Spyderedged Sprint Runs? It's Time Has Come

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderedged Sprint Runs? It's Time Has Come

Post by JD Spydo »

We have been really blessed with some of Spyderco's great Sprint Runs. So why haven't we got to have a Spyderedged Sprint Run? Taking certain past classic Spyderco models and making them in newer/better materials ( especially new blade steels). My main EDC is a Sprint run>> I'm speaking of the M390 C-36 Military model. It's been the best EDC I've ever had up till now. Sprint Runs have also become some of my most favorite Spyders ever.

But I'm actually getting kind of depressed because there is one type of Spyder that they have seriously overlooked for Sprint runs and that is the Spyderedged models. Like it or not Spyderco's serrated models are mainly what put them where they are at today IMO. I would bet that if Spyderco would do Spyderedged Sprint Runs of the C-60 Ayoob, The C-36 Military, The Chinook III and the Catcherman models would be gone quickly. There are certain past models that are loved in SE>> especially the C-36 Military. We've had several people ask for that one in SE.

You could also add some of the smaller bladed models like the Dodo, The Meerkat, The Caly Jr., The Swick and about 5 others I could mention in SE. What Spyderco past models would you all like to see in a Spyderedged Sprint Run? The Dodo SE model would be my very top pick. Who else thinks so?
VashHash

Re: Spyderedged Sprint Runs? It's Time Has Come

Post by VashHash »

We just had the king of SE return in sprint form. The Spyderhawk in H1.

I'd like an SE military though and an SE police on K390.

I think what stops it is the fact that they make a custom grinding wheel for each pattern. That could be costly to just make a few knives that don't sell very well. H1 orange spyderhawks are still in stock. I bought some but I couldn't buy them all. We're in the minority here JD.

Smaller serrated knives aren't really doing it for me. Tried my coworker's SE dragonfly and I find the serrations scallops tend to catch more than cut. My SE native works a lot better with the larger scallops. My H1 ladyhawk works well buts it's shallow serrations. I find the shallow serrations perform the best.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 am
We have been really blessed with some of Spyderco's great Sprint Runs. So why haven't we got to have a Spyderedged Sprint Run? Taking certain past classic Spyderco models and making them in newer/better materials ( especially new blade steels). My main EDC is a Sprint run>> I'm speaking of the M390 C-36 Military model. It's been the best EDC I've ever had up till now. Sprint Runs have also become some of my most favorite Spyders ever.

But I'm actually getting kind of depressed because there is one type of Spyder that they have seriously overlooked for Sprint runs and that is the Spyderedged models. Like it or not Spyderco's serrated models are mainly what put them where they are at today IMO. I would bet that if Spyderco would do Spyderedged Sprint Runs of the C-60 Ayoob, The C-36 Military, The Chinook III and the Catcherman models would be gone quickly. There are certain past models that are loved in SE>> especially the C-36 Military. We've had several people ask for that one in SE.

You could also add some of the smaller bladed models like the Dodo, The Meerkat, The Caly Jr., The Swick and about 5 others I could mention in SE. What Spyderco past models would you all like to see in a Spyderedged Sprint Run? The Dodo SE model would be my very top pick. Who else thinks so?
I think the C-36 in your combo edge design with an easy to sharpen tool steel would be great. Im thinking 52100 or Cruwear. Maybe that is just too one off. Could you repost pics of your design JD?
Justin
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:15 am
I find the shallow serrations perform the best.
I would have to agree with that. The Byrd Hawkbill has shallow serrations and they just rip.
Justin
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Good post JD.

I know they are going to release the Pacific Salt PE in LC200N. It be nice to see a sprint run in SE LC200N as well before they change the handle.
C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:

I think what stops it is the fact that they make a custom grinding wheel for each pattern. That could be costly to just make a few knives that don't sell very well. H1 orange spyderhawks are still in stock. I bought some but I couldn't buy them all. We're in the minority here JD.

