Manix2 4v marbled carbon fiber exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Manix2 4v marbled carbon fiber exclusive

Post by steelcity16 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:46 pm
Not FFG?
No Backlock?
$230?

No thank you, I forsee this knife stagnating.

I hate to see a dealer take a leap on faith on 4V and then have to sit on them for months after watching the St Nick's 4V sell out in under an hour, but I fear you are correct. I hope you are wrong though. The better these exclusives do the more we will see. I would definitely buy a FFG Backlock Manix in 4V with the standard peel ply G10 scales.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Wow. It's times like these I can feel grateful I don't much care for the Manix 2-much-jimping... ;)

There are so many Spyderco models and variants in FFG I think it's cool that the ol' hollow grinds resurface now and again
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This one keeps looking nicer the more look at it...dang it...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it were cheaper I'd buy one just to regrind the blade, but that puts it north of $300 after regrind cost. I know some people loved the hollow grind but it's a big step back in my eyes. It doesn't offer a thicker tip so really only the top half of the blade is thicker/stronger and it isn't like the FFG version is underbuilt, it's one of the beefier FFG blades Spyderco offers despite being 3mm vs the more common 4mm offerings.

Like someone else said I just don't get the chosen steel paired with such a fancy/expensive handle...why not put 4V in a lightweight handle or a simple G10 handle with an odd ball color to keep costs down so people who actually want to USE this steel can both afford it and put it to use without throwing money out the window on unnecessary scale costs?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
goonielife

Post by goonielife »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Not FFG?
No Backlock?
$230?

HA, if there is anything remotely stagnant about the sales it will be due to price. I remember sitting on the REC exclusive Para 3 thread when everyone was talking about how ugly it was, now everyone on there is complaining about people hawking them on Ebay for $400.
Every part of this knife is unique and the quantity is low, it will fly.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Maybe it's made for prying doors? Working man knife.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:56 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Not FFG?
No Backlock?
$230?

I hate to see a dealer take a leap on faith on 4V and then have to sit on them for months after watching the St Nick's 4V sell out in under an hour, but I fear you are correct. I hope you are wrong though. The better these exclusives do the more we will see. I would definitely buy a FFG Backlock Manix in 4V with the standard peel ply G10 scales.
Big swing and a miss for me.

Should have been the back lock Manix 2
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wanimator wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:19 pm

~$80 premium (vs S110V price...assuming 4V upgrade is similar to S110V upgrade based on Para 3 sale) for fancy marbled carbon fiber scales that are smooth nonetheless...

working mans knife....

does not compute...
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:59 pm
Wanimator wrote:

~$80 premium (vs S110V price...assuming 4V upgrade is similar to S110V upgrade based on Para 3 sale) for fancy marbled carbon fiber scales that are smooth nonetheless...

working mans knife....

does not compute...
It's exclusive, never before used scales, very unique steel for any company, limited run, unique grind, etc. This is a very unique knife. If it was just a different color and steel, I would agree. I'm not sure I'll be jumping now that I got the Para 3 from St Nick's, but I can't say it wouldn't be worth it. I love the Manix 2.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

The handle shape negates the smooth scales in my opinion. Shouldn't have any problem holding onto this knife. Heck, take a look at the Bushcraft! Now those are smooth scales, and I don't recall too many people saying it should have used peel ply G10 instead :D
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

Where is the Manix 2 XL love? :(
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
ferider

Post by ferider »

I love it ! All of it, smooth scales, ball lock, liner, etc. Plus I only have one hollow grind (GB 2), this will be nice as a complement to the GB. Perfect couple in a way.

Now, I would even be more excited if the would be an XL.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I honestly love the marbled carbon fiber, I don't know much about 4v to really marvel at it.. aside from the fact I rarely see it.

I had to look up the hate of HGG because it is something I've heard multiple times on different forums. Does anyone know what the thickness
of the blade will be? I feel like that this being a tool steal, and a beefinx 2 shouldn't really be an issue to have an HGG. I give them credit for wanting
to do something different. There is a s90v FFG manix out right now, but people hate on it because of the handle...
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:52 am
Lately, I’ve been renewing my love for the Manix2 with my foliage-green XHP version.
I've been doing the same lately! **** I love that knife. I carried it today, as a matter of fact.

This CF Fradon Lock version. I'm going to have to give some thought to.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Cujobob wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:26 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:59 pm
Wanimator wrote:

working mans knife....

does not compute...
It's exclusive, never before used scales, very unique steel for any company, limited run, unique grind, etc. This is a very unique knife. If it was just a different color and steel, I would agree. I'm not sure I'll be jumping now that I got the Para 3 from St Nick's, but I can't say it wouldn't be worth it. I love the Manix 2.

