Emergency go to, hurricane others

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

Emergency go to, hurricane others

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Several months ago this topic was discussed as to what knife would you have or take in an emergency.
Well as I sit through hurricane Florence and the 45+ mile per hour winds outside of Charlotte I have 3 knives that are on a prep bag in my spare room. Those are Para 3 in Rex 45, Manix 2 XL in S90V, and a fully serrated Caribbean leaf. Yes I'm super nervous about trees outside and I will see extent of damage when I wake up but since natural disasters are more prevalent now what is your go to knife(s) of choice.
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D
Pelagic

Re: Emergency go to, hurricane others

Post by Pelagic »

I'd be fine with my byrd rescue 2.

I'm from the Outer Banks, NC... The #1 place in the world for being brushed or hit by hurricanes. So usually the knife will used for unpacking everything I did my best to hurricane proof. It's very rare that a storm surprises me.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
blues

Post by blues »

Hope you guys made it through okay. I'm about three hours west of Charlotte in the mountains. It's been so wet for the past several months that my biggest concern is the large trees that surround our home on all sides. At the moment it looks like we should dodge most of the wind but we sure didn't need much more rain. Be glad when it's gone.

I'd probably grab the PM2 in S110V in a pinch. I have customs made from Talonite and Stellite 6K if I were seriously concerned about rusting.
- Retired from the chase -
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Where are you at SC? Fort Mill? I'm in south Charlotte and it hasn't been too bad yet. My Pacific Salt and Spyderhawk will surely see some yard cleanup duty though. For an emergency go-to probably my Pacific Salts and Salt 1s couple of dfly salts in the pockets. Light weight, tough, rust proof, etc. Native Salt whenever it gets here would get the nod as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Indian Land. Man that wind is whipping. Got about 15 sweetgums all around the house that are minimum 50 feet tall.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've seen a few power lines go down and tons of trees uprooted.

I have my usual combo of Pacific Salt, Micra and Izula 2 and I feel plenty prepared. Also got a 1000 lumen flashlight, which I consider more important in this weather.
:unicorn
blues

Post by blues »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 am
I've seen a few power lines go down and tons of trees uprooted.

I have my usual combo of Pacific Salt, Micra and Izula 2 and I feel plenty prepared. Also got a 1000 lumen flashlight, which I consider more important in this weather.
Good point, Vivi. A good light is right up there with water, food and other essentials, such as first aid gear and firearms (if one is qualified with them).

I have a bevy of Malkoff lights and a slew of rechargeable batteries, (both eneloop and lithium), to feed 'em.

Getting consistent rain right now where we are but not much wind at this point.
- Retired from the chase -
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

SC_PATRIOT wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:11 pm
Indian Land. Man that wind is whipping. Got about 15 sweetgums all around the house that are minimum 50 feet tall.

You make it through the night? We lost power for a few hours last night but its back on now. No tree damage here, but lot of rain.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red