Special markings on Sprint&Limited Editions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
snapshot2017

Special markings on Sprint&Limited Editions.

Post by snapshot2017 »

On my Benchmade Triage first responder rescue knife, the first 12 of 1000 is marked on knifes blade.
I would like to see this same type of marking on Spyderco Sprint and Limited Edition knifes.
It would add a lot to the knifes value.
Attachments
First Production 12 of 1000 (2).jpg
First Production 12 of 1000 (1).jpg
MichaelScott

Re: Special markings on Sprint&Limited Editions.

Post by MichaelScott »

I disagree. It is obvious to Spyderco collectors and those who are basically knowledgeable about Spyderco and interested in spending $100 and more which are sprint runs.

I don’t like advertisements printed on a knife’s blade which is basically what that is.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:30 am
I disagree. It is obvious to Spyderco collectors and those who are basically knowledgeable about Spyderco and interested in spending $100 and more which are sprint runs.

I don’t like advertisements printed on a knife’s blade which is basically what that is.
I agree, keep the clutter off the blade. I find numbered blades tacky.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

No extra markings on the blade for me please. I don't really like how it looks and I think it actually decreases the value on the secondary market.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I also dislike markings on the blade. A manufacture/designer logo, and the type of steel used, is about all I want.

If you would put the Sprint number in very small print, say right under the Spyderco name on the tang, I would be okay with that. Personally it wouldn't make a difference to me in the knife's value, but then I'm not really a collector.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I would never buy a knife with that on the blade! I like my blades clean. They only thing i do like is the cool LC200N or H1 logo on some blades. The Spyderco blades are fine as they are now. They can mark the box and if it has to be on the knife i would prefer it to be hidden on the inside. Like on the liners or on the blade at the pivot which nobody sees.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Rutger wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 am
I would never buy a knife with that on the blade! I like my blades clean. They only thing i do like is the cool LC200N or H1 logo on some blades. The Spyderco blades are fine as they are now. They can mark the box and if it has to be on the knife i would prefer it to be hidden on the inside. Like on the liners or on the blade at the pivot which nobody sees.

Same here. I actually really like the H1 and LC200N markings as well as the standard spydie logo, steels name, sigs, coo, etc. Anything extra is literally a dealbreaker. If a collectors club numbered edition was half the cost of an unmarked blade I would still go with the unmarked. I really have no interest in any of the forum knives either with the markings on the blade. KISS as they say.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

No extra markings.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:32 am
I find numbered blades tacky.
This. :cool:
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:03 am
If a collectors club numbered edition was half the cost of an unmarked blade I would still go with the unmarked. I really have no interest in any of the forum knives either with the markings on the blade. KISS as they say.
Yeah when looking at the secondary market i always skip the collectors club ones. Don't want the number on my knives. I think it lowers the value instead of increasing it. Collectors will know if a piece is rare or not. We don't need a number for that.

I think the Spyderco blades would look even better if they moved the Spyderco logo next to where the steel type is marked now and Sal's signature next to Eric. So that the blades cutting portion is completely clean.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Rutger wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 am
They only thing i do like is the cool LC200N or H1 logo on some blades.
Same here.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

To the OP, they do indeed label their new “Flash Batch” offerings (ALL of the run) with that very numbering scheme. Here’s an example of my white Lil Nilakka (number 0086):

As for CC numbers, it makes me extremely happy (and satisfies my OCD no end) that my knives all have the same number on them. I get the knives I want pretty much before everyone else and I don’t have to worry one bit about whether I’ll get a hold on the next must-have model, sprint or exclusive. Removing that concern vastly outweighs any concern I have about a few extra small point font numbers on my blade. In fact my number always sits proudly next to the Spydie logo 99% of the time (other times they put it on the back ;)). Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If they did a VERY small "25/1200" like ZT sometimes do, I might be ok with that but I absolutely don't want a bunch of crap etched down the side of my blade. That's a knife I wouldn't buy no matter how special it is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

AFAIK, ZT puts serial and model numbers, steel, makers last name, etc on every blade pretty much. Usually way more text than any Spyderco knife...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:07 am
AFAIK, ZT puts serial and model numbers, steel, makers last name, etc on every blade pretty much. Usually way more text than any Spyderco knife...

Right and I think they overdo it, I just meant a small numerical etching on the back of the tang somewhere almost hidden.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I don’t care either way. Given that Spyderco hasn’t done this I don’t think they should start.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

I just feel if people pay extra to get a special Spyderco knife, they might like knowing, it can be identified as being not just a plane model Spyderco knife but special Spyderco knife.
It was just an idea so don't lose any sleep over my post.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I would never want anything marked like the first photo that started the thread. That is definitely tacky.

I have a couple of ZT knives and they are marked with a unique number in a tasteful way that does not annoy me.
But I can take or leave that.

I have a Benchmade with horrible markings like the first one shown. It says "Prototype January 2009" -- now I can sort of
understand vandalizing the blade if you want to mark a prototype and avoid various issues that might arise.
The price was right, the knife was unique and interesting, and it was an impulse buy.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Another vote for no numbers on blade. All my Spyderco knives are 1 of 1 in my own mind anyway:)
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Not a fan. But if they could get that tiny writing down the spine of the blade (which seems impossible), that might be cool.