UKPK Spring design and wearing point

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RazorSharp86

UKPK Spring design and wearing point

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Hi all,

I recently noticed that there's a slight polished indent point on the inside of my S110V UKPK's spring where the tang/choil hits it during closing.
Now, it usually isn't an issue with a typical traditional knife, and is quite common because the kick hits the inside of a traditional knife's spring with quite some force. However, the common traditional knife is designed with a thick piece of metal for its spring, while the UKPK's tuning fork like design makes it quite thin at that spot where the kick/choil/tang area comes in contact and even rather hits the spring when closing the blade.

I close the UKPK by pressing my index finger on the blade when it's at its half stop position, so the force of the blade closing may be slightly higher than it may have been intended to take when the knife was designed. Even though I would not call it excessive by any means, I just thought I should mention it, since there is actual force coming down on the spring in addition to its natural springy retention of the closed position.

Do you guys have any opinions on this observation? Do you thing that the spring will break?
I had traditional knives that are decades old with spring tension that makes the blade kicks hit the springs with greater force, but these knives do not exhibit any issues and I am not worried about the springs breaking. It is simply that the spring designs simply appear to be more solid.

Any thoughts, opinions and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Also, if anybody from Spyderco (Sal maybe) could chime in, I'd be really thankful for the feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Val.
Nate

Re: UKPK Spring design and wearing point

Post by Nate »

I've heard of one broken spring but it seems extremely rare. Personally not worried about it and confident Spyderco would take care of it if the spring ever failed. I typically also close the UKPK with my index finger on the spine as you described.

Here is the thread:
viewtopic.php?t=74978
:spyder:
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Nate wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:25 am
I've heard of one broken spring but it seems extremely rare. Personally not worried about it and confident Spyderco would take care of it if the spring ever failed. I typically also close the UKPK with my index finger on the spine as you described.

Here is the thread:
viewtopic.php?t=74978
Thanks for chiming in.
I am sure that if a spring breakage/failure happens then Spyderco will take care of it if I send it in, and I’ve had experience with their warranty department in the paat.
I’m simply more concerned about the general idea in terma of a potential weak spot in the backspring’s design. The thickness of the metal at the point where the kick hits it is really minimal and small. It almost seems like it’s an obvious weak link.

I don’t know. My brain just seems to be fixated on this issue in the last few days. Lol. So far it has been performing well but I wanted to hear any feedback from people who may have opinions about it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi RazorSharp,

We've not had problems with that part of the spring. We've also tried a variety of different materials, heat treats and grinds on the spring. Always trying to improve. It's a new concept and like many new concepts, there is an evolution to refinement. I'm sure if you have a problem, we'll want the part back and we'll fix it.

sal
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:29 pm
Hi RazorSharp,

We've not had problems with that part of the spring. We've also tried a variety of different materials, heat treats and grinds on the spring. Always trying to improve. It's a new concept and like many new concepts, there is an evolution to refinement. I'm sure if you have a problem, we'll want the part back and we'll fix it.

sal
You and your team at Spyderco rock, Sal!
Thank you for personally replying.
I know that no matter the Spyderco product I invest in, I am always in good hands.