Spydie Talk: Q&A, random info, knife chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: Spydie Talk: Q&A, random info, knife chat

Post by knivesandbooks »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:11 am
SF Native wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 am
After cutting sheet rock, fiberglass insulation, wood shims, and other construction materials the last few weeks, I think the s110v models are under rated. I like vg10, but it died a quick death. I’m more a fan of s110v everyday. Considering you can get a ukpk for $90 or a lightweight manix (or native) for about $125, thoseare a screaming deal.
I agree. Although it can be annoying that the screaming sharp edge vanishes quickly, s110v is great for those times when you don't have any sharpening equipment nearby.

What causes sXXXv steels to lose their insanely high sharpness so quickly? Obviously the steel matrix is nothing compared to the vanadium carbides, in terms of hardness and wear resistance.... but why do many other steels tend to hold a hair whittling edge longer?
I always thought it was the carbon content, but absolutely do not quote me on that. I've just noticed steels like m4 and k390 have kept their super sharp edge longer. I used an m4 contigo for a week processing a ton of cardboard at my ild job and by the end of the week it would still shave arm hair. Even ye old 1095 holds it's super sharp edge a fair bit (when thin). But when it is gone it is all gone.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:43 am
Pelagic wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:11 am
SF Native wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 am
After cutting sheet rock, fiberglass insulation, wood shims, and other construction materials the last few weeks, I think the s110v models are under rated. I like vg10, but it died a quick death. I’m more a fan of s110v everyday. Considering you can get a ukpk for $90 or a lightweight manix (or native) for about $125, thoseare a screaming deal.
I agree. Although it can be annoying that the screaming sharp edge vanishes quickly, s110v is great for those times when you don't have any sharpening equipment nearby.

What causes sXXXv steels to lose their insanely high sharpness so quickly? Obviously the steel matrix is nothing compared to the vanadium carbides, in terms of hardness and wear resistance.... but why do many other steels tend to hold a hair whittling edge longer?
I always thought it was the carbon content, but absolutely do not quote me on that. I've just noticed steels like m4 and k390 have kept their super sharp edge longer. I used an m4 contigo for a week processing a ton of cardboard at my ild job and by the end of the week it would still shave arm hair. Even ye old 1095 holds it's super sharp edge a fair bit (when thin). But when it is gone it is all gone.
I would think it has something to do with the ratio of chromium carbide to free chromium innthe matrix. Just a guess. I'd like to know.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:30 pm
https://youtu.be/yPYjRTJmjTg

Wow....
Lol he says "I have no idea how to sharpen this"
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

This solves it. s110v is indeed chippy. I had to change my Military to a Milendura, and soon my pm2 will be a Paramiladura. With the Military, I was simply stripping some wires when installing new license plate lights in my truck. No idea how the tip got destroyed. On the para, i was trying to stab through a black walnut. I used my cold steel AK-47 in 3v to finish the job, which laughs at every task i throw at it. These are great work knives, but ****, the design of these tips along with s110v certainly require you to baby the knife. I am constantly conscious of the limitations of these knives and try my best to use them responsibly. The combination of this blade design and this steel, IMHO, is officially a recipe for a broken tip.

Sal, don't think that the latest 4v model selling out was a fluke. We want tough steels. The people have spoken. Bring it on, they'll sell out.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Fortunately, the shaman seems to have a much sturdier tip...

https://streamable.com/pu3bp

obviously not something that qualifies as even hard use (do not try this at home), but it's nice to see that it can take something that the PM2 and others of similar tip geometry cannot.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:04 pm

obviously not something that qualifies as even hard use (do not try this at home), but it's nice to see that it can take something that the PM2 and others of similar tip geometry cannot.

Great to see this. I haven't had the chance to handle a Shaman yet, but I am excited to try one once we see one in Cruwear, 4V, Rex45, etc. Looks like it will be a great knife for me as my Natives are my favorite EDC knives, but I do enjoy bigger knives for bigger tasks.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:14 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Great to see this. I haven't had the chance to handle a Shaman yet, but I am excited to try one once we see one in Cruwear, 4V, Rex45, etc. Looks like it will be a great knife for me as my Natives are my favorite EDC knives, but I do enjoy bigger knives for bigger tasks.
and that's in (obviously) the base S30v. While I'd never use my Shaman to pry or do anything but cut, I feel the Shaman represents a significant change in design. This kind of tip strength is on purpose, and it'll only improve with tougher steels.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 am
Sal, don't think that the latest 4v model selling out was a fluke. We want tough steels. The people have spoken. Bring it on, they'll sell out.

