Spyderedged Sprint Runs? It's Time Has Come

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Re: Spyderedged Sprint Runs? It's Time Has Come

Post by Dazen »

Would love to see more SE and Combo Edges on more models. A SE Endura was my first Spyderco in the early 2000’s that got me hooked!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dazen wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:36 am

Would love to see more SE and Combo Edges on more models. A SE Endura was my first Spyderco in the early 2000’s that got me hooked!

Yeah, more combo edges would be nice too. I really hope the Endela and Police LW get the Foliage Green and Blacked Out saber ground combo edge variations that the Delica and Endura have.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Interesting!! Because I'm hearing that identical story over and over again. My very first Spyder in the Spring of 1995 was a full SE, GIN-1 Mariner model with Stainless handles. It was actually over a year before I got my first PE Spyder.

And for all those who literally "CURSE"!!! the combo edge>> all I can say is that when you encounter a steady job that needs occasional rope or cordage cutting then you'll wish you had one. Not everyone needs a full SE Spyder like I do>> but virtually everyone could find uses for a combo edge.

And the SE Endura you mention for it's price is an astounding tool for all kinds of cutting chores.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:19 pm
Dazen wrote:
Interesting!! Because I'm hearing that identical story over and over again. My very first Spyder in the Spring of 1995 was a full SE, GIN-1 Mariner model with Stainless handles. It was actually over a year before I got my first PE Spyder.

And for all those who literally "CURSE"!!! the combo edge>> all I can say is that when you encounter a steady job that needs occasional rope or cordage cutting then you'll wish you had one. Not everyone needs a full SE Spyder like I do>> but virtually everyone could find uses for a combo edge.

And the SE Endura you mention for it's price is an astounding tool for all kinds of cutting chores.
I personally would love to see the Caribbean or Tusk available in a Combo Edge, or even the Cruwear Shaman as well. Just something easier to sharpen with all the serrations. As for full SE, I usually reserve that for knives that are around $100 or less because they are purpose blades, like the Salt I leave in my truck.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 am
Dazen wrote:

Yeah, more combo edges would be nice too. I really hope the Endela and Police LW get the Foliage Green and Blacked Out saber ground combo edge variations that the Delica and Endura have.
Now I will admit that I like combo edges on the full sized models like the Endura, Military, POLICE ect. My favorite POLICE model of all time other than the original ATS-55 G-10 model>> was the ATS-55 combo edged, stainless handled model. I carried one of those in my tool box for almost two years until I sold it. That POLICE model was extremely handy in CE.

But back to the topic at hand. I still think that both of Jason Breeden's Spyderco models i.e. The Captain and the Breeden RESCUE both in SE would have out sold their plain edged counterparts at least 3 to 1 I'm sure of it. And we MUST and I mean absolutely MUST have one of Spyderco's Recurve models in full SE>> my pick would be the ULIZE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:55 pm
Yes please. More Spyderedges! Let's start with a Spyderedged Dodo and an LC200N SE Spyderhawk!
SteelCity if I didn't know better I would swear you've dug up several of my old Hawkbill and SE threads :D But it doesn't matter because you are almost always on the same page it seems anyway.
In the old days of the early 2000 decade you could get almost any great Spyderco model in SE or PE. Now just a select few are offered in SE. That needs to change.
EVIL D has brought to our necessary attention that several people want to see the Return of the C-36 Military model in SE. And I wouldn't mind if the first 3/4ths of an inch was plain edged. Actually I would kind of like it that way.
I want to first of all focus on blades with "curve" in them to be candidates for Spyderedged Sprint Runs.
Even the older 2004 era TOAD model in SE may not have been a bad idea after all. But the DODO in SE>> that just has to be done ASAP>> I know I'm not alone with that one either. Whatever model you all want in SE>> put it down>> while we have their attention :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd like to see a combo edge Police lightweight. I'm buying the PE version, but one with teeth would be cool.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:41 pm

I'd like to see a combo edge Police lightweight. I'm buying the PE version, but one with teeth would be cool.

Absolutely. Im really hoping for a Foliage Green or Black/Black Saber Ground Combo Edge Police LW to match the Delicas and Enduras. I'd buy either, or both.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:38 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:55 pm
Yes please. More Spyderedges! Let's start with a Spyderedged Dodo and an LC200N SE Spyderhawk!
SteelCity if I didn't know better I would swear you've dug up several of my old Hawkbill and SE threads :D But it doesn't matter because you are almost always on the same page it seems anyway.
In the old days of the early 2000 decade you could get almost any great Spyderco model in SE or PE. Now just a select few are offered in SE. That needs to change.
EVIL D has brought to our necessary attention that several people want to see the Return of the C-36 Military model in SE. And I wouldn't mind if the first 3/4ths of an inch was plain edged. Actually I would kind of like it that way.
I want to first of all focus on blades with "curve" in them to be candidates for Spyderedged Sprint Runs.
Even the older 2004 era TOAD model in SE may not have been a bad idea after all. But the DODO in SE>> that just has to be done ASAP>> I know I'm not alone with that one either. Whatever model you all want in SE>> put it down>> while we have their attention :)

We are definitely spydie brothas from anotha motha JD. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm a little disappointed that Joe's title has a singular "It". I feel their (plural) time has come.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just throwing it out there, I got a second Caribbean today and the serrations are among the sharpest edges I've ever felt, including blades I've sharpened myself, including plain edge blades. This thing is stupid sharp right out of the box. The folks in Taichung really seem to know how to lay down some serrations and I think we need more of that. I've been thinking about sending a Sliverax off to have it custom ground, but I would jump all over a production SE Sliverax.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:56 pm
Just throwing it out there, I got a second Caribbean today...

