Oil the joints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Luddite

Oil the joints

Post by Luddite »

I have four Spyderco folders but aquired my first one only four weeks ago so bear with me if this is a silly question...

Does the pivot need oiling?

Most of my other folding knife have "oil the joints" printed on the handle or the blades.
Subject of England, The UK, Earth.
TazKristi

Re: Oil the joints

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, Luddite:
Yes, it does. Here's some great information from an older issue of our newsletter, The Spyderco byte. Just scroll down to the second section.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

It doesn't hurt. Definitely prolongs the knife and makes it smoother
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

TazKristi wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:19 pm
Hey, Luddite:
Yes, it does. Here's some great information from an older issue of our newsletter, The Spyderco byte. Just scroll down to the second section.

Kristi
No link in your post Kristi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You can use practically anything to lube a knife, from mineral oil to a drop of engine oil. It really doesn't take much or anything super fancy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Look to something food safe if you cut food
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

TazKristi wrote:
Hey, Luddite:

Kristi
The lubricating oil most frequently used by Luddites? Spindle oil...(with their textile work). The oil used in greatest quantity by Luddites was not for lubrication, of course. (just a little historically accurate dry n' droll humor.)

As for pivot lubrication and The Byte:

https://www.spyderco.com/byte/2013_10_o ... index.html

Small excerpt:
".....In addition to cleaning your knife, you should also lubricate the blade pivot with a high-quality gun oil, silicone lubricant, or Teflon-based lubricant. Do not use WD-40, as it is not a true lubricant. Whatever lube you choose, use it sparingly. Oil attracts dust and dirt and excessive lubrication can actually cause your knife to become dirty......"
Luddite wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:27 pm
Most of my other folding knife have "oil the joints" printed on the handle or the blades.
I've never seen a knife nor blade with such markings. Which of your knives are so marked? Thanks for a pic if you can post such.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Luddite wrote:
I've never seen a knife nor blade with such markings. Which of your knives are so marked? Thanks for a pic if you can post such.

Sheepish am I. I have at least one knife with those markings, just seen; an old slipjoint probably from the '50s. And no doubt some others stashed in the oldies crypts. Either I never noticed those blade markings (small) in the old days, or I just plain forgot them in my dotage.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Good reminder. Any oil is better than nothing. I'll probably use CLP.
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:00 pm
TazKristi wrote:
Hey, Luddite:

Kristi
The lubricating oil most frequently used by Luddites? Spindle oil...(with their textile work). The oil used in greatest quantity by Luddites was not for lubrication, of course. (just a little historically accurate dry n' droll humor.)

As for pivot lubrication and The Byte:

https://www.spyderco.com/byte/2013_10_o ... index.html

Small excerpt:
".....In addition to cleaning your knife, you should also lubricate the blade pivot with a high-quality gun oil, silicone lubricant, or Teflon-based lubricant. Do not use WD-40, as it is not a true lubricant. Whatever lube you choose, use it sparingly. Oil attracts dust and dirt and excessive lubrication can actually cause your knife to become dirty......"
Luddite wrote:
Hi nick, I have a couple of WW2 pocket knives, non locking, which have this marking.

I also have a few 1960s pocket knives have have it too.

I asked because Spydies are so slick to open one handed I though they might have special bearings that need no oil.

I have a Victorinox Soldier which has a pseudo Spydie hole which is impossible to open one handed even though it is well made.
Subject of England, The UK, Earth.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

They're oiled and we'll finished which is why they're so easy haha.
garret

Post by garret »

I use silicone oil, lubricates relatively well and is not aggressive with the materials
Crux

Post by Crux »

Blue Lube?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

My favorites are Weapon Shield, Royal Purple Synfilm and, Archoil AR-4400 WS2.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Every time i oil a joint it taste like crap and smokes like a two stroke engine ;) :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:07 am
Every time i oil a joint it taste like crap and smokes like a two stroke engine ;) :D
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. You've been mostly-dead all day.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:07 am
Ahahahahaha... good one.

For pivot lube on my knives I've been using Ballistol for very many years now, and have found it to work exceptionally well. A little goes a long way. Some don't care for it's particular odor, but I kinda like it. (works well on firearms too).

u.w.