Smaller serrated knives aren't really doing it for me. Tried my coworker's SE dragonfly and I find the serrations scallops tend to catch more than cut. My SE native works a lot better with the larger scallops. My H1 ladyhawk works well buts it's shallow serrations. I find the shallow serrations perform the best.
That's a good point and I most certainly overlooked the recent, nuclear orange Spyderhawk SE. However most of Spyderco's Hawkbills are SE to begin with as are their Sheepsfoot blades and most of their kitchen knives as well>> I stand corrected. But the classic EDC Spyders have not been properly represented in Spyderedge. The Dodo and the C-60 Ayoob models were both super-beasts in SE and it's just not fair that they are no longer available in SE.

And I know I sound like a 33rpm vinyl record album with a bad scratch in it the way I keep begging for another fully serrated Catcherman. But just ask Landon ( xceptnl) if you don't believe me as to how awesome that Catcherman model is in SE. And in the fixed blade category the TEMPERANCE 1 model ( which was offered in SE from the Factory by the way) was a great all purpose fixed blade in SE. There are some of us who appreciated these super Spyderedged models that much to never let them die.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have the SE Ayoob and it's a fine performer. I would like another with the same SHALLOW serrations. I won't hold my breath though. I also have an SE temperance and it's a fine knife too. I still suggest the jumpmaster 2 as an alternative to the temperance. It's almost the same knife and should perform better and never rust. It's the temp you want but even better.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:

I bought some but I couldn't buy them all. We're in the minority here JD.

I find the shallow serrations perform the best.
OK Vash your last statement of the "shallow serrations">> why do you think I keep beating the drum for the full Spyderedged Catcherman for? Because it had those low profile serrations which were also a bit more rounded/wavy than the standard versions are. The full Spyderedged Catcherman has a serration pattern that I've not seen on any other Spyderco SE knife period. And like I say just ask Landon ( xceptnl) if you guys don't believe me. Because when he got ahold of one of those full SE, AUS-8 Catcherman models he couldn't believe how well it performed. I wouldn't even care if they did it in H-1 or LC200n as long as they would do it in the same SE pattern that the original SE Catcherman was done in.

And just ask Doc Snubnose how great that C-60 Ayoob is in full SE. That is arguably the best Spyderedged folder ever.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ulize
Ayoob
Sliverax
Chaparral

In order of desire/priority.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

A full SE Sliverax does seem quite appealing, and it sounds like a wicked performer...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

odd thing, :confused:
I was surfing through some really old threads (think 2001) and I believe I read from Sal that their main models were selling better in SE month after month, :o
and that the preference when choosing a Spyderco was Serrated. It is really true that most of the catalog was available in SE in the old days :rolleyes:

Sad for us lovers of teeth in blades, but it's logical to appeal to the market and users to succeed, and if they demand PE, then so be it :spyder:
Last edited by ThePeacent on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Mmm, SpyderEdges :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:08 am
odd thing, :confused:
I was surfing through some really old threads (think 2001) and I believe I read from Sal that their main models were selling better in SE month after month, :o
and that the preference when choosing a SPyderco was Serrated. It is really true that most of the catalog was available in SE in the old days :rolleyes:

Sad for us lovers of teeth in blades, but it's logical to appeal to the market and users to succeed, and if they demand PE, then so be it :spyder:
Great observation PEACENT!! Because back in those good ol' days you made reference to also encompasses what I affectionately call the GOLDEN Era Of SPYDERS (1998-2003) and at that time you could get just about any model in SE. Actually during that time it was easier to find a Spyderedged model than it was to find that one particular model in plain edge.

EVIL D's #1 pick of the ULIZE in SE is also something I've been asking for at least for the past 4 years or so. All of your curved models in SE just cut like crazy. That's why Hawkbill blades do so much better in SE. Even the Dodo that's big on my list for Spyderedge is just a completely different tool all together with teeth. The super quick response of this thread should at least get somebody's attention,. And I do very much want to eventually see a Reverse S blade in Spyderedge. These aforementioned models in just a few short posts should tell everyone that there is a demand for Sprint Runs in Spyderedge. Old models, Newer models in SE>> hey let's do it!!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Calicoast wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:28 am
Good post JD.

