Replacement Blades: Would you be for it if it could be done?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Replacement Blades: Would you be for it if it could be done?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Perhaps this touches on the threads about a Spyderco "custom shop", but, what are the possibilities and problems if Spyderco were to offer replacement blades for knives, so that when a blade on your favorite wore down or was damaged, you could purchase only the blade, and have it reattached to the handle? I don't see how that would be as challenging as the customs shop idea, because, these would be already-manufactured blades being sold.
VashHash

Re: Replacement Blades: Would you be for it if it could be done?

Post by VashHash »

It seems easy at first. After 10 years of 2 parts rubbing together it might not be as easy as just throwing another blade in. I think it might require fitting for it to lock properly.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

It would have to be done by the factory, just like Benchmade does. So they can keep the old blade. Cause i don't think Spyderco wants new loose blade to float around that can be abused for fake knife etc.
One side of me likes it so we can keep our knives alive. On the other side i think once a knife has been worn down and sharpened so much that it reached it's end of life, it is time to buy a new knife and support Spyderco through that.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SEF, if someone, like your wife, gives you a knife and you break the blade or wear it out, then you re-blade the knife, is it the same knife?

Actually, I would like to have the option to install a new blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Maybe for premature damage type replacements, where you've broke the blade or otherwise damaged it beyond repair. I don't really see the point in replacing a blade on a knife you've carried and used for 10 years. It sounds romantic and such but the rest of the lock has also worn and it's just not that simple. If you're really only buying one knife every 10 years then what's it costing you per year, like $10-20? You spend more than that on coffee. Buy a new knife and retire the old one. It makes a bit more sense on older models that aren't available anymore but that's just unfortunate and it doesn't change the other wear factors that need addressed. Maybe if they could also replace lock parts and completely rebuild the knife, but then you start running into the old Theseus Paradox, how much of the old knife can be replaced before it becomes a new knife? And realistically speaking how much money is that saving and how much of the old knife is left? The scales?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

I would still be carrying my old original stretch if this was an option lol.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

In the mid to early 1970s when Buck produced their Model 112, Ranger, with the black micarta scales I bought one and carried it for years, to Alaska and back over the summer of ‘76 and on through camping, fishing, hunting, living and working on a small mountain farm. Eventually after much sharpening the edge was worn so far back that it just would not sharpen. I kept it because we had been through so much and I have a sentimental attachment to it.

Last year I sent it to Buck, along with $10. They replaced the blade and reconditioned the knife. I don’t carry it except for special occasions but it is a proud part of my small collection.

So, yes, having a blade replaced on a special knife is a good thing in my opinion.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

This is definitely a touchy subject.

I am of the opinion that if you break the knife, it is your fault and you should eat the cost. It sucks rebuying a whole knife just for a new blade, but oh well.

If you've sharpened your blade to oblivion then you really should just retire it. Pick it up every now and then for the memories.

That being said, I can definitely see why people feel otherwise.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd love to have the option, but I wouldn't exercise it for every knife.

To be honest, there's other knife parts that aren't as wear resistant that might need replacement first.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've actually given this some thought before. But maybe I would like it from another standpoint. Well take my hallowed M390 Military model for instance. I truly would like to be able to get a spare blade for it. Actually I would like a full Spyderedged blade to go with the M390 Plain Edged blade I have now I think would really add to the overall life of the folder.

Actually I don't see why that couldn't be done with certain of the GOLDEN made models like the Military, Para2 ect. Also let's say if I were to break or accidentally lose the tip on my M390 Military It would just really also be great to be able to replace the same blade I had if it were to get irreparably damaged.

But also again I would love the idea of having a spare Spyderedged or even combo edged blade as spares for the same model. But deep in my gut I feel it would work best on the GOLDEN made units.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Would be great for the golden g10 and liners knives
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

What makes you think this would be cheaper than buying a new knife? I would guess about 75% of the cost is in the blade. And then there’s labor.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The ship of theseus paradox on the Spyderco forum. Just when you start to get things figured out, people throw curveballs... ;)

If it were easy and cheap, I don't think anyone would be opposed to it. I also think Spyderco would be doing it already. (Not sure they aren't, in some cases.)

Think about sprint runs and limited-production knives. If you're making a specialty piece like the Nirvana, do you make a spare blade for every handle? Do you discontinue one part of warranty work but maintain other warranty service? Do you offer different levels of service on different knives? What about when you liquidate inventory for an unpopular knife; how many extra blades do you keep around?