Don't get me wrong, i think it is a great looking knife with awesome steel and materials and very unique, im just saying that I wouldnt call it a working mans knife with an $80 shiny smooth carbon fiber upgrade. Its more of a display piece in my opinion as it does really look phenomenal in those photos. Unfortunately none of my knives are display pieces so i will need to pass on this one as much as I hate to. Will have to hold out hope for an eventual St Nicks 4V Manix to match my inbound Para 3.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

One of my first thoughts now, when I see a new Manix 2 about to drop. Is how heavy is it? Will it have skeletonized liners? I pay closer attention to that now, after having been shocked recently. When I pulled my new Spyderco Manix 2 Burl G10 Sprint C101MGPBRBBK2 Black DLC S90V Blade Black and Brown Burl G10, out of its box. Fully expecting it to be 4.2-ish ounces. I hadn't looked at the weight, on the spec. sheet, prior to purchasing. Though I'm sure I would have bought it anyway.
The Burl, weights in at 4.86 oz.

Here is the Spec list, for the upcoming Spyderco/Fradon Lock Exclusive C101MCFP2 Manix 2 CPM 4V Marble Carbon Fiber Knife.

Specifications:

Closed length: 4.66" (118mm)
Overall length: 8.93" (204mm)
Blade length: 3.37" (86mm)
Edge length: 2.92" (74mm)
Blade thickness: .125" (3.2mm)
Blade hole diameter: .55" (14mm)
Lanyard hole diameter: .25" (6.4mm)
Handle thickness: .47" (11.9mm)
Handle thickness w/clip: .67" (17mm)
Blade steel: CPM 4V
Handle material: Solid marble carbon fiber
Weight: 4.4 oz (125g)
Grind: Hollow sabre
Lock type: Ball bearing
Edge: Plain
Clip: Tip up (right/left ambi)
Origin: United States of America

It appears, that this knife will have skeletonized liners. When looking at its Spec list.

Other G-10 Manix 2 weights:

Blade HQ CPM-M4 Coated = 4.32 oz.
Foliage Green CTS-XHP = 4.27 oz.
Burple S110V = 4.20 oz.
Cruwear Carbon Fiber = 4.11 oz.

So with a base Carbon Fiber weight of 4.11 oz., as we see here in the Cruwear model. Then adding back some blade weight, in this upcoming Mid hollow-ground blade. Which looks like is going to add about 0.29 oz.. I'm guessing that they rounded up the weight to 4.4 oz., and it will actually come in at about 4.38 oz.
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

jabba359 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:32 pm
Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:58 pm
In the past weren't most exclusives 1200 piece runs? what changed?
Those 1200 piece minimums were set by the factories making the runs for Spyderco, so likely the Seki City and Moki plants. In more recent years, for one reason or another, they've been accepting smaller runs (Due to the economy? Changing business practices? Steel suppliers not requiring as large of purchases?), which is why some of the Japan runs have been smaller than we're used to.

In the case of this knife, it is being built by Spyderco's own factory in Golden, so they can set their own minimums since they're not relying on a sub-contractor to build the knives. I'd also guess they were able to meet the minimum steel purchase requirement of 4V while keeping the run small by using it in other knives (such as the St. Nick's Para 3).
Maybe the province is coming soon. Maybe this is left over 4V from that purchase to make that knife.
attila

Post by attila »

GH9000 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:19 pm
jabba359 wrote:
Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
Those 1200 piece minimums were set by the factories making the runs for Spyderco, so likely the Seki City and Moki plants. In more recent years, for one reason or another, they've been accepting smaller runs (Due to the economy? Changing business practices? Steel suppliers not requiring as large of purchases?), which is why some of the Japan runs have been smaller than we're used to.

In the case of this knife, it is being built by Spyderco's own factory in Golden, so they can set their own minimums since they're not relying on a sub-contractor to build the knives. I'd also guess they were able to meet the minimum steel purchase requirement of 4V while keeping the run small by using it in other knives (such as the St. Nick's Para 3).
Maybe the province is coming soon. Maybe this is left over 4V from that purchase to make that knife.
That's not likely, since the stock thickness of the Manix is 0.125" and the Province's is 0.15"

They would have bought different thickness sheets of steel for each model.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

attila wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:04 pm
GH9000 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:19 pm
jabba359 wrote:
Chris_P_Bacon wrote:

That's not likely, since the stock thickness of the Manix is 0.125" and the Province's is 0.15"

Thanks for the clarification. I'm a noobie.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

attila wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Good point on the steel thickness difference. I hadn't considered that the Para 3 runs 0.145" while the Manix 2 is 0.125".
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com