I know they are going to release the Pacific Salt PE in LC200N. It be nice to see a sprint run in SE LC200N as well before they change the handle.
C
As you are mentioning the nitrogen based steel LC200N I can't help but wonder if this wouldn't be a good time for a Sprint Run of the Caspian Salt dive knife that everyone fell in love with after it was discontinued. But I would love one in LC200N in full Spyderedge. I often think about what a jerk I was for passing up two opportunities I had to get a CASPIAN Salt dive knife. In spite of it being a dive knife I think you could use that design for all kinds of cutting chores.

That Caspian Salt was so well loved that I don't think Spyderco needs a new dive knife just bring back the Caspian Salt in full SE and they could also offer it in combo edge too.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The only SE blades I have are a bunch of H1 Salt models, which I love. Im going to grab a Native Salt SE to try, but beyond that I dont have a ton of interest in SE. One thing I would really love though is a Blacked out Military Salt in H1 SE. That would be a pure beast mode right there.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I guess I think our SE options are pretty good. Para2 in SE is there, finally, and the Dragonfly, Native, Delica, Tenacious, Tasman Salt, Aqua Salt, and Caribbean cover a lot of ground. There are several models in production I’m ignoring too.

I would like to see the Chaparral SE happen, and I suspect it will, but it’s also the one PE knife that I don’t wish was SE every time I cut something.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:52 pm
Calicoast wrote:
Good post JD.

C
As you are mentioning the nitrogen based steel LC200N I can't help but wonder if this wouldn't be a good time for a Sprint Run of the Caspian Salt dive knife that everyone fell in love with after it was discontinued. But I would love one in LC200N in full Spyderedge. I often think about what a jerk I was for passing up two opportunities I had to get a CASPIAN Salt dive knife. In spite of it being a dive knife I think you could use that design for all kinds of cutting chores.

That Caspian Salt was so well loved that I don't think Spyderco needs a new dive knife just bring back the Caspian Salt in full SE and they could also offer it in combo edge too.
I had to look that knife up (CASPIAN SALT) had not seen that before. That would be a nice little boot knife in and around the water. I think we all agree, more SE + LC200N all around. I would also like to see the "R" in SE sprint run. :)
C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:12 pm
I guess I think our SE options are pretty good. Para2 in SE is there,
Hey that's great because I'm also a Para2 fan much more than I like the Para3>> the 3 just doesn't have enough blade for me :( Sorry

And it's high time we get the C-36 Military model back in SE>> there are so many here on the Forum who have been wanting the C36 to return in Spyderedge for at least the past 5 years or so.

And for the C-111 Captain, The Superhawk and the recent Dodo Sprint runs not to be available in Spyderedge is just outright wrong :( Those knives would have attained permanent status on the line up had they been introduced in Spyderedge to begin with. Heck the prototype of the Jason Breeden C-111 Captain model was originally in a serrated blade.

And with Spyderco being the "un-disputed" king of the serrated edge I personally think that every model they make should at least be available in Spyderedge even if it's only on a "special order" basis. yeah I could even live with that.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

crazywednesday wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 am

I think the C-36 in your combo edge design with an easy to sharpen tool steel would be great. Im thinking 52100 or Cruwear. Maybe that is just too one off. Could you repost pics of your design JD?
Correction, the design I am referring to is from Evil D. Please post a pic when you get a chance.
Justin
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:52 pm
Calicoast wrote:
Good post JD.

C

I think I'm one of the few who actually use that knife regularly and outside of in/under water use (where it excels) it isn't a very good general purpose knife. Mine is the blunt tipped one since puncturing a dry suit while diving is no fun and I use another knife to dispatch fish when spearfishing (Caspian is always with my as my rope cutting/safety knife)

Afaik it didn't sell well and that was the reason it was discoed.