For a standard-production linerlock like the Military, or anything that uses a standard-part lock insert in a framelock (don't have many so I'm not sure if they share inventory like they do with other parts), it *could* be fairly simple to replace a blade if you can swap the liner/insert at the same time, as though you were building the knife for the first time.

This would make most sense on a knife where the handle is a very expensive part of the knife's cost, though; in the example of the Military, you could do the same thing yourself by buying a new knife and swapping the scale "covers" from your cherished older model. The milled G10 for the nested liners isn't cheap, but for slab handles it's safe to assume they represent a much smaller percentage of the cost of production compared to e.g. 3d-milled scales.

If you want to have a spare Military in SE, for example, it'd probably not worth your time or Spyderco's to offer you a spare blade when it would be such a significant chunk of just buying a second knife. (Even less worth the effort with sprint runs, where they don't have shelves of new blades always being made.)
Last edited by JacksonKnives on Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

For standard models I could see this as a possiblity but for those who think that it means you will be able to replace your sprint blades you are crazy, additionally it would be just as easy (actually probably easier)to have Seki or any of the other factories sell replacement blades for the models they produce-

That said, spyderco have made it very clear they won’t supply you with washers or other internal parts so why would they sell you a blade?-
TBH you are probably better jumping on a forum and buying another knife and using it for parts I would expect.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:00 am
Perhaps this touches on the threads about a Spyderco "custom shop", but, what are the possibilities and problems if Spyderco were to offer replacement blades for knives, so that when a blade on your favorite wore down or was damaged, you could purchase only the blade, and have it reattached to the handle?
I dunno what it entails on the other end, but as a consumer this would be fantastic. There is another large manufacturer that does it. Myself, and I'm sure some others enjoy the collectibility of Spydercos. I like the idea of being able to purchase a blade of the same steel the knife originally came with more than a custom shop. I could live with it either way though.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I don't have a long expectation, but I would buy a replacement blade. Certain types of locking mechanism don't wear much.
Justin
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

It sounds very complicated to me. I would just think of the current no reblade policy like this- think of the knives as if they were fixed blades. If you broke a blade there, would you expect to be able to get it rebladed? :p
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:00 am
Perhaps this touches on the threads about a Spyderco "custom shop", but, what are the possibilities and problems if Spyderco were to offer replacement blades for knives, so that when a blade on your favorite wore down or was damaged, you could purchase only the blade, and have it reattached to the handle? I don't see how that would be as challenging as the customs shop idea, because, these would be already-manufactured blades being sold.
Sold as in shipped to the customer, or sold as in a set fee that Spyderco would charge to replace the blade if you send the knife to them? Doing the latter is what I knew the KAI brands of Kershaw and ZT did. After reading this thread I see that Buck and Benchmade do it too. I love the idea, but Spyderco's standard production catalog alone is massive compared to those other companies' catalogs, and that's before we even get into sprints and exclusives. Right now I'd be thrilled if Spyderco would just start marking knife models with a -x suffix or a version V X.Y so we could keep up with CQI changes. So, yeah, I love the idea, but I'm seeing how Spyderco's prolific production in breadth of models prevents Sal and Eric from doing what other manufacturers with a narrower but deeper core product line do.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The desire for a replacement blade may be there for some, but how many, and more importantly how many are actually needed? I’d guess that most people who break, or otherwise damage a blade, will just get another knife.

For unique knives, like members of sprints or exclusives, that may not be possible.

To satisfy the extremely small minority of expected blade replacements, how many extras for a given sprint, for example, would Spyderco have to make and store in inventory somewhere?

Would inventory need to be maintained at each builder’s location?

Would each be responsible for setting up and managing the inventory system?

How would those systems be integrated at Spyderco Golden?

How much would that cost?

How much would this increase the original knife price?

Would the broken or damaged blade or knife itself need to be returned to deter personal custom builds?

Would replacing a new blade in possibly a damaged knife void the warranty?

After all spare blades had been exhausted from inventory, what then?

This might sound like a good idea for anyone having or anticipating a damaged or broken blade, but I think it is unworkable and would be an expensive royal pain for Spyderco.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:13 am
The desire for a replacement blade may be there for some, but how many, and more importantly how many are actually needed? I’d guess that most people who break, or otherwise damage a blade, will just get another knife...

...This might sound like a good idea for anyone having or anticipating a damaged or broken blade, but I think it is unworkable and would be an expensive royal pain for Spyderco.
This, exactly this. It is a logistical nightmare considering the amount of models Spyderco currently offers and all the models they've retired in the past. Not to even mention sprints and exclusives.