Who here carries a fixed blade in your front pocket, and whatcha got?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cptdean

Who here carries a fixed blade in your front pocket, and whatcha got?

Post by cptdean »

Do you do it? Does it really make sense over so many excellent folding knives? Is it comfortable, and what are the advantages in a knife small enough to carry this way?

I'm asking all of this because I'm thinking it might be fun to give it a try. Thanks!
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
SG89

Re: Who here carries a fixed blade in your front pocket, and whatcha got?

Post by SG89 »

Swick 2 bc its fun
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

No pocket carry, but I carry them horizontal on my belt most days. Lately an L.T. Wright frontier valley.
:unicorn
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Ban Tang SAF
--Jeremy
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I carry a small fixed blade often. Here's some of my rotation.

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr

cptdean

Post by cptdean »

mrtodd777, those are nice!

Has anyone tried a Spyderco Enuff in your front pocket?
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Horizontal carry for me too. I'm most fond of my Bradford Guardian 3 (because it's pretty small) but I've also carried a Mora, a Roselli Puuko, and my favorite custom that way.

Where I live there's no real need to conceal a fixed blade, and during the winter it's hidden on the belt anyway.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I have a nice little Dozier personal in D2 and cocobolo that I can tuck in my front pocket but I usually carry it horizontal on the belt. It’s not comfortable to carry in the pocket and sit.
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

I used to only carry a fixed blade. Mostly a Carter cutlery perfect model neck knife but I would pocket carry it about a third of the time. Before the carter I would pocket carry an izula2 or a Becker or a small LT Wright. I would still be a small fixed blade guy if my job would allow it. It is frowned upon in a nuclear power plant now.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I tried and I even had a thread about making a custom pocket sheath but I stopped carrying it until I figure it out. It had to be as convenient as a folder and has to be drawn and sheathed easily with one hand, and that's the challenge. I want a sheath that clips to my pocket and stays where I put it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:53 am
I tried and I even had a thread about making a custom pocket sheath but I stopped carrying it until I figure it out. It had to be as convenient as a folder and has to be drawn and sheathed easily with one hand, and that's the challenge. I want a sheath that clips to my pocket and stays where I put it.
Check out the pocket Sheaths from CollectorKnives. My GEC 1095 fixed blade fits perfectly in it. Clips right to the inside of my front pocket and stays put.

Also Check out Cajun Leather works for Custom work. I had him make me a custom pocket sheath for my GB Air. I love it..

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

cptdean wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:28 pm
Do you do it? Does it really make sense over so many excellent folding knives? Is it comfortable, and what are the advantages in a knife small enough to carry this way?

I'm asking all of this because I'm thinking it might be fun to give it a try. Thanks!
Spartan Enyo neck knife, with 1 or 2 Bradford Guardian 3's carried horizontally on the waist.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

mrtodd777 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:49 pm
I carry a small fixed blade often. Here's some of my rotation.

Is that an Jumpmaster 2 with the Kydex sheath? Regardless, can you tell me who made that sheath for you, it's beautiful and I want one for my Jumpmaster 2!
Last edited by Naperville on Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i’ve always loved the esee izula. it’s my favorite small fixed blade.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Is that an Jumpmaster 2 with the Kydex sheath? Regardless, can you tell me who made that sheath for you, it's beautiful and I want one for my Jumpmaster 2!
Its a 20CV Mule team with Custom Contaval Scales made by a member of this forum. The sheath was made by an ex employee of mine that works with Kydex (This one is Carbon Fiber) He makes gun holsters mostly. Unfortunately we had to let him ago and I am no longer in contact with him.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

mrtodd777 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:06 am
Also Check out Cajun Leather works for Custom work. I had him make me a custom pocket sheath for my GB Air. I love it..

I like that. M4 wharnie goodness!
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

Creely Blades Makko in REX 121 in his pocket sheath.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have a few that I carry occasionally for fun. One is a Bradford Guardian 3, the other 2 are customs. I find that I can carry a knife of 7" overall length or just a bit shorter in the front pocket of some of my pants, that's about it. Anything shorter and I don't find it useful because I can't get a good grip on the handle, anything longer and it sticks out of my pocket.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

mrtodd777 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:47 pm
Naperville wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Its a 20CV Mule team with Custom Contaval Scales made by a member of this forum. The sheath was made by an ex employee of mine that works with Kydex (This one is Carbon Fiber) He makes gun holsters mostly. Unfortunately we had to let him ago and I am no longer in contact with him.
Ouch! Too bad on that... Should have had him make you a box of those sheaths before you let him go. :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:53 am
I'm with you. If a fixed blade is cumbersome to carry or use, it will get left at home. Hopefully you find a setup that works for you.

For me, I've figured out what makes a comfy EDC FB:

- Under 7.5" OAL
- Under 5oz with sheath and all attachments
- Not very wide top to bottom (Sheath too, not just the knife). Ronin 2's are fairly wide, Cold Steel Spikes are narrow.
- Sheath that can attach horizontally to the front of my belt, and hold the knife securely
- Slots to thread paracord through. Paracord loops are lighter and more compact than clips and tek-loks, cheaper, hold the knife closer to my body so it moves less, and keeps the sheath in one place when I draw and sheathe the knife.

I usually carry an ESEE Izula 2, L T Wright Frontier Valley, or Landi PSK. All in carbon steel with micarta scales. They are all light and compact, with a blade about the size of a Delica.

My setup is comfortable standing, sitting, etc. Stays in place during an all out sprint. Sheath doesn't move when I draw my knife or sheath it so one handed operation is easy. Can easily be concealed or unconcealed depending on the laws of where I am. All three knives are small and classy enough that they've never drawn negative attention, and I have one on my belt 7 days a week generally. Never an issue using them at work in front of coworkers and whatnot.

Sometimes I'll carry a longer fixed blade behind my hip, but I generally only use my bigger fixed blades for yard work, camping, etc. Not for EDC. I've yet to find a way to comfortably EDC a FB behind my hip, feels like crap when I sit down in my car.
:unicorn