Spydiechef question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Harkwit

Spydiechef question

Post by Harkwit »

Hey guys,

Regarding the spydiechef, I had a few questions about the lock,

Is there an overtravel stop?

Also, is there a steel insert, or is the blade resting on bare titanium?

If the answer to the above is both no, how do you guys see the spydiechef holding up over time and constant use?
atv223

Re: Spydiechef question

Post by atv223 »

Spydiechef has neither of those features. The interface of the lock I believe is carburized which should limit wear.

If you search the forum there is someone who flipped the Spydiechef open and closed during is commute for months and it held up well.

The lack of over travel stop isn't an issue if you don't force it open too far. I don't think it's an issue for a "knife person" I won't let a random person open and close it.
JohnyKwst

Post by JohnyKwst »

An over travel stop is really unnecessary imo. In the 20 years the frame lock has existed, I have never seen any reports of anyone over extending a frame lock. Given the varying quality levels and ubiquity of the frame lock would think it is a nonissue.

Also refer to the following thread:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ove ... k.1269618/

As for titanium lock bar face there are a few factors to consider in regards to wear.

1. Is the lockbar face treated, carburized ala Chris reeve or carbidized — tungsten carbide ?
2. Does the lock bar properly mate with the tang and is it properly ramped? Some frame locks will mate with only a small point and thus wear much quicker as a result.
3. These days with flippers needing less drag thus being built with less lockbar tension. Does the lockbar have sufficient tension to adjust for wear otherwise there I’ll be lock rock and or blade play.

I opened and closed my sebenza over 30,000 times and there was 5-10 percent movement earlier on in the cycles and never moved past 80 percent. The ceramic ball detent will be the first to wear out on that lock, and the ball still has plenty of life left.

Steel inserts allow for looser tolerances in comparison and also work well.

I’m not sure if the spydiechef has a treated lock face but I don’t believe the techno 1, nirvana, or sage 2 are treated.

I don’t post much these days but I’m a huge Spyderco fan and would like to see Spydercos Taichung plant treat the faces and of course move over to ceramic ball detents.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

atv223 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:33 pm
The interface of the lock I believe is carburized which should limit wear.
As far as I know, Spyderco does not carburize or carbidize their lock faces.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68922&p=1046527&hil ... e#p1046527
TazKristi wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:19 am
We have no plans at this time for a steel interface. We also do not carburize or carbidize.

What we do have though is lots of experience, data from extensive testing and several thousand knives (some with a steel interface and some without). We also have our practice of CQI (Constant Quality Improvement). Just as we do with every model (new and old), we'll be watching and listening to all of you.

I hope this helps.

Kristi
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!