"The one"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SF Native

Re: "The one"

Post by SF Native »

Lil temp 3. I like wide handles and 3” blade. The foundry was close to perfect but lil temp is closer. Just needs a slightly pointier tip, and it’s the one.
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

I would have to say the Caly3. I love the design and ergonomics.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SF Native wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:18 pm
Lil temp 3. I like wide handles and 3” blade. The foundry was close to perfect but lil temp is closer. Just needs a slightly pointier tip, and it’s the one.
Straight grind the spine?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Knifeworks green 204 Military. I should have just bought three and called it good. I knew it from the fist “twwwak” of the blade that I was smitten. Smooth as silk and a mean looking mother. Takes up little pocket room once you carry it a while. And the build quality, just lights out.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

The first gen stretch. It was like it was made for my hand. I loved it. It was finally retired and replaced with a Gale Bradley 1. I don’t see me carrying anything else as a main blade anytime soon.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:15 pm
Caribbean

Or

Dyad

Or

Native 5 HW S110V

In that order. If they made a full sized G10 Dyad in LC200N(I'd go crazy.) it might push the Caribbean down just because of the versatility.

I still like the Caribbean better, can't wait to see its big brother.
Yeah the DYAD and NATIVE both :cool: Sure I would go for a C-44 Dyad with LC200N for the serrated sheepsfoot blade but I would kind of like HAP 40 for the plain edged clip point blade on the DYAD. The NATIVE in S110V :cool: Sure for a plain edge>> but for a Spyderedged Native I would prefer XHP.

My jury is still out on the Caribbean> but I like what I see so far. But I've just got to test drive one to make for sure. Yeah we are on the same page dude I can assure you ;)
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

The para3 is becoming my fav... but I wouldn't want to part with the others. Still carry the delica a lot and edc'd the endura for two days (may have been too big legally, don't know, didn't think about it, I was using it around the house and literally forgot I had it in my pocket when out running errands lol).
And to be fair, since so many models are offered in diff options, having a favorite type of spyderco doesn't mean one knife lol.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Shooter4321

Post by Shooter4321 »

S90v Military KW exclusive. Titanium and carbon fiber with S90v, in a folder that isn’t custom....huh!!! The knife industry has come a long way. And Spyderco imho is at the top.
Nothing out there for me that has same materials, performance in the same price bracket..My Striders, CRK Sebenza 21 and 25 just sitting there, all bummed out lol!
vivi

Post by vivi »

george.hill11c wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:47 pm
What spyderco did you buy that made you question the reasoning for all your others? Different occasions call for different blades of course, but did you ever find one that you think could be the one that will stay in your pocket for the rest of your life?
Pacific Salts.

Everything else I own, or ****, anything else in the Spyderco catalog has significant drawbacks to it in comparison. The Pacific Salt is the best balance of attributes I value.

Police, Millie and Tatanka are longer, which I prefer, but they're heavier and susceptible to rust.

Salt 1's and 2's are lighter, but have too small of a handle and a shorter blade than I'd like.

FFG Enduras have better geometry, but worse ergonomics, more weight, and they can rust.

Nothing can beat the overall package of the Pac Salt for me. That's why I buy so many fixed blades compared to folders these days. If it isn't a multitool or a significantly larger folder, it's not going to get carried. Manix XL, Millie, Police, Szabo folder....I've got over $1,000 worth of nice folders collecting dust.

I weigh every purchase against this knife. The Chinook 4 has been on my list for a while, but it's the price of two pacific salts, weighs as much as my PE and SE Pacific Salt combined, and is bulkier in the pocket. So looking at it like that it's tough to justify picking one up over a back-up Pacific Salt.

The FRN Police 4 is one of the only knives could take its place. Minimal weight gain for superior blade geometry and the handle / blade length I prefer. I'll still take my Salt on days corrosion resistance wouldbe more beneficial than length + geometry.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:45 pm
SF Native wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:18 pm
Straight grind the spine?
The natural place to start that grind would be the thumb ramp. But they would grind into the spider hole. I will just have to suffer with it as is.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I can do "The Two"
For summertime and work, UKPK in s110v. Have a few different flavors now, but this is it. Wonderful ergos, light as a feather, keeps an aggressive edge forever.
For long pants weather (only a few months a year here) I really like the Para 3. Have most of the steels, but s110v is currently beating out the rex45 and cruwear :eek:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:05 pm
Pacific Salts.

Everything else I own, or ****, anything else in the Spyderco catalog ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
juggler

Post by juggler »

It took me years to get a Native, which is weird because it's a knife that has always intrigued me.

Now that I have one in S110V, it's pretty much the only knife I use on a daily basis. Which doesn't mean I'm not waiting for the Native Salt (are we there yet?) ;)
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

rgrad80 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 pm
Knifeworks green 204 Military. I should have just bought three and called it good.
That's my favorite Military. I wish I'd bought a back up when they were available.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd have to say the Shaman.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:05 pm

Pacific Salts.

Everything else I own, or ****, anything else in the Spyderco catalog has significant drawbacks to it in comparison. The Pacific Salt is the best balance of attributes I value.
Nothing can beat the overall package of the Pac Salt for me. That's why I buy so many fixed blades compared to folders these days. If it isn't a multitool or a significantly larger folder, it's not going to get carried.

This exactly applies to me :p
I have stronger, bigger, fancier, more expensive, sexier, tougher and smoother, quicker...but the Pacific always gets the pocket time, usually the others are carried in addition to the Pacific :o

elena86

Post by elena86 »

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There's no "one" for me, I have two, the Kiwi and the Stretch. There's been a Kiwi in my watch pocket almost every day for the past 15 years and a Stretch in my back pocket almost as often since it first came out in November of '04.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Slykat9

Post by Slykat9 »

The Delica, it's just the perfect EDC piece for me.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

“The one” for me is the Native, any generation. Not too large, not too small...perfect size for my daily uses.When I grab one is like it is melted to my hand, perfect ergonomics for me.