UKPK 52100 Sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: UKPK 52100 Sprint?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:43 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:37 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:37 pm
I’ve been beating this drum for a while now so I’m glad to see someone else start a ukpk sprint thread. Thanks Spark Guy. As usually I hope for G10 scales but it’ll likely be frn which is good too. Please don’t do green though!

Orange, tan, blue, yellow, grey..anything but green. :D

52100 would be cool. I haven’t tried that steel yet.
I know you've been rooting for a UKPK sprint for awhile now. When Sal suggested starting a seperate thread I did it with you in mind. I had no idea you were so against the color green. Somebody mentioned OD green awhile ago. I've grown kind of fond of it lately and it seems like it would be a good fit with 52100. So I threw it out there and I'm going with it. Everyone's welcome to make their own suggestions and we'll see what sticks.

I have so much grey now that it's quickly becoming the new black for me.

Orange is becoming a bit overdone too (IMO) and they've already made a orange UKPK.

I love blue but I already have several blue knives, including a UKPK.

Coyote tan would be ok I guess but they're already doing the Urban with it.

How about bright red? I finally have some red knives now but another one would be ok if it was the right shade.

Everyone will have their own color preferences of course. So if it was foliage green many would be happy, many would not be. The problem with OD green just like orange is that Spyderco has already made OD green UKPKs. So something new would be better imo.
I knew they did Foliage Green but I wasn't aware they've done OD Green. There's no mention of it Spydiewiki or the old catalogs I have.

EDIT: I just compared my Foliage Green Urban to a OD green knife I have from another manufacturer and they are closer than I thought they were. I guess the OD green that I was envisioning is a little darker, like what's being used on the DLT Exlusive PM2. LQ's point is understandable though.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I think I would buy one. I've been itching to try 52100
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I’d take just about anything in 52100. I love that steel, and even on the gulf coast I have no problems with corrosion, so it’s pretty much the perfect steel for me. So tough, so easy to get RAZOR sharp... every spydie fan owes it to him or herself to try it.

Edit: I just looked at a pic to remind myself of what the UKPK looks like and I just wanted to say **** YES BRING THAT THING ON :cool: Carbon fiber scales would be sweet too!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:33 am
I’d take just about anything in 52100. I love that steel, and even on the gulf coast I have no problems with corrosion, so it’s pretty much the perfect steel for me. So tough, so easy to get RAZOR sharp... every spydie fan owes it to him or herself to try it.

Edit: I just looked at a pic to remind myself of what the UKPK looks like and I just wanted to say **** YES BRING THAT THING ON :cool: Carbon fiber scales would be sweet too!

Haha they’ve done carbon fiber before as well. :D
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:12 pm
You don't see that one very often. Maybe they should do a different CF for this one. That would be kind of cool. Maybe a little pricey but worth it no doubt.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:

Oh yes, I have the PM2 in 52100 CF (two in fact, they’re just too good to have only one), and the KW PM2 M4 CF, and I love ‘em! In fact I thought at first that I wouldn’t like the peel ply CF but after handling it I changed my mind. It’s very grippy, moreso than G10 I think, but shreds my pockets less. Although it might be cool to see a UKPK in a smooth matte finish CF, maybe like the “drunken” type on the new Sinkevich folder that’s coming out (I forget what it’s called).
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

love how spyderco ran the 52100 PM2/Millie so this would be a slam dunk
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

OD green? YES.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I did see an OD Delica from long ago. I wish I had a pic.

Here’s a link to a thread with pics. It looks great, with a black blade too, but I really want 52100 not coated.

viewtopic.php?t=57297
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:02 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:

Oh yes, I have the PM2 in 52100 CF (two in fact, they’re just too good to have only one), and the KW PM2 M4 CF, and I love ‘em! In fact I thought at first that I wouldn’t like the peel ply CF but after handling it I changed my mind. It’s very grippy, moreso than G10 I think, but shreds my pockets less. Although it might be cool to see a UKPK in a smooth matte finish CF, maybe like the “drunken” type on the new Sinkevich folder that’s coming out (I forget what it’s called).
The CF they did on the ukpk was smooth, but more shiny than matte.

I like the idea of peel my carbon fiber but I doubt that would ever happen with the sale of ukpk’s being so low.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I'd be happy with any ukpk with 52100. That being said, I would prefer FRN (to keep costs down) and leaf shaped blade. Any color scale is fine to me as my ukpk rides clip less.
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

What about a Zome FRN? I'm not usually a fan, but I could see it working really nicely on this sprint!

Edit: we could do black and red in honor of LC, the #1 UKPK advocate on the forums!
Stay Golden :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

HiHgwxx7,

Zome is a Japanese process. The UK is made in the US. Sorry, not a practical solution.

sal
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

UKPK with 52100 as bladesteel is long overdue and if I remember correctly we asked Sal Glesser years ago and I thought he will do it (already in the past).

It's no damage to say it again: YES PLEASE! RED G-10 handles, uncoatted DROPPOINT blade would be my preferred configuration.

Thanks!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:45 pm
HiHgwxx7,

Zome is a Japanese process. The UK is made in the US. Sorry, not a practical solution.

sal
Hi Sal!

Honored to have warranted a response! That makes sense; I didn't realize the UK was a Golden model!

Edit: I still think we should do some type of red in honor of LC! Red CF perhaps?
Stay Golden :spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hgwxx7 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:39 pm
Edit: I still think we should do some type of red in honor of LC! Red CF perhaps?

Wow you’re too kind. No need for something like that though. I just think this design is knife perfection so I want to see variants of it produced just like other models in Spyderco’s lineup. If more people tried it out, I think it would sell a lot better. A sprint is a good way to make it more appealing to the masses. Perhaps if the sprint was well received, it would in turn drive more sales of the standard model. Remember the k390 Urban sprint? That had a huge impact on the number of Urban fans out there.

The Urban, Squeak and Pingo all recently had the sprint treatment, but the ukpk missed out. Those were all expensive versions with titanium that took a while to sell, which is why I think G10 is a happy medium. Nicer than frn, less expensive than titanium.

The idea of the ukpk serving as a folding mule got me really excited but I think Sal is cooking up something else for the mule team. G10 or some other kind of material would be awesome, but variations of the frn version with 52100 or some other steel is really cool too.

The wait continues. :D

@liquid_cobra
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:32 am
Anything but pink, really. Tomato red? Goldenrod yellow? Not a coated blade, please.
I would buy one in pink in a heartbeat, but preferably with a more everyday steel like BD1N or S30V.

Forest green G10 with 204P would be nice.
chillicheesefries

Post by chillicheesefries »

In for a UKPK sprint! Would love to see one with olive drab or sand colour scales and a blade steel that'll take a nice patina with use.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

In, standard style FRN, any colour would be fine.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
stanners55

Post by stanners55 »

Sounds a great idea and will be welcomed by all at SpydercoUK. Happy to go with most scales as standard and do own thing with CUSCADI or similar!