Jerry Brouwer review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cujobob

Re: Jerry Brouwer review

Post by Cujobob »

I will agree with the hourglass pocket clip issues. It’s one thing to have the knife stick out a bit to grab it more easily, but there’s a point of ridiculousness... particularly on smaller knives. Heck, Spyderco could just use an hourglass clip with a hole by the screws over the lanyard hole. Combine both the lanyard hole and pocket clip screw area as they’ve done before.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I was really excited about this when I saw it in the catalog-
Price is too high for me to justify personally- it’s like a nicer and substantially more expensive zankudo- but I’ve also had a zankudo so meh
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

After looking at the pictures I could find, it does look like an already high-riding design got a little bit higher.
here's a version with thumb studs.
Also notice the Sebenza-style clip that sits on the lockbar; I don't mind this myself though I know it causes problems for some making it tricky to release the lock. Wouldn't surprise me if Spyderco insists in making that change to avoid "warranty" calls.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I appreciate the opinionated review. Thanks for taking the time.
anycal

Post by anycal »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:03 am
After looking at the pictures I could find, it does look like an already high-riding design got a little bit higher.
here's a version with thumb studs.
Also notice the Sebenza-style clip that sits on the lockbar; I don't mind this myself though I know it causes problems for some making it tricky to release the lock. Wouldn't surprise me if Spyderco insists in making that change to avoid "warranty" calls.
That does look good.

I have a ZT and a Ti Military, where the clip sits 50/50 on the lockbar/frame. Doesn't seem to cause any issues.

This clip is used in so many models, that I think we can agree, using it here is a matter of keeping the cost down. Which is OK. But I do wish Spyderco would design something new. These smaller knives need a shorter clip. Deep carry or not, it should be shorter.
Peter
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Not a sprint run. It's regular production.
I said some sort of sprint run

I have a feeling that Spyderco is selling more sprint runs, limited editions and dealer exclusives than regular models, so in my opinion the expensive regular models are the rare ones

Release a production model and then flood the market with Sprint Runs, after all Spyderco delivers what the market is requesting, so an expensive regular production piece that doesn't sell a gazillion is the new sprint run now :D

This is a theory of mine
Or maybe just clever Spyderco marketing :D

How does it cut?
It's thin, it's S30V and it's sharp so it cuts well

So, which way of life would you prefer?
I guess Wild-West would be more fun :D

I don’t know why everyone assumes Spyderco accidentally makes the knife ride high in the pocket. Some people want a pocket knife to be readily accessible. It’s easier to make a knife deep carry with an aftermarket clip than it is to do the reverse. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pocket
clip that undoes deep carry. I don’t even know what to call a clip like that.
I explained why for me hiding it in the pocket would be more important, it's the bad location
And even if I would live in the Wild-West I will still be a bit baffled why it sticks that much out of my pocket

I sure like this knife :( too bad it's in S30v, was hoping for XHP when this knife was first announced.
S30V is a good steel, I guess they are testing the market and trying to keep the price down, if it will sell they will come up with a regular production in a more exotic steel they will be calling it sprint run :D

To be fair he never said it was the end of the world or even that it was a deal breaker
No, not a deal breaker, I said is nitpicking, but at 200EUR maybe I should nitpick a little :D

I also noted that he didn’t review at all the knife in hand or cutting with it, which are actually its strong points. Kinda like getting in a Ferrari and reviewing it only sitting in the driveway.
I didn't want you to admire my filthy hands, but now since you requested it :D ...

I'm working in an office and bought many knives with not much to cut unless I want to cut my veins while stuck in traffic :D
And I don't normally cut 1 mile of cardboard just for the sake of it...

Here's some onion :D

gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Man the Brouwer is a looker! My first Spyderco was a Native (1? What's the original called? Native FRN?). The idea of a slimmed Ti framelock Native with a G10 scale in my favorite color is very very appealing. And did I mention how good it looks? Absolutely gorgeous, and it looks like it would be very comfortable in hand too, like the Native.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Didn’t realize this one had a steel lockbar insert. That gives me hope that the Nati Amor one might, too.
Boostergold

Post by Boostergold »

What Spyderco Knife is next to the Brouwer in the picture that only has two knifes in it? Looks like an old dragonfly? Could someone please help? Third picture down.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Boostergold wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 am
What Spyderco Knife is next to the Brouwer in the picture that only has two knifes in it? Looks like an old dragonfly? Could someone please help? Third picture down.

I believe it's the Urban?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Well... the only thing that caught my attention from this review is the picture that shows... once again... why I love the ...k390 Urban so much ;)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
flash900

Post by flash900 »

My Brouwer just arrived and already it's one of my favorite folders.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

There’s a lot to like about the Brouwer which is kind of like a Native with narrower width. The big downside is the $175 price considering a Native5 with G-10 is $146 with S35VN.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
flash900

Post by flash900 »

For my part, the Brouwer is more like a Strider PT with a round Spydie hole and at half the price.
:-)
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Replaced the clip on it, but it has been my favorite spydie this year. Another vote for the Brouwer!