New Model Dropped: Brouwer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

New Model Dropped: Brouwer

Post by dplafoll »

Hey everybody. I apologize for the delay on getting these up, and for not being around as much. Life, uhhh, finds a way (of getting in the way). Thanks as always to Mark's Outdoors.

Album link: https://www.flickr.com/gp/57770516@N06/11785n

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr

Thoughts:
This is a really nice, basic knife, and that might hurt its sales. It's very well made, looks and feels really nice, has a great blade shape, but I think some people may find it too basic (Ti/G10 framelock w/ S30V, non-flipper, etc.) to justify $175. I don't think it's over-priced for what you're getting; I just think that it might not be flashy enough for some people at that price point. Better steel? Flipper? Full Ti handles? What would you change?
Ergonomics are nice, and I'd bet on it being really nice to use when cutting. Blade shape is a great drop-point, and helps keep the overall profile very slim by eliminating the thumb ramp. Action is very nice, lockup is solid and undramatic, G-10 is a nice color and feels nice.
There's nothing really to complain about here. However, I will complain a bit about the clip. It's too large relative to the size of the knife, which might be OK if it also wasn't so far down the handle. I made a second video there that shows off what I mean; there is a LOT of this knife sticking up out of the pocket. I know not everyone wants or needs a deep carry, but this is way, way too much knife sticking out for a knife this size. I think the wire clip would've been a much better choice here (as it seems to be for most of the small knives, IMO). That, or moving the clip all the way to the end and re-working the standoff screws.
It's not really a deal-breaker for me though; I'd probably be in the market for this knife if it weren't for several good reasons not to get it just yet. They are: Techno 2, Drunken, Amalgam, Techno 2, Paysan, Subvert, Kapara, Smock, Techno 2, maybe even the Mantra 3. If I had a lot more knife money to spend, I'd really look at the Brouwer, but I don't, and I think it's clear where I plan on spending what I do have.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
abbazaba

Re: New Model Dropped: Brouwer

Post by abbazaba »

Don't forget about the Techno 2.

:D
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Isn’t the Paysan going to be like 80% more expensive than this? I hope this one does well, but I agree, it’s hard to “sell” really great execution. Far easier to sell features.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

It does kinda stink that the really nice high end knives are now using basic steels while the high end steels are on the Para series, because I have 6 of these now it's getting a bit tired. 20CV or similar would have been a nice upgrade
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks for the review
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thanks for the picture and review, nice knife.
......but I'm with you koenigsegg.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white