soon on other posts.
Last edited by Rsm801 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Re: I've been bit by the bug

Post by sal »

Hi Rsm,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you enjoy your time here. 'Tis a unique group of of visitors that hang here.

sal
Rsm801

Post by Rsm801 »

That’s awesome to be welcomed by the owner of spyderco. Thanks Sal.

I thought a couple pics might be in order.
Hsy70U1_d.jpg
8q9LlF4_d.jpg
Last edited by Rsm801 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Rsm801 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:49 am
Hey crew, just thought i would say hello.....
Hey Ryan, welcome to the forum. Former Emerson collector myself (still have quite a few). An M4 Manix for your first Spydie? No wonder you're hooked. Spyderco's M4 offerings are hard to beat.

I'm not sure if you carried your Emersons with self defense in mind, or whether you just like a tough knife, a little of both. Maybe you just like the wave.

If you're into SD I would recommend reading up on the Yojimbo 2 and it's designer Mike Janich (There's finally Sprints and Exclusives of this design, there's a Jade g10 and M4 model coming from BHQ soon).

If you miss the wave and want a unique knife, the P'kal is also a cool knife that has a wave and is set up for reverse grip draw, and 'reverse grip edge in' -rgei style SD.

There is also the Karahawk karambit, the lightweight Matriarch 2 with the wave and Reverse S blade shape, and waved endura and delica.

If you're looking for something completely different than M4 steel, check out the spyderco 'salt' series. Serrated, rustproof, tough, no matter what else I'm carrying, I carry a little Hawkbill Dragonfly Salt with me everywhere I go. There's a few folks on the forum who consider the Pacific Salt to be the perfect knife.

Anyways enough from me, hope you enjoy your time here.

-Matt
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

If you're into exclusives and sprints then you'll definitely be getting a Para 3 at some point. A new version is released every six weeks or so. Anyway, welcome!
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome Ryan! While the Golden sprints and exclusives certainly are nice, don't overlook some of the Taichung and Japan models, especially the collaborations. The Sliverax is a favorite of mine. The Bradleys (GB, GB2, Advocate), Slysz models, Eric's Mantras, the Salt knives, and on and on.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
blues

Post by blues »

M4. The man has chops. :cool:
- Retired from the chase -
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Ryan.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
garret

Post by garret »

welcome ! Now only your wallet is going to worry jajajaj
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yep my bite marks are festering too lol. There are a number of reasons why I think spyderco is the best manufacturer of pocket knives in the world, and the number one reason is the staggering variety of blade steels they use, it’s absolutely second to none.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome! Very nice and intelligent folks here and tons of information!

...and enablers! Lots and lots of enablers :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Welcome! Try a Spyderco in 52100 or 390:)
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Rsm801

Post by Rsm801 »

rgrad80 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:24 pm
tell me about it.
Im lusting after a red pm2 or 3 in m390. I NEED ONE. hah.
All my equipment for my business is red, my college teams color is red and black, and my blood when cut from fiddling with my knives is red.
Blue wont do, its the color of the rival team. lol
Maybe you have one to part with? lol

Also, thanks a ton for the warm welcome fellas!
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Rsm801 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:29 pm
rgrad80 wrote:
tell me about it.
All my equipment for my business is red, my college teams color is red and black, and my blood when cut from fiddling with my knives is red.

This is definitely not for sale. My favorite knife of all time.
It’s the red scales from the DLT exclusive with 52100 steel that I put a patina on. It’s basically my all time favorite knife to stare at:) I carry the Military during the day and the red PM2 at night and weekends.

The knife was something I lucked into from a kind soul. If I had two of them, I would help you out:)
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Rsm801

Post by Rsm801 »

rgrad80 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:58 pm
Rsm801 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:29 pm
rgrad80 wrote:
tell me about it.

This is definitely not for sale. My favorite knife of all time.
It’s the red scales from the DLT exclusive with 52100 steel that I put a patina on. It’s basically my all time favorite knife to stare at:) I carry the Military during the day and the red PM2 at night and weekends.

The knife was something I lucked into from a kind soul. If I had two of them, I would help you out:)

shes a beauty!
I just committed one of the 7 deadly sins.... Lust