CF para3 S90V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
megawatt

CF para3 S90V

Post by megawatt »

I was just curious about what the forum thinks about this knife combo. With all the different blade combinations to have come out recently and at a much lower price for the para 3, I just don’t hear much about this model. Do people just prefer the S110V over the 90V at $50 lower price? I wanted carbon fiber but didn’t really want the 52100 steel and preferred the maintenance free S90V. For me CF and S90V sounds like a perfect combination so I have one in the mail coming.
Ric

Re: CF para3 S90V

Post by Ric »

I like the combo beside the high prize.
It's also full carbon and not only peel ply.
bacmapei

Post by bacmapei »

I am very partial to this variant as it is (currently) my only Para3. I quickly learned that I would not be able to afford to start collecting and I wanted to try a Para 3 for my EDC, so this was my choice.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

megawatt wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 am
I was just curious about what the forum thinks about this knife combo. With all the different blade combinations to have come out recently and at a much lower price for the para 3, I just don’t hear much about this model. Do people just prefer the S110V over the 90V at $50 lower price? I wanted carbon fiber but didn’t really want the 52100 steel and preferred the maintenance free S90V. For me CF and S90V sounds like a perfect combination so I have one in the mail coming.
Though a different model, If you'd like a knife similar to a Para 3 that has carbon fiber (though peel ply) and not nearly as expensive...you could take a look at the Sage 5. They are similar in size and both have the compression lock. Just a little food for thought.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think you made a fine choice megawatt. It's a little pricey but it also has premium components. Enjoy your new knife! Let us know what you think after you get it.
Ric wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:11 am
I like the combo beside the high prize.
It's also full carbon and not only peel ply.
Just to clarify, yes it is solid CF (not CF/G10 laminate) and, according Spyderco, it does have a subtle peel-ply texture.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -S90V/1117
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

This is a great model. Spyderco did an amazing job on the HT as well. I can tell a difference between s90v and s110v. The s90v seems to take a hair whittling edge easier, and restores easier with stropping in between sharpening sessions, than s110v
It has become one of my favorite steels since acquiring this model. As for the carbon fiber, I think the peel ply texture that Spyderco does is the best in the business. I wasn't a fan until I got my hands on Spyderco cf.
Good choice, you will love it!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I think this is the best one so far (and I have a few). The carbon is really nice and grippy.
But if price was on someone’s mind, I would just get the blurple s110v model. It’s cheaper and has a great steel.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

When this variant was first announced I couldn't wait to buy one. When I finally got mine in hand I was impressed. Such a nice Sprint.
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

I have the CF Para 3 S90V, and also the PM2 CF 52100, yes the steel is quite different but the cutting edge feels almost the same, super sharp grippy edge! I force patinated the 52100, seems to hold back rusting, also the patina is quite beautiful against the CF. I only bring up the 52100 because it feels so much like the S90V in cutting, it also is a bit easier to bring to a hair whittling edge, although the S90V isn't a problem what so ever. I have not decided which I prefer, they are both in my top five knives.
megawatt

Post by megawatt »

Most other knife manufacturers have CF knives with titanium on the lock side and CF on the presentation side. I like this model having CF on both sides.
megawatt

Post by megawatt »

Ahhh ha! So this is peel ply. I received my knife today, a purchase from a forum member and it is beautiful. Kinda strange but the carbon fiber feels cool to the touch as compared to my other para 3’s.

Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

Congrats! Jeez I love this knife! Thanks for posting photo.