why has Spyderco not made an Auto Knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
snapshot2017

Re: why has Spyderco not made an Auto Knife.

Post by snapshot2017 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:26 pm
snapshot2017 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:50 pm
If Spyderco would make a auto knife and get into a movie as Microtech did with the John Wick movies, after his movies were out i found a picture of a three John Wick Microtech set that was the only one Microtech made, i asked Microtech if they were going to make another their answer was no ,they made only one for a special customer.

Spyderco would have a real in demand winner to sell.
I'm pretty sure I have had an Autonomy 2 on pre order for many moons. If that button is just for aesthetics, I'm going to be bummed out. :rolleyes:

That Autonomy 2 looks a lot like my Microtech LUDT, i am sure if Sal and Eric did the work on it the button will work just fine.
Any idea when you will be getting it?
Here is an item in regards to the LC200N steel with Sals comment in regards to it's use.
https://www.everydaycommentary.com/www. ... or-z-finit
Attachments
Resized Microtech LUDT Auto.jpg
Resized Microtech LUDT Auto.jpg (23.91 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
Last edited by snapshot2017 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I live in Hawaii, where automatic knives are illegal. When I log in on BladeHQ's website, I am prohibited from even adding a Microtech or Protech or any auto to my cart. So in my experience, it would seem that the vendors are complying with the individual State laws.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:46 pm
snapshot2017 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:50 pm
If Spyderco would make a auto knife and get into a movie as Microtech did with the John Wick movies, after his movies were out i found a picture of a three John Wick Microtech set that was the only one Microtech made, i asked Microtech if they were going to make another their answer was no ,they made only one for a special customer.

Spyderco would have a real in demand winner to sell.
Are you saying there's high demand for a knife that only 1 exists? I hope it's selling for a lot of money.
After the John wick movies came out and people noticed him using a Microtech knife in it, i am guessing someone with the money had Microtech make them the three John Wick knife set in it's show case.

I think it was put on consignment or the owner of a on line knife seller owned it, and it was offered for sale and was sold.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Marfione- ... ick--71484

I just saw it shown as out of stock on their site.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:49 pm
I’m like 99.999% sure you only need an active FOID card here in Illinois. Not the CCW permit. But Chicago still doesn’t allow any autos to be carried by anyone.

Edited to remove quote. Also adding link because it also addresses the sale/exchange of autos.

https://kniferights.org/legislative-upd ... mediately/
Thank you for the clarification.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:22 am
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:49 pm
I’m like 99.999% sure you only need an active FOID card here in Illinois. Not the CCW permit. But Chicago still doesn’t allow any autos to be carried by anyone.

Edited to remove quote. Also adding link because it also addresses the sale/exchange of autos.

https://kniferights.org/legislative-upd ... mediately/
Thank you for the clarification.
It is well known how the state of Illinois cares about the safety of their citizens, along with their firearm laws they also include their knife laws.

Blade Magazine in their August 2018 has a story covering the 60th anniversary of "THE BIG MISTAKE" The Federal switchblade knife Act of 1958.

When James Dean whipped out that switchblade knife in the movie Rebel Without a Cause, it sent our Government into a wild never ending chase to make us all safe from the GANGS all across America.

Now that sure has made us all a lot safer right.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

At this point I'm 100% sure that the vast majority of one hand open knives can be deployed just as fast as something that's spring powered. Spyderco especially.

Then again, we've seen some recent restrictions come into existence based on speed of deployment as the problematic feature, so it seems that fast + sharp = bad for some people even today.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

I am just happy i dont live in the UK ,where a nail file can get one arrested.
JDWY

Post by JDWY »

[/quote]

I wonder how often an auto gets caught mid-shipment and what repercussions the buyer has to deal with... It would really be unfortunate to spend $600 on a auto to have it confiscated and looking at federal charges. Eek
[/quote]

One way to cut back on liability if you’re concerned is to have the vendor ship the knife any way other than USPS. Since the federal switchblade act of 1958 which governs these knives was passed prior to fedex and UPS, you get around half the Act by shipping non-postal service
[/quote]
I've bought about 3 from out of state through USPS. I don't think they are against the law when it comes to shipping. It appears quite a few "switchblade" laws have changed in the last few years. Some states it's not against the law to own one, but it's against the law to carry it.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:40 am
I am just happy i dont live in the UK ,where a nail file can get one arrested.
Given that I live in Illinois, maybe I should leave the knives at home and get a nail file. :D
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

JDWY wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:49 am
I wonder how often an auto gets caught mid-shipment and what repercussions the buyer has to deal with... It would really be unfortunate to spend $600 on a auto to have it confiscated and looking at federal charges. Eek
[/quote]

One way to cut back on liability if you’re concerned is to have the vendor ship the knife any way other than USPS. Since the federal switchblade act of 1958 which governs these knives was passed prior to fedex and UPS, you get around half the Act by shipping non-postal service
[/quote]
I've bought about 3 from out of state through USPS. I don't think they are against the law when it comes to shipping. It appears quite a few "switchblade" laws have changed in the last few years. Some states it's not against the law to own one, but it's against the law to carry it.
[/quote]

You need to read and really understand your states Statutes on both firearms and knives, also many cities have knife laws unless you know what both the state Statutes and your cities laws it's a crap shoot if you run into a problem.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

State preemption laws are necessary! They keep a statewide level playing file for people. The fact that you can become a criminal merely by crossing an invisible line on a map is itself criminal infringement by government.