Q

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: Q

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 am
That number seems high to me. (36,000)

sal

Sal, It may sound high. It may even be high. But it may also be quite low. The closest thing to complete list of the Q variants we collectors have to go by is the article Barry Carithers did for Knife World magazine back in December, 2003 that another member here (Spyderwa) was given permission to republish here. According to that list, 36,000 would be only a bit more than half the 62,000 combined total number of 1st and 2nd generation "Spyderco bug" Q's that were produced and does not even include any of the 59 other blade cutout designs that were made in smaller quantities ranging from 10 pieces to 3,900 pieces. I know that list is not completely accurate, as I own at least one (T&T Gunnery) and know of at least one other that do not appear on it, but it's the only reference we have to go by.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Paul,

It may be true? Barry worked for Spyderco. He was Peter's assistant. All of his info came from us. I don't have a figure. I'm trying to get some info. You'd think that someone would have kept these figure. I guess it's my bad for not?

sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Meh. Before the age of ubiquitous emails and infinite storage if you didn’t need info you just got rid of it. Honestly I think the foggy history of some of these old models is part of the fun. Uncovering the story and learning unexpected tidbits allows people to share finding and discuss.
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:57 am
To be brutally honest, the Q i a flimsy novelty item IMO.. I have one because it is interesting as a collector's piece, but if any of the "letter Spydies" deserve a re-run, the R and S are 100 x better.
I'm also interested in a re-release of the "R" and "S", but I'm mostly interested in "Q". Maybe they could come up with a new model called "QRS" and combine all 3 somehow. :p

I would have bought an "R" with the solid blade already if they were easier to find for a decent price... I can understand why a lot of people suggest it. If it's ever re-released, how about in K390?
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

SpyderNut wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 am
Yes! I would love you to see a rebirth of the Q. The Q was one of my first Spyderco purchases and has always been a favorite model of mine. With today’s technology, I would think a similarly skeletonized G-10 handle might be a possibility (depending on cost of production, of course). The original Qs are a great collectors’ piece, but it would be awesome to have a new Q that is meant to use and enjoy. Maybe this would make for the perfect 45th year Spyderco Anniversary model?

Welcome aboard, Mystery Flavor!
Thanks for the welcome. :) I really like your idea for a new Q to be released for the 45th anniversary! And it's cool to know others would like a Q that is designed for harder use.

I was also thinking of skeletonized G10 for the handles. Or even titanium, but that would end up costing too much probably.

Imagine a new Q with that layered multi-colored G10, like is on the Caribbean, but machined into some kind of web or cut-out pattern. All the exposed edges of the G10 from skeletonizing it would reveal all the layers of colors. If done well that could look so detailed and beautiful, and still be strong. And it could be most any color combos of G10, since that stuff comes in many color patterns. That would go along with the theme of a fun and quirky knife that the Q has been.

Even plain black G10 or anything else would be good, as long as it is strong.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I really like the skeletonized aspect of this series.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
KJKeyserSoze

Post by KJKeyserSoze »

Hello everyone,

For the first time I decided to take apart my Q 35SBK PRCA that I got new since the 90's. And thanks to all the infomation here and various site, I realised that I don't find bushings (or washers) in my Q. Is that normal ?

I don't think I can find videos of Q being taken apart, so I am asking here.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

it would be awesome if they redid the R or the S. i dont like backlocks but i do think i would want to try an R model, same for a calypso jr. even tho i doubt i will ever get to try them.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

KJKeyserSoze wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:30 pm
Hello everyone,

For the first time I decided to take apart my Q 35SBK PRCA that I got new since the 90's. And thanks to all the infomation here and various site, I realised that I don't find bushings (or washers) in my Q. Is that normal ?

Perfectly normal. Few, if any, of Spyderco's unlined FRN models had washers. What you probably will see, if you look at the pivot area inside your Q's handle, are raised circular areas in the FRN itself surrounding the pivot hole. Most unlined FRN Spyderco handles have some version of them and they serve as "built in" pivot washers. If you think about it, that makes sense. Nylon washers are sometimes used in knives, so adding washers to a nylon handle would be somewhat redundant.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

+1 vote for bringing back a Q.
KJKeyserSoze

Post by KJKeyserSoze »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:10 am
KJKeyserSoze wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:30 pm
Hello everyone,

Perfectly normal. Few, if any, of Spyderco's unlined FRN models had washers. What you probably will see, if you look at the pivot area inside your Q's handle, are raised circular areas in the FRN itself surrounding the pivot hole. Most unlined FRN Spyderco handles have some version of them and they serve as "built in" pivot washers. If you think about it, that makes sense. Nylon washers are sometimes used in knives, so adding washers to a nylon handle would be somewhat redundant.
cool, got it.

simple design just works.
sal

Post by sal »

The "Q" was my idea and project. It did present its' challenges. I designed the knife, the clip and the lock, which were all unique. I don't know that we could do it the same today?

FYI, the concept of the clip and lock was based on a clip design used by Wichard. ( opposing forces in the bend ). We used the same concept for our Snap-It. We contacted Wichard and asked them if we could use their basic concept and what would the fee be for the patent royalties. They said that it had been knocked off by so many companies, that thank you for asking, but you should just go ahead and use it.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

The S was the new Q and it was pretty sweet as a small knife with a compression lock.

Maybe we need to try to discus why the S didn't do well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:15 pm
The "Q" was my idea and project. It did present its' challenges. I designed the knife, the clip and the lock, which were all unique. I don't know that we could do it the same today?
Would CQI dictate improvements/changes? If so, what would they be? Was the wire clip on the 'Q' the beginning of innovation of the wire clip? It does appear that the patent drawing is more Dragonfly like than 'Q'.

https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=053 ... /5,379,492

brian
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Brian.

So much of our history of innovation is held in the minds of those, like Brian and Paul, that noticed us early on. Yes, it would be nice to have all of this captured on paper. Time being elusive, especially when one gets older and the earth turns faster so time is harder to catch and use.

Jim Phillips was planning on writing a complete history of Spyderco. He was a friend, writer and publisher. Unfortunately Jim passed recently.

Everyone is born with a little "bag of time". It has a hole in the bottom so time is always spilling out. One day the bag is empty. One needs to appreciate each moment of the life-time that we get. That was the basis of the company, "Happy Thoughts" that Gail and I have been trying to get launched for the past 20+ years.

The Happy Thoughts" coffee mug illustrates this with the "Happy Brain". Mike Janich took some photos of the mug, Maybe we can figure out how to show it. You can see the "Happy Brain" here http://www.happythoughts.com/ Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Robbob wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:03 am
I'd prefer a C67 R over the Q or S. The sprint from 2012 was quite handsome.
I can totally agree with that statement but with one condition>> I don't like any of the newer solid handled "R" models. I like the original skeletonized handled unit with the ATS-34 blade. That to me is the REAL "R" model.

I always thought that the "R" model was the highly refined version of the "Q".
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

I love the R2 that Sal sent to me and I posted a review back in 2011.

https://www.countryknives.com/c67-rs-review/

I have been recently carrying it again as my EDC to torture test the flat ground VG10 blade. I have grown even more impressed by VG10 as a result. It holds a great edge and takes a razor edge rather quickly, especially as I sharpen at 15° and then micro-bevel at 20. If I were to make a straight razor in stainless VG10 would be the steel.

brian