Manix2 4v marbled carbon fiber exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bchan

Re: Manix2 4v marbled carbon fiber exclusive

Post by bchan »

I cannot understand people's complaints about the hollow grind. Given a good steel such as 4V, does the hollow grind really impact the cutting performance in any meaningful way? Not meaning to provoke an argument, just curious.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Popsickle wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:54 pm
Should have been the back lock Manix 2
Agreed, that would have pushed me over the edge. I actually like hollow ground knives a lot, so that is no show stopper, and the marbled CF is really attractive. I am a big fan of the Manix, so this is certainly tempting.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

First time I went through I saw $16.80 in tax (though I'm in CO) canceled it; second time it rang up price as advertised!
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

One of you guys pointed me in the direction of the Manix Lightweight S110V a while back. I took it on a few hikes this summer and just fell in love with it as a hiking knife. I would love to pickup another one someday, but I’m waiting for a lightweight.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Slash wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:34 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:20 am
I think the inventory counters on the website slow sales on these non-PM2, non-Para 3 exclusives. When people see them selling 1 every few minutes instead of 300 in the first 5 minutes, it doesn't trigger that FOMO (fear of missing out) for some people, and it certainly dissuades flippers from buying them. Like it or not, flippers make up a healthy chunk of exclusive sales. If I can literally see that these are going to take months to sell I am not going to buy one to try to flip for double the price.
Yeah, why show current inventory? You either want it or not. If it's available it's available.

Inventory tracker has been removed. Price was lowered day before sale. It looks like someone is reading this thread! :D

If you are out there Fradon Lock folk, I have debated this one over and over and I ultimately decided against it. It is an absolutely stunning knife visually and I LOVE that you used 4V, so I applaud you for that. I just don't personally like smooth scales or carbon fiber. Had it been peel ply G10 I would have grabbed one, even though I would have preferred a full flat grind. I wish you luck on this and future exclusives. I would love to see you do another 4V exclusive, but maybe something with peel ply G10, DLC coating, and a full flat grind. The Military or Native would be a great choice. Or perhaps an FRN Native LW or Manix LW with DLC 4V.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Inventory tracker has been removed. Price was lowered day before sale. It looks like someone is reading this thread! :D

Hmm, I still see the tracker. It just dropped one in the last minute.
Justin
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

crazywednesday wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:02 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

Hmm, I still see the tracker. It just dropped one in the last minute.

Yeah, looks like its back now. Weird. They should remove it.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

bchan wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:36 am
I cannot understand people's complaints about the hollow grind. Given a good steel such as 4V, does the hollow grind really impact the cutting performance in any meaningful way? Not meaning to provoke an argument, just curious.
Agreed. I don't think it's a tragedy that it isn't full-flat grind. The price on the other hand may be the tragedy. $179.95 makes more sense based on the $269.95 MSRP in my opinion.

I'm surprised no one is complaining that it doesn't have a deep-carry wire clip. Ok, I'm joking since this isn't a new model but still...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Ordered. If they are still around for a while, hopefully I can check it out and if I like it, I'll get a back up.

I really like v4e, so I'm hoping this 4V will be good for me too.

I honestly don't think I'll mind the grind. v4e is pretty tough, so I'm not overly concerned with chipping, and I EDC'd the S30V hollow grind for several months without issue (and really liked it). The reason I went to FFG was the s110v, not that it was FFG. I do like FFG, and think I prefer it to HG, but who knows, maybe that's just the steel talking. This should be a good chance to try it out.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

BigGrove wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:11 pm
I'm surprised no one is complaining that it doesn't have a deep-carry wire clip. Ok, I'm joking since this isn't a new model but still...

I admit I laughed at your joke.

I'll probably put a lynch clip on mine.
Slash

Post by Slash »

steelcity16 wrote:
Slash wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:34 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:20 am
I think the inventory counters on the website slow sales on these non-PM2, non-Para 3 exclusives. When people see them selling 1 every few minutes instead of 300 in the first 5 minutes, it doesn't trigger that FOMO (fear of missing out) for some people, and it certainly dissuades flippers from buying them. Like it or not, flippers make up a healthy chunk of exclusive sales. If I can literally see that these are going to take months to sell I am not going to buy one to try to flip for double the price.
Yeah, why show current inventory? You either want it or not. If it's available it's available.

If you are out there Fradon Lock folk, I have debated this one over and over and I ultimately decided against it. It is an absolutely stunning knife visually and I LOVE that you used 4V, so I applaud you for that. I just don't personally like smooth scales or carbon fiber. Had it been peel ply G10 I would have grabbed one, even though I would have preferred a full flat grind. I wish you luck on this and future exclusives. I would love to see you do another 4V exclusive, but maybe something with peel ply G10, DLC coating, and a full flat grind. The Military or Native would be a great choice. Or perhaps an FRN Native LW or Manix LW with DLC 4V.
I'm sure spyderco is willing to accept your $ for a thousand or so knives. What's that saying? Money talks and you know the rest
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

I have been out on the road for the last couple of days and thought a lot about the different types of exclusives that have dropped in the last week.

I bet its really exciting to see your entire lot sell in less than an hour, but also incredibly stressful at the same time. During the actual drop you have so many things that could go wrong either in your control or not. Website going down due to high traffic, payment processing issues, inventory tracking problems, etc... Any of these things pop up and you have people running to forums to discredit your company. Simultaneously you have a ton of things going on which we get no insight into. People cancelling orders, changing billing info, address issues, possible inventory issues from the manufacturer, I am sure im missing a bunch. After the dust settles you have to worry about shipping 450-1000 packages all over the world within a day or 2. I know for myself I getting out 1 item sometimes is a painful experience.

In my opinion its not fair to classify a release that doesn't immediately sell out as a failure. It might be beneficial to smaller companies or ones that dont have the resources to focus all their attention to one sku for it to take a few weeks to work through that inventory.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Also, this is an amazingly beautiful knife that I am most likely going to pick up after some pics and vids get posted to push me over the edge :)
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

Fradon Lock is on Ebay. If you use today's Ebay coupon PICKSOON before 6 PM Pacific time, you can score this knife for $178.47. Search the model number to find the listing. (C101MCFP2)
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

SSD_777 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:35 am
Fradon Lock is on Ebay. If you use today's Ebay coupon PICKSOON before 6 PM Pacific time, you can score this knife for $178.47. Search the model number to find the listing. (C101MCFP2)
There ya go "this knife should be <$200" peeps! I expect pictures and vids soon ;) :)
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Thanks! That’s more like it, I ordered one.
Slash

Post by Slash »

SSD_777 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:35 am
Unless I read something wrong I believe 15 % is only good for up to $100. So, knife would be $195.
Steel a nice deal though.

Correction, just read it again it's max 100 off. Nice
Last edited by Slash on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Justin
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wow great deal!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Slash

Post by Slash »

crazywednesday wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:05 am
Actually, it says max $100 off.

https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/0927/ ... 4280967980
yep, looked at it too fast yesterday. Otherwise I would have bought many items to get up to the $100 mark.
I'm really gonna have to control myself now, so tempting.