Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Larrin
Member
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 9:27 am
Contact:

Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby Larrin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:20 am

In this article I cover the basics of nitrogen-alloyed knife steels, such as:

How is nitrogen added to the steel?
What does nitrogen do to steel?
How does nitrogen improve corrosion resistance?
Which nitrogen steel has the best properties?

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/09/17/ ... fe-steels/
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives

Sjucaveman
Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:00 pm
Location: Central Mn

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby Sjucaveman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:45 am

Delete please.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam

User avatar
Larrin
Member
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby Larrin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:08 am

Sjucaveman wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:45 am
Delete please.
Too late. Your original post will never be forgotten. The internet is forever. :p
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives

User avatar
Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1211
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby Deadboxhero » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:57 am

This is my favorite one yet. I've been playing with Vanax, Nitrobe77, BD1N and LC220N and this article has really captured my imagination. It's so crazy that they Nitride the powder. Brilliant!

I'd like to see some testing with Vancron 40 in a knife. Since its unique in that its closer to an A11 class steel but with nitrogen.

I think that we really haven't seen the full potential of Nitrogen steels.
I'd like to see more steels that aren't focused on substitution of carbon for making the most corrosion resistant knives. I the feel focus made on taking nitrogen steels to the next level of edge performance with increased carbon and alloy.

The potential is something that cuts as long as s110v, but sharpens like VG10, and with the toughness and stain resistance of s35vn.

Nitrogen steels need to move away from trying to be super duper stainless to find the maxamium cutting performance.

Maybe in the next 10 years. No one currently seems to be putting ANY effort towards that.
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5352
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby Sharp Guy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 am

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:57 am
The potential is something that cuts as long as s110v, but sharpens like VG10, and with the toughness and stain resistance of s35vn.
Imagine that! That would be amazing!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1211
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby Deadboxhero » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:26 am

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:57 am
The potential is something that cuts as long as s110v, but sharpens like VG10, and with the toughness and stain resistance of s35vn.
Imagine that! That would be amazing!
Yes, possiblites yet to be explored.

I feel very "moved" by this article.

It's time to get some Vancron 40 to test.

I don't think that Vancron 40 is the most ideal, but it could shed some light on the possiblites of nitrogen steel that is more focused on cutting performance over being absolutely stainless with cutting performance as an added bonus or after thought, I'd like to see it the other way around to take advantage of the facinating properties of high Nitrogen, high alloy, high carbon.
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

ThePeacent
Member
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby ThePeacent » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:06 pm

very interesting read, Larrin, thanks! :cool:

I am really looking forward to the H1 article that you hint at the end, as it's my favorite steel and I've read as much as I have found about it.
But you always manage to shed new information and unknown things about the "usual suspects" of the cutlery steels committee, so I'm sure you'll surprise us again :p

User avatar
Larrin
Member
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby Larrin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 pm

There are many surprises about H1 remaining. :)
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17983
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:59 pm

I'm getting more and more convinced that these Nitrogen based blade steels are going to be playing a big role in the future of knife manufacturing>> and it's probably not too far off either.

Now I will admit that I really don't like H-1 in Plain Edge>> but in Spyderedge it's been a nice tool to have. I still haven't gotten to try LC200N in SE yet but I'm looking forward to it.

User avatar
Stuart Ackerman
Member
Posts: 1849
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:39 pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby Stuart Ackerman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm

I have used N680, and I was impressed. But it can only be had in round bar and I forged it to a flat and then annealed it and ground it to three knives. Finished one and the other two are waiting to be ground to shape.
Sharpens like SAK steel, but holds an edge slightly better than 440C at 58HRC.
Very stain resistant in salt water, but I clean it after each each saltwater use.

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:14 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:59 pm
I'm getting more and more convinced that these Nitrogen based blade steels are going to be playing a big role in the future of knife manufacturing>> and it's probably not too far off either.

Now I will admit that I really don't like H-1 in Plain Edge>> but in Spyderedge it's been a nice tool to have. I still haven't gotten to try LC200N in SE yet but I'm looking forward to it.
Totally with you on that, JD!

