Spyderco civilian why not EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kirill.sergueev

Spyderco civilian why not EDC?

Post by kirill.sergueev »

I apologize for my first posting on the board. I am fascinated with Spyderco Civilian design and I bitterly want to add it to my small collection but when I ask about it in my local knife store the store owner said that he does not have it in his inventory, since it is not a knife but rather a self defense weapon, and it cannot be used for EDC tasks because it voids the warranty. Just curious why not? It seems to me be a perfect tool to cut boxes open and other everyday needs around house. I also do not want to break any law about knife ownership since those laws can be confusing and I do not want to carry it outside the house. Just curious is it fragile and easy to break while performing light duty?
kirill.sergueev

Re: Spyderco civilian why not EDC?

Actually I am also curious would Spyderco sharpen the Civilian if it gets dull due to non self defense use?
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

They're known to have fragile tips and they don't want to deal with inevitable breakage from the way an average joe may use it.
FK

Post by FK »

I had a C12 Civilian in the early 1990's,,, was always concerned about the weak tip breaking and did not use it very often.

Suggest a Spyder Hawk, less expensive and has thicker tip with H1 steel. Essentially the same blade shape and size as C12.

Yes, Spyderco will sharpen the SE blade for a small fee.
Or better yet, invest in the Spyderco Sharpmaker which is designed to sharpen the SE blade configuration.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I believe the Matriarch is a bit thicker but maybe still not the best choice for utility use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kirill.sergueev wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 pm
....the store owner said that he does not have it in his inventory, since it is not a knife but rather a self defense weapon, and it cannot be used for EDC tasks because it voids the warranty....
First, welcome to the Spyderco Forums.

I'm not sure the store owner is completely correct here. I'm pretty sure Spyderco would apply their warranty policy to the Civilian just like they would any other knife. You can use it for EDC tasks. Just be mindful of the fragile tip when using it. If you do happen to break the tip off don't expect Spyderco to replace the knife under warranty. If you like the knife then buy it. Go ahead and use it for light edc tasks and enjoy it. Just have realistic expectations if something happens to it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

I would call it more of a rescue knife then a defense knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:29 am
kirill.sergueev wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 pm
....the store owner said that he does not have it in his inventory, since it is not a knife but rather a self defense weapon, and it cannot be used for EDC tasks because it voids the warranty....
First, welcome to the Spyderco Forums.

I'm not sure the store owner is completely correct here. I'm pretty sure Spyderco would apply their warranty policy to the Civilian just like they would any other knife. You can use it for EDC tasks. Just be mindful of the fragile tip when using it. If you do happen to break the tip off don't expect Spyderco to replace the knife under warranty. If you like the knife then buy it. Go ahead and use it for light edc tasks and enjoy it. Just have realistic expectations if something happens to it.

I'm not sure they still ship with this tag or not... (not my pic)
Attachments
Civilian 2.jpg
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Yeah, I thought I remembered something about a warning that was included with knife. I still think my post is valid. Technically the store owner is correct. If the OP breaks the tip off their knife they shouldn't expect Spyderco to fix it under warranty. I think that's true with any of their knives. However, if the OP is using the knife to open boxes and the knife develops another problem (unrelated to the tip of the blade) I'd find it hard to believe that Spyderco wouldn't evaluate the issue and apply their warranty policy like they would for any other model.

For example, if the OP sends his Civilian in to W&R because there's a problem with pivot. The person who's doing the evaluation finds tape residue on the blade. I'd find it hard to believe that they'd automatically disqualify the knife for any warranty repairs because there's evidence that the knife was being used to open packages.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Either way it's enough that I'd just choose a different knife for the job.
~David
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I can't see any reason why you'd want a Civilian as a everyday use folder. It's a one trick pony, and its trick has *hopefully* nothing to do with everyday activities..
I used to own a Cold Steel Terminator push dagger, and i am sure it would have been a swell fighting blade, but i never used it (at all) so sold it later.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have a friend who uses a Matriarch 2 for edc. Hasn't had any problems, the tip is a little worn down and there are plenty of scratches, but it works great. He uses a Sharpmaker to maintain it.

I don't see why you couldn't use a civilian for EDC. As others have said just be aware that the tip will most likely be worn down with use, and a small piece may even break off. But even if it does, the knife should still keep on cutting stuff.

Matriarch might be a cheaper and better option than the civilian. But if you really want one, go for it, just remember to mind the tip.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd suggest the Spyderhawk. It's still a big blade with a pointy tip, but in a lighter, more compact package that's more EDC friendly. The tip is thicker, and H1 is an incredibly tough steel. It's also cheaper.
:unicorn
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

If you want a reverse s blade, why not a Lil' Matriarch? Relatively reasonably priced, albeit rare, on the secondary market.

Since we are talking about EDC H1, how about the C28SYL2HB Dfly 2 Hawkbill?
Stay Golden :spyder:
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I think it would make an Okay EDC, but might result in raised eyebrows among non-knife people. I also think there’s plenty of EDC choices in more conventional blade shapes that you’re not going to have to remember to be careful of the tip while you’re using it. If you do decide to EDC the Civilian it would be interesting for you to share how it works out.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You could, and one could also use a sawed-off twelve gauge to hunt dove. Why would you want to?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
kirill.sergueev

Thank you all. Like I said I love Civilian design and its look. And I was thinking to add it to my small collection. But since "collection" of knifes is kind of pointless, I like to use them from time to time for EDC on the rotation basis. But since I have no opportunity to hold it in hands before purchasing and its price is pretty high I would like to figure out if it is as delicate as it is positioned by Spyderco (for self defense only). Would its tip withstand box cutting type of abuse? If it fells on the ground would it gets snapped? How much care should it be taken to avoid knife damage?
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

The Civilian is indeed a "one trick poney". Albeit a very cool one and that's the major reason I bought one. It is clear from the enclosed paper work that Spyderco never intended it to be used as an EDC knife. So if you buy one keep that in mind. Also check out the YouTube videos of the Civilian slicing through multiple water bottles, their a hoot! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
garret

Post by garret »

La etiqueta que le acompaña a la mia lo dice, no es adecuado para edc, la punta es demasiado fina y la mínima torsión seguramente la romperá. Con el grillo o Lil matriarch no tendrías esos problemas.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

garret wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:21 pm
La etiqueta que le acompaña a la mia lo dice, no es adecuado para edc, la punta es demasiado fina y la mínima torsión seguramente la romperá. Con el grillo o Lil matriarch no tendrías esos problemas.
For those who don't read Spanish :D ......

"The label that accompanies mine says it, it is not suitable for edc, the tip is too thin and the minimum torsion will surely break it. With cricket or Lil matriarch you would not have those problems."