Spydie Talk: Q&A, random info, knife chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Spydie Talk: Q&A, random info, knife chat

Post by JD Spydo »

The Gunting model also had a Compression lock. I believe it might have been either the very first or one of the first to ever have a compression lock.
Boy those are getting about as rare as a drop-dead gorgeous blind date :D

Hey there is no question that is too in-significant to put up for conversation. I can assure you that there are always probably at least a half a dozen people that also have that one item on their mind.

You can also check the conversation over at Bladeforums.com because they have a sub-forum over there and even Sal himself hangs out there quite a bit.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Although several spyderco models are capable of harder use, they are works of art compared to most cold steel models. I just don't feel bad about scuffing up or "beating" on my Recon 1. In contrast I'd be upset if something happened to one of my spyderco's, lol.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

In an effort not to derail another thread.....
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 am
I have a considerable library of YouTube videos showing the limits of Maxamet and s110v Spyderco knives.
What angle was your s110v pm2 sharpened at when you hammered it through that penny with minimal edge damage?
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:50 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
I have a considerable library of YouTube videos showing the limits of Maxamet and s110v Spyderco knives.
What angle was your s110v pm2 sharpened at when you hammered it through that penny with minimal edge damage?
I followed the factory geometry on the stones, I believe it was Sharpened on the work sharp diamond plates, white ceramic deburr, green chromium oxide stropping.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
blues

Post by blues »

I remember being in the Montana workshop of my late friend Rob Simonich when he took a Talonite knife he gifted me and hammered it through a penny. (No issues at all). I just looked at him like why would you do that to a perfectly new and good knife. :p
- Retired from the chase -
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I believe the most underrated Spydie might be the Manix 2 LW in BD 1. Light, strong, true one handed open and close, easy to maintain. It’s light as a small knife has that long slicey cutting edge but doesn’t have the fans that the Millie and PM 2 have. BD 1 if you haven’t tried it is excellent. I bought mine based on price and not knowing much about Spyderco. I have strayed from Spyderco territory rarely since. ( I needed the Chris Reeve Inkosi, I really did. )
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:42 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:50 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
I followed the factory geometry on the stones, I believe it was Sharpened on the work sharp diamond plates, white ceramic deburr, green chromium oxide stropping.
Amazing. Factory edges are about 35-40 degrees inclusive, correct?
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Why is the logo on the Polestar and Alcyone incorrect? The spider head is shaped wrong and missing the triangle cutout.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I know this is blasphemous and I will have my head put on a spike, but I could take or leave the compression lock, with one exception. Don't get me wrong, it is a simple yet brilliant design that I believe is one of the strongest locks ever created, but it doesn't seem to suit me. The exception to this feeling lies in one of Spyderco's classics.... the ATR. This compression frame-lock is one of a kind and I would love to see it on a revamped Millie should Sal ever decide to sway from the WLL.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:29 pm
I know this is blasphemous and I will have my head put on a spike, but I could take or leave the compression lock, with one exception. Don't get me wrong, it is a simple yet brilliant design that I believe is one of the strongest locks ever created, but it doesn't seem to suit me. The exception to this feeling lies in one of Spyderco's classics.... the ATR. This compression frame-lock is one of a kind and I would love to see it on a revamped Millie should Sal ever decide to sway from the WLL.
If they made all of the R.I.L. knives with the C.I.L. like the ATR, I would be divorced and homeless... But, I would have some awesome knives!!!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Accutron wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:02 pm
Why is the logo on the Polestar and Alcyone incorrect? The spider head is shaped wrong and missing the triangle cutout.

I'm by no means an expert but the only time I've seen misshapen Spyderco logos are on counterfeit knives and boxes. I hope someone with a little more knowledge on the subject will chime in.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Strange... The screws look authentic. Fakes normally have a clean cut from the head to the torx groove. These have the slight indention that funnels your torx bit into the groove.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:23 pm
Strange... The screws look authentic. Fakes normally have a clean cut from the head to the torx groove. These have the slight indention that funnels your torx bit into the groove.
It's definitely authentic. Those pics are cropped from the Alcyone product photo on Knifecenter, and my Polestar bought new from BHQ has the same incorrect logo.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I've had a few questions for some time but didn't think they were thread worthy or just may have thought it had been common Spyderland knowledge. So here goes:

1. What's Sal's favorite or most carried knife?
2. What's Eric's favorite or most carried knife?
3. Does Sal or Eric have a favorite steel, if so what?
4. Reasons why they're your favorite?

Hope this isn't like which child do you love most type of thing. :D

Thanks,
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

hmm, I'll have to look at my polestar when I get home. It won't be here very long, it's a birthday gift!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

After cutting sheet rock, fiberglass insulation, wood shims, and other construction materials the last few weeks, I think the s110v models are under rated. I like vg10, but it died a quick death. I’m more a fan of s110v everyday. Considering you can get a ukpk for $90 or a lightweight manix (or native) for about $125, thoseare a screaming deal.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Couple questions for Sal or Kristi -

Is it safe to assume there will be another Factory Seconds Sale this year? If yes, will it be the same date as in the past?

Looking to get travel plans made as soon as possible! :cool: :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

SF Native wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 am
After cutting sheet rock, fiberglass insulation, wood shims, and other construction materials the last few weeks, I think the s110v models are under rated. I like vg10, but it died a quick death. I’m more a fan of s110v everyday. Considering you can get a ukpk for $90 or a lightweight manix (or native) for about $125, thoseare a screaming deal.
I agree. Although it can be annoying that the screaming sharp edge vanishes quickly, s110v is great for those times when you don't have any sharpening equipment nearby.

What causes sXXXv steels to lose their insanely high sharpness so quickly? Obviously the steel matrix is nothing compared to the vanadium carbides, in terms of hardness and wear resistance.... but why do many other steels tend to hold a hair whittling edge longer?
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

So I just picked up a Lansky diamond set for lols and gotta say they rip through M4 got a great edge on my para 3 now dispite spydercos wildly uneven bevel
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:45 pm
So I just picked up a Lansky diamond set for lols and gotta say they rip through M4 got a great edge on my para 3 now dispite spydercos wildly uneven bevel
Lol m4 almost gives you a fantastic edge for free. What an excellent steel. Jealous of your recent acquisition!
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?