1 new Military released all of 2018?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: 1 new Military released all of 2018?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:22 pm
Hey I know what you're trying to get across "ZROW" but if you would do like I did and EDC one of your favorite C-36 Military models and preferably with a Supersteel blade you will very quickly get over what most everyone perceives as a "Size Problem">> ....
I don't know if I'm quite ready to step up to Military just yet, but I will say I recently started carrying the Shaman, and I really really liked it.
*If I did pick up a Mili, I'd probably go for S110V.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:22 pm
... I quickly realized how super handy a larger PE blade can be it wasn't long before I gravitated toward a larger/longer EDC. Now I would feel sort of naked if I didn't have my Millie or C-60 Ayoob in my pocket :cool:
I had to flag this because it is soo true! I used to think the PM was perfect and after the improved version PM2 came out and I got it in my favorite steel, I was all set and could stop buying knives ;) (yeah, right).
I also thought: the military is too big, because I have small hands, and too big because the PM2 took care of my cutting needs...
THEN
I finally got a military and everything changed. Now I have several, in most of my favorite steels (but not 4V... yet), and came to the same realization: that extra blade length REALLY IS very useful, that I could live with a liner lock and not a compression lock (still my favorite, but its a preference, not a deal breaker), that the Mili is one of the most ergonomic folders I have every handled, even with my stubby fingers. That includes opening and closing action, handling during cutting, and the all important usability in cold weather while wearing heavy gloves. And as a bonus, it carries easily despite its length, and is very light (a reason why I dislike Ti framelocks - too heavy, plus harder to unlock.

I really do not need another Mili, but I will buy one in 4V at least. I confess I want a Cruwear Shaman first, though.
Bottom line is, we often ask just for fun (it is just for fun, isn't it ? ;)), if you could only have one folder, what would it be? For me it is the Cruwear Mili.
vivi

Post by vivi »

rgrad80 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:47 pm
Are more and more people trending towards the little knives like the Para 3 and Native and ignoring the full size options? Don’t get me wrong, I like the little fellas too, but I carry a full size knife in addition to a little model of some sort.
Probably this. When is the last time you saw a Police, Manix XL, Chinook etc. sprint?
:unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The PM2 hits the sweet spot for me size wise. But the Military grows on me and I find myself carrying it more often. Entirely legal where I live and I honestly don't notice it versus the PM2 in the clothes I wear. I suppose Spyderco has the data and they know what sells.

I don't own a Para 3 as yet, and am not rushing to get one. I watch all the excitement and feel glad that I am not out there battling for the various sprints and exclusives (and maybe some of you are glad I am not in the game as well). I'll try one someday perhaps. I am spending enough money on knives as it is without being in that game also.

I have had it with frame lock knives -- I plan to just avoid them in the future. Clearly they work fine, but the feel of a liner lock, or better yet a compression lock is much much nicer. I do like the CF/Ti Military I have, but the plain liner lock Military is much smoother.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I have owned many Millies and I always end up selling them. I actually enjoy fidgeting with the liner lock, possibly more than the compression lock. I also enjoy the more negative blade angle over the PM2. Further, it's really nice to have that extra blade length when I need it. I even enjoy it's hearty "thwack" when opening over most other knives.

My main problem is that often times I just need to make a small cut, like a piece of tape, string, zip tie, etc. and when I try to do that with the Millie it just feels unwieldy. I love it for big jobs like cardboard breakdown or outdoor work, but for everyday stuff it's overkill for me.

Until we meet again, Military.
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

^ this. I love the feel mine, but if I'm honest with myself the overwhelming majority of cutting I do anymore is easily done with a small knife, and could arguably be done as well if not better with just scissors. Constantly on the fence of letting it go.
"Seven for One"
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

If it helps at all, I mentioned to Sal in April at the OKCA show how much I really liked the dark gray G10 on the 52100 Manix 2 and asked if could we please see a Military in it.

I very much like the Military model and used to have close to two dozen of the older versions. I’ve sold nearly all of them off except for 3 Ti framelocks carrying a Cruwear, S110V (both blade swaps), and S90V. Definitely looking forward to the Rex 45 sprint (maybe not so much the color), and I might try shooting for a RIT dye job of the handles to try to hit that dark gray. Maybe we will see that 52100 DLC version in 2019? :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

ejames13 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:38 am
Further, it's really nice to have that extra blade length when I need it. I even enjoy it's hearty "thwack" when opening over most other knives.

The “Thwack”...it’s just a sweet sound. It’s like the sound of starting a giant V8 engine or high performance sports car. Probably reason enough to have a Military in the inventory.

