Is the Dragonfly Obsolete?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Does the Chaparral make the Dragonfly Obsolete?

Yes
9%
No
87%
No sure
4%

Total votes: 127

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Is the Dragonfly Obsolete?

Post by Doc Dan »

With the advent of the Chaparral Light Weight, I wonder if the Dragonfly's best days are over. What we have is two beautifully executed knife designs. Both do a lot with a small package and both are ergonomic wonders. However, the Chaparral is almost the same closed size as the Dragonfly, but the blade and cutting edge are the size of the Delica. The Chaparral is a better slicer, overall. The Dragonfly does work well in office environments and places where the blade length of the Chaparral would be problematic.

Anyway, what do you think? Does the Chaparral Light Weight make the Dragonfly obsolete?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rutger

Re: Is the Dragonfly Obsolete?

Post by Rutger »

I think the Chaparral makes em both obsolete if the extra price is not an issue. Which it is worth with it's better XHP steel + fit and finish. But for many the ~$30 extra is a lot.

I don't find the chaparral blade length problematic for office environments. If you hold the knife with the choil there is not much blade sticking out of your hand. This in big contrast with a Delica. Which has no choil and the blade itself is more pointy looking. The leaf shape blades from Spyderco are just more friendly looking in my opinion.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Absolutely not
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can't give a fair option because I don't own a Chaparral, but that's also largely because I already own and love the Dragonfly.

I will say this much, that isn't going to change until the Chaparral is offered in SE/H1. It's a different story when it's PE vs PE but the SE Dragonfly Salt is a perfect knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
juggler

Post by juggler »

If I don't use the choil - and I usually don't - the Dragonfly is a 3 finger knife for me; but I can get a confortable 4 finger grip if I use a lanyard, which is not possible with a Chaparral (no lanyard hole).

The Dragonfly is a classic. It can't get obsolete.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I like the looks of the dragonfly. I don't think it's obsolete. I bought the salt version so I could wear it around my wrist in the water. This way I have a knife that's secure and readily available.
The dragonfly in frn is also $20 cheaper. Some would argue about blade steel but for almost the same price as a chap I can get a ZDP-189 dragonfly. I don't think either of those knives is going to be used hard so both of those steels would suffice for office carry if that's your usage. I don't own a chap though because I have a native 5. This was before MAP so I paid less for it than it goes for now. If you look at both of those knives the native 5 lw and the chap lw. They're very similar. So the question is does the native 5 make the chap obsolete? They were both offered in titanium too with special handle designs. Native comes in more steel options and handle colors in lw.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I don't have an opinion as to what knife is better as I've never owned nor handled a Chaparral but I own several Dragonflys and love them and in no way can a Dragonfly ever be obsolete. It's a classic Spyderco design and will never go out of style IMO.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Dragonfly Salt is one of my favorite models. Until there is an FRN Chaparral Salt this isn't even up for discussion. I still wish they would make blacked out PE and SE Dfly Salts. I do really hope we eventually see an FRN Chaparral Salt as well though. I think they would both get equal pocket time for me.

If you are talking about the Chaparral FRN vs the FRN VG10 Dfly 2, then I do tend to favor the Chaparral.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Absolutely not. Not only No, but Heck No!

Dragonfly and Chaparral are not in the same group... Is is safe to speculate you've not handled/used both?

Add to that - you can get how many different Dragonflys? Wood, Stainless, G10, linerless FRN (my favorite of them) - are there more? And how many different steels? Superblue, HAP40, H1, ZDP189, VG-10, V-TOKU2 - are there more? And either plain edge, or serrated (spyder) edge...

Both great knives for sure. I own, carry, use, and love both for sure. One does Not does not make the other obsolete...

u.w.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I won't say it's obsolete, but it's not for me.

I just got back from my local B&M and I can say that for me personally, the Ladybug and family are superior. The blade on the Dragonfly is much too small for the overall size of the knife.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
KP

Post by KP »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:52 am
I can't give a fair option because I don't own a Chaparral, but that's also largely because I already own and love the Dragonfly.

I will say this much, that isn't going to change until the Chaparral is offered in SE/H1. It's a different story when it's PE vs PE but the SE Dragonfly Salt is a perfect knife.
+1
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Obsolete: no longer produced or used; out of date.

In that sense, no. But if compared to the Dragonfly the Chaparral is better in terms of design and function, a good case can be made in favor of the Chaparral. As Doc pointed out, the Chaparral’s blade is longer for the same size package, the steel is a bit better, the FRN more refined, the lock is better and the overall quality of construction and parts are superior to the Dragonfly.

Plenty of people may prefer the Dragonfly to the Chaparral but that doesn’t mean it is equal to or superior to the Chaparral.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I think the DF is a legend and as much part of Spyderco as the Delica/Endura.I love the little guy.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

They use plenty of LC200N in Taichung and also got the right screws and wire clip in Ti (see Spydiechef/Caribbean) to make a Chaparral FRN Salt version. Hint hint Sal :rolleyes:
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

They may be similar sizes, but the two knives are in different weight classes. The Spyderco website says the Chaparral FRN is 2.1 ounces (60 grams) and the Dragonfly FRN is 1.2 ounces (34 grams).

I've removed the clip and carry my Dragonfly loose in my pocket. Carried this way, any extra weight is very noticeable. I just weighed it, and my Dragonfly is 33 grams -- which makes it lighter than the key + remote fob for my car (36 grams).

The knife that might make the Dragonfly obsolete would be a FRN version of the Lil Native. If/when that comes out, I expect it will weigh less than the current G10 versions, and then I'd reconsider the Dragonfly as my secondary knife.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I have a Chaparral and a DF. Even though I really enjoy them both, they are among my least carried knives, mostly due to size, as I tend to prefer a sturdier mid-sized EDC knife (Para3, Native, Delica, etc). Regardless of my personal preferences, both are absolutely excellent knives. I would never consider either of them.. especially the DF.. "obsolete."
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Time and sales will tell, but I think there's room in the lineup for both of them. Can't say I've ever been a fan of the Dragonfly, but it's been in the lineup for 24 years, so some folks obviously do. There are still folks who will avoid knives from Taiwan but buy knives from Japan. There are folks who live in places with a 2.5" blade length limit. There are probably folks who prefer the Dragonfly's half millimeter thicker blade, or it's almost 1 ounce lighter weight, or just want some color other than grey.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The DF isn't obsolete for me. I like both models equally and plan on using both for years to come.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the dragonfly is one of the coolest looking little knives available by anyone and can be had in h1. it's also the most hand-filling tiny knife i’ve experienced. i don’t really care for the clip and i prefer larger knives generally, but the dragonfly is amazing for it’s purpose and could handle most daily tasks for most people. i doubt it’s going anywhere.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The perfect folder for me would be a XL Dfly2(2.75 inch blade). That being said, it's a sweet little blade as it is. Sal's most inspired design ever IMHO. I wouldn't say the same thing about the Chaparral.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red