Nice. Is it leaf or sheepsfoot?
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:41 pm
I'm a little disappointed that Joe's title has a singular "It". I feel their (plural) time has come.
Donut where the heck you been dude :D ?? I've wondered where you've been lately. No there are literally dozens of models I would like to see have a Spyderedge option. Like I said earlier back around the 1998 to 2005 era you could get most any model in SE. And what baffles me is that even SE models that many people weren't all that big on are even getting tough to find. Go try to find a POLICE model in ATS-55 in either SE or CE and you'll see what I mean. And those used to be as common as house flies.
Donut aren't you one of the guys who wanted the KRIS in SE or have I got you confused with someone else? The Lil T in full SE was a pitbull that most people never got to experience first hand. The JD Smith in full SE along with the Howard Viele model in SE were both fairly common at one time but go try to find one now.
But your initial point is well taken. Please tell me of any model I missed that you wanted mentioned to be in SE ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Just throwing it out there, I got a second Caribbean today and the serrations are among the sharpest edges I've ever felt, including blades I've sharpened myself, including plain edge blades. This thing is stupid sharp right out of the box. The folks in Taichung really seem to know how to lay down some serrations and I think we need more of that. I've been thinking about sending a Sliverax off to have it custom ground, but I would jump all over a production SE Sliverax.
Hey dude I forgot to ask you if you had that done before yet? I've heard good about Wiley Knives and I've heard about another knife maker over at BF that does custom serrations. I'm thinking about having one of my PE Dodo models done but I want some testimonies of their work first>> or better yet I would like to see their SE patterns first hand. But I would certainly want to know which pattern they are using. And I'm wondering do to possibility patent infringements if you could legally do a model with serrations similar to Spyderco's? I heard that when they started calling their serrations the Spyderedge back in the late 90s that hey had those patented and trademarked. Although I've seen a number of serrated and combo edged blades of other manufacturers very similar to Spyderco's>> if not an exact copy?
Albeit I'm not opposed to other serration patterns and I wish Spyderco would check into different patterns at some point. But I would prefer to test drive them first.
But both those models you mentioned would be well welcomed to the main line up I'm sure. I'm still confused as to why they don't offer the TUSK in SE especially when it's marketed as a marine type knife???
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:31 pm
Evil D wrote:
Just throwing it out there, I got a second Caribbean today...

Nice. Is it leaf or sheepsfoot?

I got the sheepsfoot this time around. I have a couple mods planned :D
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:16 pm
Evil D wrote:
Hey dude I forgot to ask you if you had that done before yet? I've heard good about Wiley Knives and I've heard about another knife maker over at BF that does custom serrations. I'm thinking about having one of my PE Dodo models done but I want some testimonies of their work first>> or better yet I would like to see their SE patterns first hand. But I would certainly want to know which pattern they are using. And I'm wondering do to possibility patent infringements if you could legally do a model with serrations similar to Spyderco's? I heard that when they started calling their serrations the Spyderedge back in the late 90s that hey had those patented and trademarked. Although I've seen a number of serrated and combo edged blades of other manufacturers very similar to Spyderco's>> if not an exact copy?
Albeit I'm not opposed to other serration patterns and I wish Spyderco would check into different patterns at some point. But I would prefer to test drive them first.
But both those models you mentioned would be well welcomed to the main line up I'm sure. I'm still confused as to why they don't offer the TUSK in SE especially when it's marketed as a marine type knife???

I haven't myself but at least a few guys here have and from the looks of it they do Spyderco pattern pretty good. The only problem (of sorts) is that since they're cut on a traditional V edge the back side of the serrations have leftover bevels on the tips of the teeth. Because of that I was also looking to maybe have the blade ground flat on the back so it's a chisel grind before the serrations get cut.

In the end that'll all add up though. I would MUCH rather Spyderco do it themselves. Honestly I'd even pay a few bucks more if necessary. I think the Sliverax is perfect for SE, the negative blade angle will work awesome with serrations in pull cuts.
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've been around, just not around very often and not posting a lot.

Haven't really been looking for knives much lately, either.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:37 pm

Well glad you're back my friend :) So what other models than the KRIS, CAPTAIN and DODO models would you like to see in full Spyderedge?
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:47 pm
Donut wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:37 pm

Well glad you're back my friend :) So what other models than the KRIS, CAPTAIN and DODO models would you like to see in full Spyderedge?
I was always a fan of FFG Spyder Edge. I wouldn't mind seeing an Endura or Endela in FFG SE.

I think I'm drawing a blank on any more. It could be because it's 2am. =\
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

How about a double edged SE? Twice the fun. Or instead of sharing the real-estate of a mixed PE/SE edge, make a double edge that’s 100% PE on one side, and 100% SE on the other. Call it a Utility Dagger. :)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man