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17983
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm
I have used N680, and I was impressed. But it can only be had in round bar and I forged it to a flat and then annealed it and ground it to three knives. Finished one and the other two are waiting to be ground to shape.
Sharpens like SAK steel, but holds an edge slightly better than 440C at 58HRC.
Very stain resistant in salt water, but I clean it after each each saltwater use.
That's very interesting Stuart >> I'm now wanting to try a blade made with N680. I bet it would make a great fillet knife or probably would be great for Spyderco to use in their K-04 & K-05 kitchen knives in their lineup that currently use MBS-26. With the extra corrosion resistance it would probably be the logical choice for a kitchen/culinary blade IMO.

snapshot2017
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:33 am

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby snapshot2017 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:16 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:19 pm
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm
I have used N680, and I was impressed. But it can only be had in round bar and I forged it to a flat and then annealed it and ground it to three knives. Finished one and the other two are waiting to be ground to shape.
Sharpens like SAK steel, but holds an edge slightly better than 440C at 58HRC.
Very stain resistant in salt water, but I clean it after each each saltwater use.
That's very interesting Stuart >> I'm now wanting to try a blade made with N680. I bet it would make a great fillet knife or probably would be great for Spyderco to use in their K-04 & K-05 kitchen knives in their lineup that currently use MBS-26. With the extra corrosion resistance it would probably be the logical choice for a kitchen/culinary blade IMO.
Benchmade uses N680 in their Triage first responder and rescue knife.

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 pm

I really am learning alot from this article and I like nitrogen stainless knife steel alloys.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17983
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:39 pm

snapshot2017 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:16 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:19 pm
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm
I have used N680, and I was impressed. But it can only be had in round bar and I forged it to a flat and then annealed it and ground it to three knives. Finished one and the other two are waiting to be ground to shape.
Sharpens like SAK steel, but holds an edge slightly better than 440C at 58HRC.
Very stain resistant in salt water, but I clean it after each each saltwater use.
That's very interesting Stuart >> I'm now wanting to try a blade made with N680. I bet it would make a great fillet knife or probably would be great for Spyderco to use in their K-04 & K-05 kitchen knives in their lineup that currently use MBS-26. With the extra corrosion resistance it would probably be the logical choice for a kitchen/culinary blade IMO.
Benchmade uses N680 in their Triage first responder and rescue knife.
I will check them out but I would much rather see the Great Spyder Factory come up with some new blades made with this N680. There are so many great new blade steels coming down the pipeline to the point to where I'm getting extremely picky about which Spyders I get anymore. But this N680 is one that I would like to see on maybe an outdoor blade or a fillet knife or a kitchen knife. It sounds like a blade steel I would end up using a lot. I'm also already wondering what it might be like in Spyderedge?

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby Pelagic » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Sign me up for high hardness, high corrosion resistance, and any bit of toughness that can be squeezed out!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby curlyhairedboy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:01 am

Larrin wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 pm
There are many surprises about H1 remaining. :)
good to hear!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, Ouroboros, 4V Shaman, Watu
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native
Would like to own again: Sheepsfoot Caribbean
Wishlist: CQI Kapara, Tanto PM2, Shaman Sprints!

SF Native
Member
Posts: 1431
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am
Location: Fairfax, Ca

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby SF Native » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:57 am

Finally got around to reading this. Excellent stuff Larrin. Looking forward to the H1 article.

User avatar
Larrin
Member
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby Larrin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Glad you liked it!
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 8738
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Nitrogen-Alloyed Knife Steels

Postby Doc Dan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:46 am

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm
I have used N680, and I was impressed. But it can only be had in round bar and I forged it to a flat and then annealed it and ground it to three knives. Finished one and the other two are waiting to be ground to shape.
Sharpens like SAK steel, but holds an edge slightly better than 440C at 58HRC.
Very stain resistant in salt water, but I clean it after each each saltwater use.
I have a couple of folders in this steel that I use for salt water activities. I agree with your findings about sharpening and edge retention completely. I have stayed in the ocean for 8 hours at a time with the knife in the water, and I have never had even a spot of discoloration. I have never been in a hurry to rinse my knife off, either.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], fixall, Google [Bot], kennethsime, Ratamaque, w3tnz and 25 guests