Why we love the steels we love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Why we love the steels we love?

Post by JD Spydo »

Hgwxx7 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:30 am
I'll start it off with VG-10. I love how low-maintenance and reasonably priced it is. It's super forgiving and I don't mind using it till it needs touching up and doing the whole process over again. Takes a great edge and it feels idiot proof, which I like.
Hey don't feel like the "Lone Ranger" because I still really like VG-10 Spyderco blades myself. I use my PE TEMPERANCE 1 model at least 3 to 4 times a week and I have no intention of replacing that blade anytime soon either.

Now as far as one of the supersteels is concerned>> my favorite blade steel that I've actually used a lot so far is my M390 Military. There is something really great about that M390 blade steel and I'm not at all saying that it's the very best blade steel out there >> and I've tried and used S110V, XHP and S90V and still I haven't found one that I find as dependable and endures really hostile cutting jobs like M390 does.

But if there is one out there that does make M390 look inefficient>> then I'm more than open to try another blade steel if it can truly beat out M390.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm a Cruwear tool steel and HSS guy but I even like VG10 and carry my VG10 Endura as often as any other knife. Even with the sprints it still gets time and never lets me down. I've had a bunch of Vg10 knives and they are consistently excellent stainless knives the way Spyderco heat treats them.

I also do enjoy 3V, 4V, and Cruwear variants like PD#1 and Z wear. I also really like O1, W2 and 52100. I'd guess I can say I like the steels that take versatile edge geometries and grit finishes without problems and are easy to deburr . I do believe in tailoring the edge to the job when possible keeping several knives handy with different edges on them to use as needed. Coarse or mirrored depending on what I cut. Now I can do anything I need a folder to do without getting away from my preferred Endura even so things keep getting better the way I see it. I will carry others but always seem to come back to the FRN Endura plain edge in whatever steel needed at the time. Millies, GB, and PM 2 & 3 get the most pocket time after Enduras so how many steel choices can I make when needed?

Joe
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Hgwxx7 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:30 am
Forgive me if this has already been discussed as it's own thread, but I searched "favorite steel" and could not find a thread in the first 10 pages, so here we go.

A lot of times, the steels each get their own thread and for a novice like me it can get overwhelming searching through the pages trying to understand it all.

I know we have a lot of steel junkies on this forum and I'd love to tap into some of that hard earned knowledge in one central thread with a why you love this steel type of discussion.

I'll start it off with VG-10. I love how low-maintenance and reasonably priced it is. It's super forgiving and I don't mind using it till it needs touching up and doing the whole process over again. Takes a great edge and it feels idiot proof, which I like.
Download the Zknives App.

It's like the Pokedex for steel
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Honestly, I get along pretty well with most steels. I recently bought an s90v native 5 and that will probably be the last high vanadium carbide steel I get. I also have all of the blurple g10 s110v models. I like those two steels but sharpening them is eh anymore. Lately hap40 has been my dream steel. I'm late to that party, I know. I love the edges I get on it. Same with CRU Wear. I didn't like sharpening m4 but I miss it. I'll probably have to pick up another blade in it.

Honestly, my favorites are hap40, cru wear, lc200n, vg10, and 1095 just becuase they are joys to sharpen for me. My go to is usually s30v though. Everytime I binge out on a new-to-me steel and go back to s30v, I'm always pleasantly reminded how solid that steel is. Not the best but nowhere near the worst, especially considering cost.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

I like all of them. Haven't really found one steel that I don't care for, which has been a bit of a surprise. There's so much bad information out there, reading about Maxamet or S110V you'd think that they were the spawn of satan himself, worthless for knives and impossible to sharpen but its far from the truth with the right tools and know-how. I like them all, they all have their own niche and upside vs. other steels.
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

I can add HAP40 to the list as well. I always had a fondness for the steel because I remember my Ladybug being hair whittling sharp from the factory, which was the sharpest factory edge I have ever seen (V-Toku Delica may be a close second). Now that I have actually sharpened it, my oh my. I recently acquired a user Dfly that had a chip in it and it came out no problem on the sharpmaker medium rods!

I think sharpening the steels is what makes me feel comfortable with them. I like steels that are forgiving to use and sharpen. Living in an urban environment, my knives aren't put through the paces like they would be in the suburbs or the country. I'm not doing yard work or even breaking down boxes really. Food prep, letter opening, tape removal are the most common tasks these blades see. So, it's when I sharpen them that I really get a feel for the steels.

So far, VG10 and HAP40 have won me over!
Stay Golden :spyder:
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Because of failures with steel I no longer love.
ferider

Post by ferider »

My current favorites are CPM Cru-wear and Rex 45. That 45 is something else ! If you like Spyderco HAP40 and/or Maxamet, do yourself a favor and get a Rex 45 knife, that steel sits nicely in between (harder than HAP40, less maintenance required compared to Maxamet).

Roland.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

at the moment cruwear, hap40, xhp and 204p are at the top of my list
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now with Spyderedges it's a completely different ball game all together. Because some of the better steels for Spyderedges that I like are considered old, antiquated and as outdated as a old ATT phone with a dial on it :rolleyes: But two that I've had exceptional good luck with are ATS-55 and AUS-8 for Spyderedges. I don't know why but those are two that seem to last all day doing food prep jobs.

But for really mean and rugged jobs you can't beat 440V ( S60V). Especially the old C-36 Military and the GOLDEN made Native models in 440V SE.

I'm interested to know what all blade steels you guys have had great luck with in Spyderedge?