Q

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mystery Flavor

Q

Post by Mystery Flavor »

Hey, I've loved Spyderco for quite a while. Recently the Q found its way into my hands for the first time. Ever since then I've become more curious and it also got me researching so many of the other older spyderco models. Thanks to everyone who has helped compile and contribute so much info on this forum and other sites like spydiewiki.

Has Spyderco ever considered re-releasing the old "Q" (model C35) in any variation or formats? It has been about 20 years since most of the Qs were made!

I think it would be cool to use the same style lock and maybe thicken it up so the lock would be stronger. It wouldn't even need to have a cut out blade, just certain aspects could be brought into a totally new Q design. The simple clip design is also so good!

I realize for most people these types of knives are probably more for novelty or to collect, but I can imagine with certain re-designing it could become a much more regular use type of knife.

Of all the letters in the alphabet I am quite sure that "Q" is the single one that has gotten the most attention by far in the last year.

I wonder if there would be enough interest in some new spyderco Q???

Thanks for making so many different and interesting knives Spyderco! :D
sal

Re: Q

Post by sal »

Hi Flavor,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the support.

We'll see what others think of new "Q's"?

sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:11 am

sal
I think you just want more of my money, which I'd be perfectly happy to give you for some more Q's. :D

Side note: The C35 Q was my first Spyderco knife and what got me hooked on Spyderco. Because of the interesting design, which stood out from all the other knives I knew about, I bought it and now, 21 years and 120+ (135? 150?) Spydercos later, and I'm still a fan.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Ric

Post by Ric »

An updated Q with spyder and net would be cool.
PE for me.

Maybe nowadays more modern technic could be used - 3D printed, a bit more rounded/contoured handle, finer details...
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

To be brutally honest, the Q i a flimsy novelty item IMO.. I have one because it is interesting as a collector's piece, but if any of the "letter Spydies" deserve a re-run, the R and S are 100 x better.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I'd prefer a C67 R over the Q or S. The sprint from 2012 was quite handsome.

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Robbob wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:03 am

This x1000.

Most under appreciated model, mostly because it’s always been limited.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've always wanted to add one of the 'web' knives to my collection. A sprint in a modern steel would be really neat!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I love the blade on the Q , R and S. I’d absolutely love a Q with a more sturdy handle. I think this knife appeals to people that are not even necessarily fans of Spyderco knives just based off of looks which is a good thing. I often get compliments when I post any of these knives in groups that welcome a variety of different brands.

Rich
Think for yourself
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Robbob wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:03 am
I would 1000% agree with that but only if they replicated the original skeletonized R model. None of this plain blade, second generation stuff anymore for me. The original skeletonized, Spyderedged "R" model was a really elegant, high tech piece and was eons better than the Q IMO. Oh I kind of liked the original Q but I do agree with the one brother that it was more or less a novelty collector piece>> but the "R" model was truly a serious knife through and through.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

All I can say is that I broke down tons of cardboard at my job in 1997-98 with my Q and it never let me down. Maybe it was because I was coming from $10-15 knives at that time, so I was used to less than stellar build quality, but it never crossed my mind that I couldn't use it for all my needs. I know that it's not as solidly constructed as we're used to, however it's still a very capable knife and certainly not just a novelty. That said, I'd expect structural improvements if we got a new Q, maybe something closer to the S for handle construction, but with a blade cutout design more like the Q (I never did care too much for the plain web design on the S).
-Kyle

Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

sal wrote:
Hi Flavor,

sal
Thanks so much for the welcome, Sal! It's so great that you interact with the online community as much as you do!

On the spydiewiki it says 36,000+ Q's were made! It's hard to fathom that many Q's. I'm very surprised there aren't a whole lot more for sale currently if so many were made. Does that seem strange to anyone else? Or maybe I'm just underestimating the amount of Q collectors/hoarders that exist out there. haha :D
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Please make a new Q or an R. As a new collector I'd love a chance at getting one new
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Mystery Flavor wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:54 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Flavor,

sal
Thanks so much for the welcome, Sal! It's so great that you interact with the online community as much as you do!

On the spydiewiki it says 36,000+ Q's were made! It's hard to fathom that many Q's. I'm very surprised there aren't a whole lot more for sale currently if so many were made. Does that seem strange to anyone else? Or maybe I'm just underestimating the amount of Q collectors/hoarders that exist out there. haha :D
I'd guess half of those broke early.. :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Kyle8734

Post by Kyle8734 »

Would definitely love to see a new Q be made. My girlfriend would want one as well because it is a model I have showed her pics of that she definitely likes.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd buy a CQI-treated Q, with metal, or at least sturdier frn/G10 handle.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yes! I would love you to see a rebirth of the Q. The Q was one of my first Spyderco purchases and has always been a favorite model of mine. With today’s technology, I would think a similarly skeletonized G-10 handle might be a possibility (depending on cost of production, of course). The original Qs are a great collectors’ piece, but it would be awesome to have a new Q that is meant to use and enjoy. Maybe this would make for the perfect 45th year Spyderco Anniversary model?

Welcome aboard, Mystery Flavor!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sal

Post by sal »

That number seems high to me. (36,000)

sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 am
That number seems high to me. (36,000)

sal
That seems really high for a model that was in production less than four years, especially when Spyderco wasn't as well known then as it is today. But if you think that's a high number, I've seen approximately 62,000 as the number made, with a list from Barry Carithers (for his research done for a Dec. 2003 Knife World article about the Q) cited as the source. That seems astonishingly high, almost as if an extra zero snuck in there.

I've also thought the numbers for the flag cutout (3600) and eagle (3900) seemed high as well, considering how infrequently they tend to show up on the aftermarket.

If you have a better number in mind, I'd certainly be happy to update those quantities. ;)
-Kyle

sal

Post by sal »

That was a long time ago and we would have to try to do some research, info might not be available. Most of the people at the top involved in the project have passed.

sal