+1 A run of sprints in the bigger and/or stouter knives like the Manix XL, Manix Backlock, Shaman, Native and Military in 3V, 4V, or V4E is in order for 2019. Maybe a shade of brown (desert tan, coyote, dark brown, etc) with half stonewash and half DLC?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I didn't try to pry at all with my para 2 s110v. Just stab straight through the walnut. Boom, tip gone.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I was very happy to see the fine, needle-sharp tip on my Para Military 2. I plan to use it as designed and understanding its advantages and limitations.

In my opinion, using a Para Military 2 to “stab” into hard wood, ignoring the possibility that it might damage the tip is to ignore the knife’s limitations. There are certainly more appropriate tools for that.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:51 pm
I was very happy to see the fine, needle-sharp tip on my Para Military 2. I plan to use it as designed and understanding its advantages and limitations.

In my opinion, using a Para Military 2 to “stab” into hard wood, ignoring the possibility that it might damage the tip is to ignore the knife’s limitations. There are certainly more appropriate tools for that.
It was a walnut. I had no intention of introducing lateral pressure, and I don't think there was any significant lateral pressure. This knife is 2 weeks old. The military was 4 months old when it lost it's tip. I've been using knives heavily for over 20 years. While i love the design, an acute tip begs for a tougher steel for regular use. I use knives responsibly. This is a weak point.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:00 pm
MichaelScott wrote:

It was a walnut. I had no intention of introducing lateral pressure, and I don't think there was any significant lateral pressure. This knife is 2 weeks old. The military was 4 months old when it lost it's tip. I've been using knives heavily for over 20 years. While i love the design, an acute tip begs for a tougher steel for regular use. I use knives responsibly. This is a weak point.
Been using Militarys the last 18ish years and I've only lost a tiny bit of the tip when one (BG42) fell and stuck tip first at an angle in our oak kitchen floor. Love the acute tip, but I'm aware that it is a weak point in some use.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:00 pm
MichaelScott wrote:

Yeah, I get nervous with the tips on the Military and PM2. I try to avoid stabbing or torquing it at all costs. The Worker is a knife with a GREAT tip for that kind of stuff. I really wish they made a Worker LW in FRN with some cruwear-like steel (SRS-15?) and a Worker LW Salt in H1 PE and SE. Those would be great little backup knives to handle those stabby tasks.
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:

I'd have to disagree. I've stabbed Para's, Centofantes, Opinels, Millies, Police 3's and many other fine tipped knives into wood with no ill effect. If you go straight into it, it does not put much stress pn the blade at all.

Walnuts are a different story. Being round it's likely to deflect the energy at an angle, which is tough on the tip.

I'd never hesitate to use a Para 2 to stab into wood, cardboard, honey dew, rolls of carpet etc.
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

My plan was to stab into the walnut some then rotate the blade in order to slice it in half. The knife did split the walnut in half (and stabbed into the trunk of the walnut tree - I was using a reverse grip), but that's when I found the tip to be M.I.A. This has only happened (to me) with s110v.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:24 am
My plan was to stab into the walnut some then rotate the blade in order to slice it in half. The knife did split the walnut in half (and stabbed into the trunk of the walnut tree - I was using a reverse grip), but that's when I found the tip to be M.I.A. This has only happened (to me) with s110v.
I’m not understanding. Did you stab into a walnut and tree at the same time, or stab the walnut then the tree?

Do you know if the tip broke in the walnut or the tree?

Confused,
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:57 am
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:24 am
I’m not understanding. Did you stab into a walnut and tree at the same time, or stab the walnut then the tree?

Do you know if the tip broke in the walnut or the tree?

Confused,
The tip was already slightly embedded into the walnut. I stabbed it info the tree to push the knife farther info the walnut.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
ferider

Post by ferider »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 am
Speaking of which, when can we get the revised 2017+ version of the Military in CPM Cru-wear, please ?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The paramilendura in all its glory. Didn't lose much cutting edge, and now I have a stronger tip.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?