I use my keychain knife (currently the little Manbug) for all the tape, string, Amazon boxes, but having the Military in my pocket let’s me know I can tackle any large job too.
The first time my wife saw the Military she said “Jesus, that’s a serious knife!” because it is. No apologies about it.
What I failed to think about is that some people couldn’t carry the Military even if they wanted to because of state laws. That is a shame.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ejames13 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:38 am
My main problem is that often times I just need to make a small cut, like a piece of tape, string, zip tie, etc. and when I try to do that with the Millie it just feels unwieldy. I love it for big jobs like cardboard breakdown or outdoor work, but for everyday stuff it's overkill for me.

It's easier to choke up on a big knife for small tasks than trying to use a small knife for big knife jobs IMO.

Opening a box never feels unweildy for me using this grip.
vivi

Post by vivi »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:54 am
If it helps at all, I mentioned to Sal in April at the OKCA show how much I really liked the dark gray G10 on the 52100 Manix 2 and asked if could we please see a Military in it.

I very much like the Military model and used to have close to two dozen of the older versions. I’ve sold nearly all of them off except for 3 Ti framelocks carrying a Cruwear, S110V (both blade swaps), and S90V. Definitely looking forward to the Rex 45 sprint (maybe not so much the color), and I might try shooting for a RIT dye job of the handles to try to hit that dark gray. Maybe we will see that 52100 DLC version in 2019? :)
I'd love a Manix XL in that same configuration.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I usually carry two folders - one larger, one smaller.
My toolbox has a variety of sizes of screw drivers, wrenches, torx bits... I have a bunch of knives in the kitchen, ranging from small paring to large chef's knives :)
Multiple options is my preferred solution to adapting to different tasks. But I agree with Vivi - if I could only carry one (in a hurry, forgot one at home, etc), I prefer a somewhat longer blade over a shorter one.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Military doesn’t sell as well as ParaMilitary2 or Para3 to justify more Sprint Runs or Exclusives.

Military & Native are my two most favorite Spyderco folders.

In a one year period, between May 2016 and May 2017, we had a whopping 5 new Military models!

We’re definitely due another Military and soon the Rex45 will full that gap quite nicely.
Last edited by RamZar on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:54 am

Drooool...the gray with DLC looks so good. I love my Manix. This is one combo id love to see accross the whole line. Starting with the Military. I love to see them do an updated CQI Cruwear Military with light gray G10 and DLC as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
It's easier to choke up on a big knife for small tasks than trying to use a small knife for big knife jobs IMO.
Absolutely! Love me some large folders.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

It doesn't bother me that other folks don't feel the same pull as I do towards the Military, perhaps that will increase my chances at getting the Rex 45 one, since my preorders on the the other Rex 45 models didn't pan out :).

If the Military sales are slow, you wouldn't know it by looking at my sales order history, I think I have 2 or 3 dozen of them. I always preferred the full Millie over the PM2, though I now own plenty of PM2's and Para 3's as well.

I don't carry them quite as much now as I used to, since my new job is in a pretty security-conscious place with no weapons allowed. I don't consider my bigger knives to be weapons, but can't afford to risk having someone offended by them, so I limit myself to a Squeak or Manbug or similar during the work-week.

But in general, if Spyderco comes out with any new Sprint of the Military, I will probably buy at least 1 or 2 of them. I just can't pass them up. :)
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
FK

Post by FK »

JD Spydo,

I am surprised you did not purchase your BUU from KW, the M390 steel is identical to CTS 204P, which was an exclusive from KW and sold out at about $180 until deplete a few weeks ago.
Introduced in May 2016, it was in inventory for over two years as an exclusive and was one of the first issue with CQI improvements.
I have two in my collection, smoother operation than the earlier design C36 models.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

FK wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:51 pm
Introduced in May 2016, it was in inventory for over two years as an exclusive and was one of the first issue with CQI improvements.
That seems like the most relevant answer as to why there aren't more sprints or exclusives of the military.
FK

Post by FK »

Absolutely,,, first rule of retail sales,,, if it does not move quickly,,,, drop the product.
Holding inventory for a long time is not smart business.

The C36 Military is one of my favorite Spyderco models however, the popularity has dropped off over the past 3-4 years.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Regardless of what guise the new Millie is in, I'll buy it. If it's M4 or 52100 please DLC it! Although I'd prefer a more rust resistant steel.

I regret missing a second KW foliage green in 204P as a user when I had the chance.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:45 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am
Absolutely! Love me some large folders.
100%! And you don’t need XL size hands to do it. Plus how nice is it to actually slice with a large folder? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin